This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• From what I understand, the Department of Veterans Affairs isn't being affected. Our budget was already approved.

Regardless, this tactic is such bullshit and there should be some sort of law penalizing Congress for now doing their goddamn job.
  • Wait, are you telling me that the Republican party might not have been earnest in its desire to improve the economy, and instead is hypocritically doing whatever it can to gain power?!?!?!
    Conspiracy!
  • From what I understand, the Department of Veterans Affairs isn't being affected. Our budget was already approved.

Regardless, this tactic is such bullshit and there should be some sort of law penalizing Congress for now doing their goddamn job.
    Yea, the problem isn't people who are already signed up but anyone who is trying to sign up will be unable to.
  • I'm not up on the history of American politics. Has anything like this ever happened before?
  • I'm not up on the history of American politics. Has anything like this ever happened before?
    Check out The government shutdown of 1995.
    The longest shutdown we've had was in 1995, I think. It lasted a bit under a month.

There have been other gaps in government, but only a few days at a time.

I wonder about federal farm assistance programs. If they're not paid from trust funds, then a lot of farmers wouldn't get needed assistance, leading to increased food costs. I wonder how long people will tolerate paying 2 - 3 times as much for their food.
  • I wonder how long people will tolerate paying 2 - 3 times as much for their food.
    They won't notice, or they'll complain but take no action. I don't think Americans have the capacity for real outrage anymore.
  • edited April 2011
    They won't notice
    I highly doubt that. It would take a couple of months of shutdown to really happen, though, so I doubt we'll ever get to find out.
    I don't think Americans have the capacity for real outrage anymore.
    Have you seen the Tea Party? Outrage is all this country ever has. The problem with our government is that we makes strings of knee-jerk decisions in response to outrage.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Pete's right. Fox News is an outrage machine.
  • After reading Wikipedia I am guessing the narrative favored by the GOP is that the 1995 shutdown was a brilliant political tactic (since it sent Clinton's approval rating down) which was ruined solely by a slip of Newt Gingrich's tongue (quoted complaining about being sent to the back of Air Force One thus losing the moral high ground) and the weak will of Bob Dole.

Now, with a full fledged alternative media in Fox News and a limitless supply of cash from groups like Koch Industries they figure they can strangle the Dems and control the story.
  • edited April 2011
    They won't notice
    I highly doubt that. It would take a couple of months of shutdown to really happen, though, so I doubt we'll ever get to find out.
    I don't think Americans have the capacity for real outrage anymore.
    Have you seen the Tea Party? Outrage is all this country ever has. The problem with our government is that we makes strings of knee-jerk decisions in response to outrage.
    What conditions do you think would actually have to exist before real grass-roots, non-corporate sponsored tea bagging, protests begin? I think that, in addition to food prices going up, something would have to happen to the entertainment industry. I'm pretty satisfied that, as long as American Idol and the 5 billion channels/types of corporate sponsored home entertainment exist, the public will just remain on their couches.

Back in Vietnam times, we had Laugh-In and The Ed Sullivan Show. Have you ever seen that crap? It was easy not to be lulled into complacency when those were your only home entertainment choices.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I'm pretty satisfied that, as long as American Idol and the 5 billion channels/types of corporate sponsored home entertainment exist, the public will just remain on their couches.
    Remember, you need bread with those circuses. Take away the bread and see what happens.
  • They won't notice, or they'll complain but take no action. I don't think Americans have the capacity for real outrage anymore.
    Wisconsin says hello?
  • Back in Vietnam times, we had Laugh-In and The Ed Sullivan Show. Have you ever seen that crap? It was easy not to be lulled into complacency when those were your only home entertainment choices.
    Hey, you also Had Gunsmoke, which was pretty good. And, coincidentally, also Ran from '55 to '75, and ran for about 22 days longer than the war.
  • Wisconsin says hello?
    Call me when the recall campaign succeeds. ;^)
  • edited April 2011
    I'm pretty satisfied that, as long as American Idol and the 5 billion channels/types of corporate sponsored home entertainment exist, the public will just remain on their couches.
    Remember, you need bread with those circuses. Take away the bread and see what happens.
    Oh, I'm not disputing that. I just think that, if the only inconvenience is a little price bump, no one will care as long as American Idol isn't interrupted.

If something major happened to food distribution, some people might take to the streets, but there'd be a significant percentage who are so fat they'll just stay seated and live off ketogenesis.
    Back in Vietnam times, we had Laugh-In and The Ed Sullivan Show. Have you ever seen that crap? It was easy not to be lulled into complacency when those were your only home entertainment choices.
    Hey, you also Had Gunsmoke, which was pretty good.
    I never liked Gunsmoke. I always thought The Wild, Wild West and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. were much better. Of couse, very few people agreed with me.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Wisconsin says hello?
    Call me when the recall campaign succeeds. ;^)
    Hey, the recent Wi. Supreme Court election has essentially turned into a referendum on Walker. An election that was a shoe-in six months ago now looks like the "republican" incumbent will lose.
  • Hey, the recent Wi. Supreme Court election has essentially turned into a referendum on Walker. An election that was a shoe-in six months ago now looks like the "republican" incumbent will lose.
    Yea, usually a incumbent judge doesn't get thrown out especially after 30 years of not pissing people off. He was 30% ahead before all this stuff went down now he probably lost. That's pretty crazy.
  • Call me when the recall campaign succeeds. ;^)
    MOVING GOALPOSTS!

You said:
    They won't notice, or they'll complain but take no action. I don't think Americans have the capacity for real outrage anymore.
    BAM! They're showing real outrage and protesting. That's "taking action." You never said they had to accomplish anything.

So what do we win?
  • BAM! They're showing real outrage and protesting. That's "taking action."
    Y'know, you're right about that. Maybe there is some hope after all.

I haven't seen good chaos in a long time. Maybe before it's over, the U.N. will have to send troops here.
  • BAM! They're showing real outrage and protesting. That's "taking action." You never said they had to accomplish anything.

So what do we win?
    Fine, I'll say that outrage is weak and pointless unless followed up with successful change.
  • Gov't shutdown means uber bad news for my industry.
  • edited April 2011
    I just think that, if the only inconvenience is a little price bump, no one will care as long as American Idol isn't interrupted.
    I was curious about this, so I decided to check out the way that Americans spend their paychecks.

Apparently, we spend roughly twice as much on food at home as we do on entertainment, and about that amount again on food away from home. It looks to me like rising food costs would really just hurt the restaurant industry, and not so much the entertainment industry.

This is assuming that people stop eating out as much as at-home food costs rise.
    Fine, I'll say that outrage is weak and pointless unless followed up with successful change.
    Well, Tea Party outrage led us to this point. That's certainly change.

What this is teaching me is that the best way to get something to happen is to bitch and moan and be incredibly irrational and stupid, to the point that sane people get the fuck out of your way and let you do what you want.

I hate everything.
  • Fine, I'll say that outrage is weak and pointless unless followed up with successful change.
    Is booting out an incumbent judge, in an election which will likely change the outcome of important decisions of many cases (including the union busting law), not successful change?
  • Is booting out an incumbent judge, in an election which will likely change the outcome of important decisions of many cases (including the union busting law), not successful change?
    Rym just doesn't want to be wrong.

Haters gotta hate!
  • edited April 2011
    Apparently, we spend roughly twice as much on food at home as we do on entertainment, and about that amount again on food away from home. It looks to me like rising food costs would really just hurt the restaurant industry, and not so much the entertainment industry.
    I believe it . My biggest expense is rent, followed by food. Meat is expensive.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited April 2011
    My biggest expense is rent, followed by food.
    According to data from smart people, your second biggest expense is probably transportation. Food is probably number 3.

I mean, you did just buy that Miata. I'm pretty sure one Miata is more than your annual food budget.

EDIT: I think it's time for my semi-annual "what do I have to do to move to Oslo" investigation.

One-way airfare to Norway is pretty cheap.
  • Apparently, we spend roughly twice as much on food at home as we do on entertainment, and about that amount again on food away from home. It looks to me like rising food costs would really just hurt the restaurant industry, and not so much the entertainment industry.
    I'm very guilty of this. I am very lazy when it comes to cooking and love the local eateries here.
  • According to data from smart people, your second biggest expense is probably transportation. Food is probably number 3.
    It's very close actually. I live very close to work so my fuel costs are almost non-existent.
  • edited April 2011
    I eagerly await some clever left-wingers figuring out how to enrage the tea-bagger base against the republicans using irrational fear and hatemongering.
    That would be comedy gold.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on