This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    I don't think it was the main reason for most people either. I do think that people who turned out in record numbers who didn't usually vote might have been excited to vote in part by his racial identity, partly because the election was "different" than usual. I very much doubt, however, that most people saw that as the only reason to vote for him. To pretend it was not a factor, though, is silly. I'll even admit that it gave him bonus points in my book, too.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited November 2012
    Louisiana posted a petition on the white house website to peacefully seceede from the US.

I wonder if it will get more signatures from in or out of state ?

Edit: a state resident posted it.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Hm, what would the country loose if Alabama, or multiple states, were allowed to peacefully secede?
  • Replace Louisiana with Puerto Rico.
  • The Federal Government wouldn't let Georgia, North Dakota, Washington, or New Mexico to secede. That's where our nuclear stockpiles are. Besides that, all bets are off.
  • The Federal Government would not let any state secede as they want to avoid dealing with the issue of reintegration once the state's government fails.
  • Left wing pundit: I've got this argument and here are facts and figures which support it and place it squarely in the context of reality.

Right wing pundit: YOU'RE A PANSY FAGGOT WHO ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH FOR OUR MILITARY.
  • Can the feds just cut a state from the union?
  • I wish. I would let Louisiana secede and then just sit back and laugh as they all die.
  • http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/131q6s/a_federally_sponsored_nonprofit_health_insurance/

If this pans out in the next few years I might begin to get ready to forgive Obama and the Dems for not pushing harder on the public option/drowning Joe Lieberman in a crick.
  • Where are you from? I thought "crick" instead of "creek" was a Pennsylvania thing.
  • I was just going for color. We don't say crick where I'm from. :-)
  • A crick is a small creek. ;^)
    Which makes the idea of drowning some bastard in it even more entertaining. The challenge would make for some interesting choreography I imagine. :-D
  • edited November 2012
    Where are you from? I thought "crick" instead of "creek" was a Pennsylvania thing.
    Also a Thar-Be-Dragons New York thing.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
    Which makes the idea of drowning some bastard in it even more entertaining. The challenge would make for some interesting choreography I imagine. :-D
    Cricks are where one finds crawdads.

• edited November 2012
    Where are you from? I thought "crick" instead of "creek" was a Pennsylvania thing.
    "Crick" is also a hillbilly Californian thing.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the entire Internet.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I much prefer mudbug to crawdad.
  • Ahem. This is a fun article to read. Poor Romney:

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/nov/09/what-romney-lost/
    A shrinking portion of the population has enough brains left to appreciate these distinctions. Look at how successful his campaign was in terms of the popular vote, while being the most disreputable, dishonest, parody of a presidential campaign in the history of our country.
  • Holy god. This is also a good thing to put in this thread:

Note that I listened to this and to be completely honest, it just sounds a shade more unhinged than Glenn Beck. I mean, this is what the Modern Republican Party seems to produce nowadays. Not even thoughtful dudes like Steve who try to think about things critically. But angry people like this woman.

I mean, the primary thing on Fox News nowadays is "PACK IT UP WE CAN'T COMPETE WITH SANTA CLAUS". Argh, that's so far from the truth it makes my face hurt.
  • Bill Maher did a pretty decent monologue on the Santa thing. He started out with "Yeah Democrats want stuff. They want crazy shit like little girls not to die of leukemia because their insurers have dropped them as unprofitable..." and went on from there. It was pretty good.
  • Yay! The idiocracy has arrived!

People like her are why I am switching my party affiliation.
  • Yay! The idiocracy has arrived!

People like her are why I am switching my party affiliation.
    I figured. It really sucks that this is what watching Fox News and Limbaugh leads to. I wish there were entertaining but educational outlets that people turned to, it'd make discussions more enjoyable.

I mean, I've got anecdotal stories out the wazoo (the butt). I have several friends who weren't angry until they started listening to Limbaugh. If you do not want/have time/have the inclination to disprove his stuff, it all sounds very right. It "Feels" right. And when you start buying into it, you naturally get very angry because why not? The country is going to shit, you should be angry.

I also had a friend who switched from Limbaugh to NPR for one month and was able to go off of blood pressure medication. Probably sleep better, too. The soothing sounds of NPR's spokesvoices will do that.

• NPR is quite soothing ... Cayenne Wolf...
  • I bet you could study that, actually. They seem to use less loud notes and sharp sounds. Their voices are also very baritone and sometimes devoid of emotion.

Limbaugh's voice is vaguely grating though, and his music is a bit more aggressive.
  • edited November 2012
    Limbaugh, despite being a drug-addled gasbag, is a very talented individual. He pretty much has figured out how to pull off Jedi mind tricks over talk radio without being Force sensitive and how to make serious bank doing so.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Lying loudly about dog whistle politics on upward on the subtlety scale is not exactly a Jedi mind trick. He just pushes well known buttons and happened to be the loudest, firstest, angriest.
  • edited November 2012
    Lying loudly about dog whistle politics on upward on the subtlety scale is not exactly a Jedi mind trick. He just pushes well known buttons and happened to be the loudest, firstest, angriest.
    Yes, but he is so damned good at lying that he is able to convince the weak minded to agree with him. That's Jedi mind trick territory.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on