This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    You know, my wife honestly feels (and is worried) that there is a very good chance there will be a legitimate, and maybe even successful, assassination attempt on Obama during his second term.
    The pedant in me wants to know; what would differentiate a legitimate assassination attempt from an illegitimate one?

Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • edited November 2012
    You know, my wife honestly feels (and is worried) that there is a very good chance there will be a legitimate, and maybe even successful, assassination attempt on Obama during his second term.
    While I don't doubt that there may be an attempt on his life, you do not want to fuck with the Secret Service. Seriously, they take EVERY threat (that they know about) against the president very seriously.

Ted Nugent has been investigated. A lot.
    Definitely. I'm not saying that I don't take the Secret Service seriously, and neither is she. However, no organization is perfect. JFK was assassinated. Reagan was nearly assassinated. Admittedly, I'd be shocked if the Secret Service didn't beef up their protocols as a result of both those events and any other threats that may have come up since then. However, if you have enough wackjobs who are crazy enough to try to assassinate the President out there, the odds that one of them may be lucky enough to actually pull it off does go up.
    The pedant in me wants to know; what would differentiate a legitimate assassination attempt from an illegitimate one?
    A "legitimate" assassination attempt is one where someone is serious about doing the deed and actually puts enough effort and skill into it to be a competent threat. I suppose a "competent" attempt would've been a better word to describe it. Obviously, an "illegitimate" attempt is one that is not competent.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Nit to mention if someone DID accomplish that there wouldn't be a safe place in America. It'd be Lee Harvey Oswald all over again.
  • Nit to mention if someone DID accomplish that there wouldn't be a safe place in America. It'd be Lee Harvey Oswald all over again.
    Nobody is completely safe, ever. Or what do you mean by this?
  • edited November 2012
    Nit to mention if someone DID accomplish that there wouldn't be a safe place in America. It'd be Lee Harvey Oswald all over again.
    He means that it'd be a witchhunt for the killers. If they were found by someone other than the police, someone would kill them in the street ala Jack Ruby.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'd probably buy a plane ticket to punch Jack.
  • Oh, I never assumed an assassin wouldn't already have committed to throwing his life away over it. If you're killing kings, you're either planning to become king yourself or you're throwing the weight of your corpse behind it.
    There would be lunch mobs after the
    Poor fool. They couldn't go anywhere without the threat of people trying to shoot them. Any place holding them would have to be locked down in case someone tries to blow it up to take the assassin out. Not even any jail would be safe for them.
  • lunch mobs
    Guys, can we form a lunch mob? That sounds infinitely up my alley.

• lunch mobs

I would love to form a lunch mob. It sounds neat. I recommend 5 guys they have good burgers.

• There would be lunch mobs after the
    Poor fool. They couldn't go anywhere without the threat of people trying to shoot them. Any place holding them would have to be locked down in case someone tries to blow it up to take the assassin out. Not even any jail would be safe for them.
    I think you mean lynch mobs.

Personally, I think if the guy manages to escape getting caught/shot/etc., for long enough, I can see a Branch Davidian/Waco, TX style situation where he meets up with a bunch of other wackos who wanted to see the President assassinated and barricades himself in some sort of makeshift fort along with his heavily armed fellow wackos.
  • lunch mobs

I would love to form a lunch mob. It sounds neat. I recommend 5 guys they have good burgers.

Meh, I was never wild about Five Guys.

Now a Cheddar or Southwest style burger from Cook Out is something I can get behind. Cook Out style is also pretty good.

• There would be lunch mobs after the
    I think you mean lynch mobs.

Personally, I think if the guy manages to escape getting caught/shot/etc., for long enough, I can see a Branch Davidian/Waco, TX style situation where he meets up with a bunch of other wackos who wanted to see the President assassinated and barricades himself in some sort of makeshift fort along with his heavily armed fellow wackos.
    That problem could be solved with two words: Cluster munitions.
  • Cluster munitions have the problem that they don't go off reliably enough to use on home soil. No, the solution is a thermobaric bomb. If the blast, flames and lack of oxygen doesn't get them, the structure will then fall onto their heads.
  • Meh, I was never wild about Five Guys.
  • Or, you know, regular police and our criminal justice system.
  • lunch mobs

Now a Cheddar or Southwest style burger from Cook Out is something I can get behind. Cook Out style is also pretty good.
    I think in a proper lunch mob everyone makes food and brings it. Or some people bring grills and everyone brings a whole shitload of meat and vegetables.
    You go out of your way to be unAmerican.
  • edited November 2012
    lunch mobs

I think in a proper lunch mob everyone makes food and brings it. Or some people bring grills and everyone brings a whole shitload of meat and vegetables.
    Instead of torches and pitchforks we have grills and tongs? I'm okay with this.
    You go out of your way to be unAmerican.
    What can I say? I'm just one of those dirty pinko Nazi commie educated elitist liberals who thinks that everyone should be in a gay marriage with either a child or an animal who can't consent. Is that REALLY so wrong?

Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Or, you know, regular police and our criminal justice system.
    But then how would we sate our regressive bloodlust?! Lord knows I ain't happy until I've set down all semblance of decency and progress in order to pick up my pitchfork and torch!

• edited November 2012
    Or, you know, regular police and our criminal justice system.
    Not enough explosives. We should place claymoore mines in random positions inside the courtroom and connect the detonator to a random number generator.

This is also my suggestion for baseball, golf, C-SPAN and cubical offices.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
    Five Guys is good for what it is: an inexpensive fast food burger that's a notch above McDonald's/Burger King/Wendy's/etc. Compared to those, it is indeed wonderful. The only other place I've been that I'd consider to be in the same class would be In and Out Burger, but I've only been there once, it was several years ago, and I therefore can't fairly compare the two (though I hear from people that have gone to both on numerous occasions that In and Out is better than Five Guys).

Personally, my favorite burger place is the Met Burger Bar, but it's one of those really fancy, high-end, and expensive burger places (though their burgers are still significantly less expensive than the steaks and other dishes on their menu as it's actually part of a fancy steak house). Still, their egg, truffle, and brie burger is something amazing to partake of.

The one burger place I've been to that I would put between Five Guys and the Met Burger Bar would probably be Bartley's Burgers in Harvard Square. Those are some damned good burgers, I tell you.
  • You could hang a chair from a tree (;
  • Flat Parties in Harvard Square is also a lovely place for a burger.
  • Yeah I meant lynch mob. I was on my phone at the time and either missed the Y or it autocorrected. But a lunch mob sounds like a cool idea, maybe make it an offshoot of the FRC?
  • Yeah I meant lynch mob. I was on my phone at the time and either missed the Y or it autocorrected. But a lunch mob sounds like a cool idea, maybe make it an offshoot of the FRC?
    I'd join in with an FRC lunch mob.
  • I'll join a lunch mob.
  • Lunch mob is best mob. I'm in.
  • Copypasta from what I posted on G+ when I saw the Glenn Beck vid earlier:

"Guyz, they're going to come with little guillotines and take your thumbs in the middle of the night. They're going to force-feed you tofu. They're going to make you give up your Dolly Parton collectible plate collection. I have many more predictions because I have another three hours of air to fill, and your memories are too short to hold me accountable for anything I say."
    - Glenn Beck
  • edited November 2012
    This is interesting. Apparently Colorado turned out to be the tipping point in this election, yet Obama won Colorado by 4.7% as opposed to his 2.5% margin in the popular vote - which means that the Republicans got kinda fucked over by the Electoral College.

This might result in the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact getting passed, as it currently has 132 votes and all of those are Democratic bastions. All it would take would be a bunch of Republican states signing up for it, and it would take effect.

It's not as obvious an outcome as would have happened if, say, Obama won overall but lost the popular vote by 1%, but if the Republicans are willing to look at the data for once (as opposed to putting their fingers in their ears and going la la la *cough* unskewed polls *cough*) it might end up going through.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on