This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rym and Scott life update?

edited October 2009 in Everything Else
I haven't been listening to the show in rather a long time and we haven't been doing FNPL. I've completely lost track of what the Rym & Scott are up to. The last I remember, Rym was buying a house. Can someone give me a brief summary of the last few months of what's been happening?

Comments

• I haven't been listening to the show in rather a long time and we haven't been doing FNPL. I've completely lost track of what the Rym & Scott are up to. The last I remember, Rym was buying a house. Can someone give me a brief summary of the last few months of what's been happening?
    Exactly when did you stop listening Thaed? Could you give me a month or at least an idea of which half of the year you stopped listening?
  • well last I heard Scott and Rym moved to Iowa to get married.
  • I hope those crazy kids make it.
  • edited October 2009
    well last I heard Scott and Rym moved to Iowa to get married.
    And they lived Scrymily ever after. The End.

BUTTSEX!

Thaed,

They ran many many panels at many various conventions which were all a success. Rym bought a house. Scott's moving into an apartment. They are up to bigger and better things. That's pretty much it. They said they're going to do a "State of the Podcast" episode soon.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Wow, so they really aren't going to live together anymore?! That's huge! My first thought is: Emily won.

I didn't want to say when I stopped listening, but I think it was April (and that has nothing to do with their show, my whole internet focus changed).
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    Wait a minute, what? Rym and Scott are not living together anymore? When was this announced?

One more question though. Whatever happened to the Geekhaus or is that just like The Barge?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • If they aren't going to live together anymore, I expect to hear "1... 2... 3... CLAP!!" on the next episodes of GeekNights.
    How will they make it on their own?

This world is awfully big, and boys this time, you're all alone.
  • Have you not been paying attention? Rym has been looking for a house for about two years now. Did you really think he was buying a place for him and Scott not him and Emily?
  • Have you not been paying attention? Rym has been looking for a house for about two years now. Did you really think he was buying a place for him and Scott not him and Emily?
    They have been adamant about the Geekhaus for years and Scott has even used the phrase "alternative lifestyle" before. I'm just surprised. The greatest FNPL we ever did was when the group ganged up on R&S; about how people drift apart and they said the FRC would go on unchanged forever. Yet change happens.
    Iowa? With Connecticut less than an hour away from them?
    Wow, so they really aren't going to live together anymore?! That's huge! My first thought is: Emily won.
    Emily used to tell me that people said stuff like that here, and I found it hard to believe. Hahahaha.
  • edited October 2009
    The greatest FNPL we ever did was when the group ganged up on R&S; about how people drift apart and they said the FRC would go on unchanged forever. Yet change happens.
    Heyheyheynow, didn't a lot of them meet in college? Aren't a lot of the FRC all over the east coast now? Two of us have been friends since Kindergarten and live separately in NY and Texas now. Hasn't that change already happened? People can drift apart physically or move into different houses, but bonds of friendship can totally sustain.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • So, are they not doing the podcast in the same room anymore? Will it be VOIP'd? Or will it cease to exist?
  • So, are they not doing the podcast in the same room anymore? Will it be VOIP'd? Or will it cease to exist?
    I'd assume they're going to meet in real life in order to record episodes.
    My hopes is that we'll get fewer episodes, but maybe longer, higher quality episodes, since it'll probably be only convenient for them to meet once a week or so. Who knows. Maybe it'll still be two a week.
    They have been adamant about the Geekhaus for years and Scott has even used the phrase "alternative lifestyle" before. I'm just surprised. The greatest FNPL we ever did was when the group ganged up on R&S; about how people drift apart and they said the FRC would go on unchanged forever. Yet change happens.
    I should have quoted better, I wasn't replying to you but Lordyupa, who I presumed still listens to the show.

I remember that FNPL (oh, I'll miss FNPL) and generally take the middle ground. I have a group of friends who I chat with every day online, and have done for the past 9 years. I didn't go to college with them, but the internet does allow for a wide ranging group of close friends who are often more helpful and sympathetic than family members. It isn't often that the 15 of us ever meet as a whole group, but daily communication can sometimes mean more than annual get togethers.
  • Emily broke up the band when she made Rym sing "Instant Podcast".
  • What does FNPL mean?
  • They have been adamant about the Geekhaus for years and Scott has even used the phrase "alternative lifestyle" before. I'm just surprised. The greatest FNPL we ever did was when the group ganged up on R&S; about how people drift apart and they said the FRC would go on unchanged forever. Yet change happens.
    Just because your not living together doesn't mean your drifting apart... (well I guess it does) but not necessarily in the friendship sense.
  • Why did you guys stop recording FNPL? I thought you got Sonic to edit for you and everything.
  • edited October 2009
    Ok, so we're still living in the same old place as of today.

However, Monday I am signing a lease on an apartment in the city. It's uber fancy. Rym is still dealing with beaurocracy in order to get his house. Lots of papers and moneys flying around. He tells me as soon as the closing date is set, then he's good. If it falls through, he gets a bunch of moneys back.

Also, I know Thaed sees this as an "I told you so" moment. It's not hard to see why. The truth is that the geekhaus is not dead. It has simply grown. It has a large space upstate and a city apartment, and space in Albany, and space in PA, and space in TX, and so on and so on. In New York, rich people have apartments in the city, to live in during the work week, and they have houses in the Hamptons to live in on weekends and vacation. Since we are not rich, we can achieve this luxury in this way instead.

Primarily, not living in the city was becoming an issue. I have a lot of geeky things I want to accomplish, and commuting was making that very difficult. The enormous cost of a city apartment is well worth the almost two hours I will save every single day. Also, there have been more and more occurrences lately where we have wanted to attend events in the city, often geeky ones, and have been unable to do so because we live so far away. The city apartment enables us to go to shows, concerts, conventions, meetups, clubs, classes, games, and what have you, without having to worry about what time the train home is.

If we were geeks with more rural jobs, the geek haus probably would have remained a single house, if not an entire plantation. The realities of being city-working people, not wives and kids and other suburban priorities, are the reasons for this moving.

Also, personally, I just get agitated by stability. I always have to be moving and shaking. Throughout my entire life, I have rarely had as much stability and consistency than I have had over the past years.

I lived in Queens from when I was 0 to 1.
    I lived in Bridgeport, CT from when I was 1 to 2.
    I lived in Trumbull, CT from when I was 2-18 BUT
    I switch from pre-school to elementary school, to middle school to high school. Also, each year of school was a pretty significant change. The change was made more significant by changing grades each year, and different activities every single summer.
    Then I went to Israel for a month.
    Then I went to RIT. At RIT I moved once from dorms to apartments. I also had classes changing every 10 weeks, and also different summer activities every year, and also jobs and co-ops that mixed it up.
    Then I lived at home while working for a handful of weeks.
    Then I moved to where I am now, and worked for a year in the city.
    Then I had that same job and worked in the middle of nowhere for about a year.
    Then I switched to the other job for 2 years.
    Only recently did I get the new job at broadway.com, and I'm still living in the same place.

The rate of change has significantly declined in my life. I've been living in the same place for 4-5 years, and recently held jobs for 2 years at a time. That's a long time without any mix-ups. Being so antsy, I had to make some kind of change.

If anything, this only makes the probability of a true Geek Haus greater. With more time in the day, there is an incredibly large amount of time we will be able to spend on doing all the things that have, up until now, stayed in the hopper or been classified as "shit-talking."
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • What does FNPL mean?
    Friday Night Party Line.
  • What does FNPL mean?
    Friday Night Party Line.
    Oh...I should have guessed that.
  • I'm not sure that I'd go as far as to say this is an "I told you so" moment. I am a very big fan of everything you guys do.

And as to FNPL, the fault is entirely mine. I've been wrapped up in other stuff.
  • "1... 2... 3... CLAP!!" on the next episodes of GeekNights.
    Hahaha. I think they should do that one time as an homage to FKFTG.
  • What does FNPL mean?
    Friday Night Party Line.
    "FNPL" always makes me think of pineapple, though. Maybe "fine pineapple".
  • edited October 2009
    I haven't been listening to the show in rather a long time and we haven't been doing FNPL. I've completely lost track of what the Rym & Scott are up to. The last I remember, Rym was buying a house. Can someone give me a brief summary of the last few months of what's been happening?
    We should be asking you that, Thead. You haven't been around. :)

Am I the only one who isn't "Whoa!" about this. Just because they aren't living together doesn't mean their bond is broken. Things change. No big deal.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Am I the only one who isn't "Whoa!" about this. Just because they aren't living together doesn't mean their bond is broken. Things change. No big deal.
    I'm only like "WHOA? They finally got around to moving?", nothing big will change most likely.
  • What neighborhood of the city are you movin' into, Scott?
  • I am genuinely surprised that people want this kind of information about Rym and Scott. Why does anyone except themselves and a few personal friends care what their living arrangement and the details of their personal lives? What is this, the gossip-mag portion of the thread?
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    I think because of the fact that they talk about their personal live a bit (not to mention the fact they did a show about living arrangements) it's hard not to be involved because you'll hear it. Sure you can ignore that kinda stuff, but sooner or later someone will start talking about it on the forums, which is exactly what is happening right now. I'm taking a neutral stance in this position as I really have no opinion about it. I only sounded like I took one before this statement because it was a bit surprising and I thought that they wouldn't actually be in the room together recording the show which may or may not affect the quality of the show.
    Post edited by Geo on