This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• RymRym
    edited April 2011
    According to data from smart people, your second biggest expense is probably transportation. Food is probably number 3.
    I spend a little over $100/mo (pre-tax) on transportation. I spent a further $1000 or so a year on long-distance travel (flights for cons, Bolt Busses, occasional train tickets).

I spend over $200 a month just on lunches, not counting weekends. ~$300 a month on groceries. An average dinner out is easily $35.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I spend a little over $100/mo (pre-tax) on transportation.
    You don't own a car. George does.

This is also the problem with using the arithmetical mean for these comparisons.
  • RymRym
    edited April 2011
    This is also the problem with using the arithmetical mean for these comparisons.
    I buy a metrocard every month. It covers 99% of all my transportation needs, and costs a little over $100 pre-tax. Transportation is almost as inelastic as rent for me, and the mean/median/mode are all extremely stable over any period of time.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • You don't own a car. George does.
    I don't own a super expensive car, and I don't use it much. I also live in a major, metropolitan area so food is expensive and eating out is even more. I also eat out quite a lot cause I'm lazy and cause it keeps me social.
  • edited April 2011
    I buy a metrocard every month. It covers 99% of all my transportation needs, and costs a little over $100 pre-tax. Transportation is almost as inelastic as rent for me, and the mean/median/mode are all extremely stable over any period of time.
    Let me clarify what I mean:

The mean is a flawed comparison metric because it is greatly affected by the extremes of the scale. For example, transportation costs are divided into two major chunks: you own a car or you don't. Not owning a car makes your transportation cost intensely low compared to owning a car. Averaging your cost of transportation with George's cost of transportation grossly skews the actual values.

So the result is that you look at an "average" cost of transportation that in no way, shape, or form reflects anyone's actual cost of transportation.
    I don't own a super expensive car, and I don't use it much.
    How much do you pay for the car annually? Gas? Tolls? Insurance? Maintenance?

I guarantee you that it's more than you pay for food.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • How much do you pay for the car annually? Gas? Tolls? Insurance? Maintenance?

I guarantee you that it's more than you pay for food.
    Maybe when you add in all those trips to Albany. But normal monthly expenses are a lot closer than you'd think. I'm by no means an average American. I drive a car that at its worst gets 21 MPG for a start.
  • But normal monthly expenses are a lot closer than you'd think.
    Car payment?
  • But normal monthly expenses are a lot closer than you'd think.
    Car payment?
    Oh my heavens, I completely forgot the primary expense of my automobile!
  • Oh my heavens, I completely forgot the primary expense of my automobile!
    It's a good thing I'm here to double-check you. Who knows what else you might forget?
  • I spend over $200 a month just on lunches, not counting weekends. ~$300 a month on groceries. An average dinner out is easily $35.
    I found a picture of Rym out to lunch.

• edited April 2011
    SHUT IT DOWN!

(Sorry, just saw this again recently and couldn't help myself)
    Post edited by jabrams007 on
  • edited April 2011
    Lisa and I calculated our per-month restaurant (lunches and dinners) expenditures just last week:
    January - $201
    February - $298
    March - $301

We have dinner out with her parents every Sunday evening, plus a weekly dinner with her grandfather, plus my lunches are usually just as cheap at Subway as it would be to pack a sandwich and drink. That doesn't count nights out with friends or the odd mid-week Chinese or ice cream pregnancy cravings. And we usually try to go to a lunch date together on Saturdays.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • ~$300 a month on groceries.
    3600 a year? That's exactly average at-home food expenses. How many dinners out do you eat?
  • edited April 2011
    I spend over $200 a month just on lunches, not counting weekends.
    Suffice to say, I easily spend seventy milllion kajillion bagillion dollars at one easily sitting on appetizers alone, easily, because I easily have the most moneys in teh WAORLD!!!!1111!!!!
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • ~$300 a month on groceries.
    3600 a year? That's exactly average at-home food expenses. How many dinners out do you eat?
    Not counting lunch every day, about 1.5 times a week, though usually at nicer places.
  • Man, I just realized how hard it would be for me to backtrack how much I spend eating out and on groceries because when I go out with people I tend to charge the entire amount and take the cash (so I never have to go to a ATM)....
  • I've spent the last three weeks on a work trip.

Food costs: $0.

Transport costs: $20. Reimbursed.

Drinks costs: $40.

When I'm home in Berlin I find it easy to splash out for good food, and like to think it is balanced by never spending on food when away from home.
  • I've spent the last three weeks on a work trip.

Food costs: $0.

Transport costs: $20. Reimbursed.

Drinks costs: $40.

When I'm home in Berlin I find it easy to splash out for good food, and like to think it is balanced by never spending on food when away from home.
    I take it the ship provides you with free food?
  • Way too much free food. The gym is always available and free, but the always available and free food seems to win out all the time. That and the hot tubs. And the cheap drinks.
  • That sounds awesome. I just looked up wages for working as medical staff on a ship and they aren't that bad; $8k monthly, every other day off, all the perks of the job. It wouldn't be a bad way to work off my loans or take a sabbatical after med school.

It says I need a total of 2 years of subordinate experience; any idea how I get that?
  • It says I need a total of 2 years of subordinate experience; any idea how I get that?
    Work on a cargo ship :P
  • It says I need a total of 2 years of subordinate experience; any idea how I get that?
    Work on a cargo ship :P
    I really hope it means "subordinate aboard a cruise ship."
  • edited April 2011
    It probably means crew work in general. But low-level work on a cruise ship really isn't much more glamorous than commercial shipping, to be honest.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited April 2011
    It probably means crew work in general. But low-level work on a cruise ship really isn't much more glamorous than commercial shipping, to be honest.
    I figured as much. Also, there's no reason for me to work on their crew as a doctor for that pay when I can bring a laptop and do the same thing for someone else (as a Nighthawk radiologist) to the tune of $10-20k monthly. Although, doing that, I'd much rather set up shop in Australia or Japan or something.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Why not MSF?
  • Republicans want to make sure troops get paid and that NASCAR can receive government funding, but don't want to limit spending in Afghanistan and want to eliminate funding for planned parenthood, bar the EPA from monitoring geenhouse gasses, and ban all financing for healthcare laws.
    Link.
    How can anyone not see these assholes for the self-serving evil motherfuckers that they are?!
  • How can anyone not see these assholes for the self-serving evil motherfuckers that they are?!
    Most people aren't looking...
  • NAS-FUCKING-CAR.
  • NAS-FUCKING-CAR.
    Good ole boys Merican sport.
  • How can anyone not see these assholes for the self-serving evil motherfuckers that they are?!
    Too many people actually think these are good ideas.