This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Desktop Screenshots: Fall 2009

Comments

• 4Walled is trying to do the 4scrape thing, but it needs some improvement. I have to go to work now, but I'll try to get you that Hulk/Wolverine paper later.
  • 4Walledis trying to do the 4scrape thing, but it needs some improvement. I have to go to work now, but I'll try to get you that Hulk/Wolverine paper later.
    Yay! It may not be as good as 4scrape, but it's something.
  • This has looked like this for some time now. I should change wallpaper someday.
    That is awesome and I want it.

Can you post the full version of it so I can use it?
  • @Chaosof99 -- what is that wallpaper from? Who are those characters?
  • edited September 2009
    @Chaosof99 -- what is that wallpaper from? Who are those characters?
    The characters are from One Piece. The Artwork is by somebody who goes by the name Nankano who does fanart in this more realistic style for a variety of properties as well as original art. When I checked the site today, the most recent thing was a Hatsune Miku. Highly recommend checking out the gallery on the site.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • The characters are from One Piece. The Artwork is by somebody who goes by the nameNankanowho does fanart in this more realistic style for a variety of properties as well as original art.
    Pretty rad, thanks. No wonder I didn't recognize it. I've never read/watched One Piece, but I'd recognize the characters, largely because of the artist's style.
  • I do but it takes so much longer to wade through pages where as 4scrape had a quick search engine which gave me whatever I wanted very quickly.
    Sorry, the temporary 4scrape copies are now down. The copies that aren't explicitly named 'temporary' (4walled, 9scrape, scr4pe) are all shit, making various stupid design decisions and using crap servers amongst others. Nik.bot was a temporary server than ran in a freaking virtual machine and it kicked the snot out of 4walled et co, especially performance-wise. So yeah, you'll most likely find what you want faster via the original source than the shitty clones. Trust me when I say, the temporary clones of 4scrape were good (not great), the more 'permanent' clones have more than a long way to go.
  • Can I ask why you use a depiction of a naked 12 year old girl as your desktop image? Isn't that a bit weird? Or are you 13 yourself?
    Funny when people get all haughty about stuff they know nothing about. Oh internet. She's a centuries old pagan diety in a 15 year old body. And she actually acts as if she just might be centuries old instead of 15.
  • 4Walledis trying to do the 4scrape thing, but it needs some improvement. I have to go to work now, but I'll try to get you that Hulk/Wolverine paper later.
    I do but it takes so much longer to wade through pages where as 4scrape had a quick search engine which gave me whatever I wanted very quickly.
    Sorry, the temporary 4scrape copies are now down. The copies that aren't explicitly named 'temporary' (4walled, 9scrape, scr4pe) are all shit, making various stupid design decisions and using crap servers amongst others. Nik.bot was a temporary server than ran in a freaking virtual machine and it kicked the snot out of 4walled et co, especially performance-wise. So yeah, you'll most likely find what you want faster via the original source than the shitty clones. Trust me when I say, the temporary clones of 4scrape were good (not great), the more 'permanent' clones have more than a long way to go.
    Thanks for the updates!
  • Can I ask why you use a depiction of a naked 12 year old girl as your desktop image? Isn't that a bit weird? Or are you 13 yourself?
    Funny when people get all haughty about stuff they know nothing about. Oh internet. She's a centuries old pagan diety in a 15 year old body. And she actually acts as if she just might be centuries old instead of 15.
    Isn't this just an excuse to justify pedophilia?
  • Isn't this just an excuse to justify pedophilia?
    Not that I mean to defend it, but if she's 15, it's got nothing to do with pedophilia. Pedophilia = prepubescent.
  • *Erects blast shield and reclines behind it in a leisurely fashion.*
  • edited September 2009
    Isn't this just an excuse to justify pedophilia?
    Not that I mean to defend it, but if she's 15, it's got nothing to do with pedophilia. Pedophilia = prepubescent.
    Via Wiki: In law enforcement, the term "pedophile" is generally used to describe those accused or convicted of the sexual abuse of a minor (including both prepubescent children and adolescent minors younger than the local age of consent).[13] An example of this use can be seen in various forensic training manuals. Some researchers have described this usage as improper and suggested it can confound two separate types of offenders.[13] In common usage, the term refers to any adult who is sexually attracted to children or who sexually abuses a child.[12][14]

Regardless of how matured the organs are, 15 is too young to give sexual consent.
    Post edited by Jason on
    Bilinda <33
    I don't think a simple and polite question about something I thought a bit weird is haughty. Quoting out of context means makes it look like this was something that really mattered to me, as the main part of my post, rather than just something added after answering a question about jpg vs png colour reproduction. And the question was already answered, if you care to read further. A fifteen year old boy using an image of a naked fifteen year old (bodied) girl as his desktop image is fine, even if I think she looks a lot younger in that image.
  • Via Wiki: In law enforcement, the term "pedophile" is generally used to describe those accused or convicted of the sexual abuse of a minor (including both prepubescent children and adolescent minors younger than the local age of consent).[13] An example of this use can be seen in various forensic training manuals. Some researchers have described this usage as improper and suggested it can confound two separate types of offenders.[13] In common usage, the term refers to any adult who is sexually attracted to children or who sexually abuses a child.[12][14]
    Also via Wiki,
    As a medical diagnosis, it is defined as a psychological disorder in which an adult experiences a sexual preference for prepubescent children.
    This is in contrast to hebephilia and ephebophilia, which are attraction to early-pubescent children and late-pubescent children, respectively.
    Regardless of how matured the organs are, 15 is too young to give sexual consent.
    No argument there -- that wasn't my point. Only the definition of the word you used. Maybe that's too pedantic.
  • Isn't this just an excuse to justify pedophilia?
    For some, yes. But there are worse examples. Also, the age of consent in Japan is 13 years old.
  • For some, yes. But there are worse examples. Also, the age of consent in Japan is 13 years old.
    Is that true? If it is, that really explains a lot.
  • Is that true? If it is, that really explains a lot.
    Quicky wiki gave me that age, though prefectures may have a law that disallows sexual intercourse under the age of 18 or something like that.
  • @Linktothepresent: Dude, you should totally try the new "Saint Seiya: The Lost Cavas" wallpapers :P
  • I don't think a simple and polite question about something I thought a bit weird is haughty. Quoting out of context means makes it look like this was something that really mattered to me, as the main part of my post, rather than just something added after answering a question about jpg vs png colour reproduction. And the question was already answered, if you care to read further. A fifteen year old boy using an image of a naked fifteen year old (bodied) girl as his desktop image is fine, even if I think she looks a lot younger in that image.
    Pleeease. No matter what the point of most of your post was, the barrage of questions you asked weren’t out of mere curiosity. “Isn’t that a naked 12 year old? Isn’t it weird to like naked 12 year olds? Are you 12?” That’s just a nicer-looking way of being accusatory or judgmental. You know the likelihood of anyone here being 12 or 13, I’m sure.

Also, I like that show, I like that character, I think she is very well-written and I like the way she’s drawn (though she –is- prettier with clothes, I think). I also often forget that she’s inhabiting the body of a 15 year old due to the way she is written and the very nature of the show being rather non-sexual. I’d put her on my desktop too, because I think she’s awesome. It’s not always an “excuse to justify pedophilia”. Perverts. :P
  • edited September 2009
    “Isn’t that a naked 12 year old? Isn’t it weird to like naked 12 year olds? Are you 12?”
    That isn't what I wrote, and that isn't the intended tone of my post:

"Can I ask why you use a depiction of a naked 12 year old girl as your desktop image? Isn't that a bit weird? Or are you 13 yourself?"

To my non-manga/anime trained eye, the girl is depicted as being very young, about 12. It turns out I was wrong, and she's actually 15. Also, I never called him weird, nor did I say he liked naked 12 year olds. It ISN'T a naked 12 year old, nor is a picture of a photo 12 year old, it is a depiction of a 12 year old. Or 15, as I've been corrected.

If he was 25 years old I WOULD call him a bit weird for using that image as his desktop. But "Or" is the key word here, because being 12 (or 13) and sharing that you use an image of a 12 year old girl as your desktop is NOT weird, it's perfectly understandable. Similarly using an image of a 15 year old naked girl is not weird at all if you are 15. So no problem.

If someone was 30 and they liked such images, I wouldn't find it it weird. If they used such an image as their desktop I'd find it a "bit weird" (the word "bit" was intentional). If they started a new thread in a forum because they were so excited about their new desktop image of a 15 year old girl, and posted the image twice? That would be a quite a bit weird, and I'd probably make a similar post asking about it.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Honestly, the constant depiction of younger looking girls in anime, manga and tans (regardless of any plot excuse) scantily clad or in a sexual intcicing role does bother me a bit. To be concerned or dislike something is not necessarily the same thing as being "haughty" about it.
  • To ask questions that put someone into a defensive corner with implications that they might be sexually attracted to 12 year olds based on a desktop screenshot is what I considered "haughty", not a general concern or dislike.
  • edited September 2009
    To ask questions that put someone into a defensive corner with implications that they might be sexually attracted to 12 year olds based on a desktop screenshot is what I considered "haughty", not a general concern or dislike.
    I see your point. His comment didn't come off to me that way and possibly suffers from a lack of inflection and tone. When I read it, I interpreted it almost word for word as he described, but it takes all kinds to make a world.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • To ask questions that put someone into a defensive corner with implications that they might be sexually attracted to 12 year olds based on a desktop screenshot is what I considered "haughty", not a general concern or dislike.
    Look, if I really cared, I would have posted right away, not a day later. And I'd have posted it in my first response to the thread, not my second. After I explained myself, and outlined the reasons for just about every word choice and how they related to my thoughts at the time, why can't you just drop it? How could I have been putting someone in a defensive corner when I provided, right there at the end of my post, the very reason I'm fine with the actual truth of the matter. That being: it would be a bit weird if you use depictions of 12 year old girls this as your desktop, unless you are 12 yourself. It wasn't "What are you, 12?" it was "Or are you 12 yourself?" Big difference. You'd do well to not misquote people.

Also, while the nakedness of the picture is an issue, what is to say I the issues I had had anything to do with sexual attraction? To be honest, I think the stuff in that other thread is really weird, showing operating systems as little girls and stuff like that. There's probably nothing sexual going on at all, I just find any situation where grown men have long discussions about young girls weird. I just don't understand the appeal in any regard, and think those involved should probably grow up a bit. It's more to do with maturity levels than implications of sexual deviance.
  • edited September 2009
    I'm 15, so I don't see how it would count as pedophilia. You wouldn't call a 5 year old a pedo if he liked another 5 year old, so I really don't see a problem with me having a wallpaper if the character and I are the same age (physically, at least).

EDIT: After reading some other posts, I came across this:
    If someone was 30 and they liked such images, I wouldn't find it it weird. If they used such an image as their desktop I'd find it a "bit weird" (the word "bit" was intentional). If they started a new thread in a forum because they were so excited about their new desktop image of a 15 year old girl, and posted the image twice? That would be a quite a bit weird, and I'd probably make a similar post asking about it.
    Did I make the thread out of excitement of my desktop? I don't think so. I had a problem with the colors of PNG images being a bit warmer in tone than others.
    I don't think a simple and polite question about something I thought a bit weird is haughty. Quoting out of context means makes it look like this was something that really mattered to me, as the main part of my post, rather than just something added after answering a question about jpg vs png colour reproduction. And the question was already answered, if you care to read further. A fifteen year old boy using an image of a naked fifteen year old (bodied) girl as his desktop image is fine, even if I think she looks a lot younger in that image.
    Pleeease. No matter what the point of most of your post was, the barrage of questions you asked weren’t out of mere curiosity. “Isn’t that a naked 12 year old? Isn’t it weird to like naked 12 year olds? Are you 12?” That’s just a nicer-looking way of being accusatory or judgmental. You know the likelihood of anyone here being 12 or 13, I’m sure.

Also, I like that show, I like that character, I think she is very well-written and I like the way she’s drawn (though she –is- prettier with clothes, I think). I also often forget that she’s inhabiting the body of a 15 year old due to the way she is written and the very nature of the show being rather non-sexual. I’d put her on my desktop too, because I think she’s awesome. It’s not always an “excuse to justify pedophilia”. Perverts. :P
    LOL, I love your posts. :3
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • edited September 2009
    It is strange to me that people get offended when someone asks a question. I can certainly understand if the person being asked the question wishes not to answer it for any reason, but I can't understand why they would assume that the question is loaded or judgmental (particularly in a text only environment). For example, a person may say "I believe in the literal truth of the Bible." Another may follow up that statement with question like "How do you reconcile the hypocrisies and historical inaccuracies?" and rather than answering, or refusing to answer outright, the person is offended that someone would even ask such a question. Asking questions is reasonable and giving people the benefit of the doubt that they genuinely want to know something before they judge it, appraise it, engage in further discussion on the topic, or out of pure curiosity seems reasonable - particularly when that person goes back and further clarifies their statements.
    I am guilty of jumping to conclusions by inserting my own insecurities, prejudices, assumptions, and context to a comment rather than asking for clarification before I jump down someone's throat. Given that this is an all text communication tool that lacks inflection and body language that can more completely convey an idea, couldn't we cut each other some slack and either decline to answer such questions, inquire as to the spirit or intent of the question, or simply answer the question? Can we also accept people's explanations once they are given? If someone words something poorly, certainly a request for clarification or a request that they rephrase their statement is better than a vehement denunciation of that person for merely asking a question.

Just some thoughts to consider and in no way intended as a personal attack on anyone.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on