This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rym and Scott life update?

Comments

• Of course, I guess I was concentrating on tasty lamb dumplings and a dog on my lap, so I may have overlooked any flaws.
  • Oh maaaaan, I have not had those dumplings in forever. Now I really wanna get some.
  • edited October 2009
    While you are right about standards Scott, the fact remains that Emily is right about your opinion of organization and cleanliness.
    This sentence completely contradicts itself.

This is one of the rare occasions that I'm with Scott. Things need to be sanitary and that's about all that's required.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited October 2009
    Oh no, my mom never picked up after me. She'd just scream, holler, and ground me until I did it. Maybe that's why I hate it so, because literally for as far back as I can remember I've been grounded every Saturday until my room was clean. Cleaning up has such a negative connotation in my mind that I would rather do pretty much anything than pick up the clothes on the floor around my bed.
    I'm far from incapable.
    Did it never occur to you that a little bit of minimal effort to keep yourself tidy as you went would mitigate the grounding. Don't blame your Mom for not wanting her son to be lazy and messy in her home. :P
    Your problem here is that it is completely subjective which standard is "higher". In your book, cleaner is a "higher" standard. However, in someone else's book, spending less time stressing about meaningless things like organization and spending more time enjoying life is a higher standard. Expecting other people to have the same subjective standards that you have is disrespectful of other's freedom and choices.
    Having a sink full of dishes with rotting food not only smells up a house, but it also attracts pests such as bugs and rodents. That isn't some random anal standard, that is a basic cleanliness and a health and safety concern. Also, if having a house that doesn't stink, a shower that is relatively clean, and a toilet that doesn't give you super-AIDS makes her happy, then she is enjoying her life and you were impinging on her enjoyment.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Did it never occur to you that a little bit of minimal effort to keep yourself tidy as you went would mitigate the grounding.
    No, why do you ask?
  • Your problem here is that it is completely subjective which standard is "higher". In your book, smarter is a "higher" standard. However, in someone else's book, spending less time studying boring things like math and literature, and spending more time goofing off is a higher standard. Expecting other people to have the same subjective standards that you have is disrespectful of other's freedom and choices.
    It is true that my standard of "smarter" being better is completely subjective. The thing is, I don't expect other people to have the same standard. I live and let live.

Oh, if someone is stupid, I might insult them. I might pester them. But I won't have any expectations of them. Nor will I care if they remain stupid or become smart. I may attempt to help them, but so be it, if they don't want my help. If someone wants to be stupid, I will be the last person to get upset or stand in their way. The consequences of life will get the job done. No need for me to do anything.
  • edited October 2009
    Who are you and, what have you done with Scott?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Who are you and, what have you done with Scott?
    I was thinking the same thing.
  • It is true that my standard of "smarter" being better is completely subjective. The thing is, I don't expect other people to have the same standard. I live and let live.

Oh, if someone is stupid, I might insult them. I might pester them. But I won't have any expectations of them. Nor will I care if they remain stupid or become smart. I may attempt to help them, but so be it, if they don't want my help. If someone wants to be stupid, I will be the last person to get upset or stand in their way. The consequences of life will get the job done. No need for me to do anything.
    What if their stupidity actively interferes with your enjoyment of an activity or something?
  • It is true that my standard of "smarter" being better is completely subjective. The thing is, I don't expect other people to have the same standard. I live and let live.

What if their stupidity actively interferes with your enjoyment of an activity or something?
    Who is to say that you making them intelligent won't interfere with their enjoyment of something, so long as that something isn't harmful to others? Other's intellect and understanding is not up to anyone else. If they ask, and you wish to teach, teach. If they are harming themselves and you want to warn them, go ahead. But treading where one is unwanted is a bad idea. If their stupidity ruins your good time, find a way to compromise, or simply inform them that they're harming you in some way. If they're unreasonable, then you can take action.
  • Living in an apartment for the first time I'm learning about the importance of cleaning and cleaning upkeep. Nothing else is out of my control except for the bathroom which is right now eluding me. The kitchen can be disasterous if you let it build up. It's odd dealing with appliances you don't use like a dishwasher. But now I can sympathize much better to you guys cleaning. Smell is so underwhelming until it punches you in the face.

By the way, large college parties aren't all that great considering the amount of prep and clean up afterwards. Have to hide things in my tiny room so they won't be stolen during the party, move furniture and our bathrooms are used by everyone.
  • It's odd dealing with appliances you don't use like a dishwasher.
    @_@ You have a dishwasher that you don't use?
    GAH!!!
  • @_@ You have a dishwasher that you don't use?
    GAH!!!
    I know, that just makes no sense. The dishwasher makes it so easy. If you don't use the dishwasher, you're beyond even my level of lazy. And I'm really lazy!
    @_@ You have a dishwasher that you don't use?
    Echoed. Why the hell wouldn't you use a dishwasher?! That appliance alone is the sole reason why washing dishes and other similar objects is an obsolete practice (unless of course you don't have one which many people don't). If you own a dishwasher, use it all the time, it is a luxury item.
  • If you don't use the dishwasher, you're beyond even my level of lazy. And I'm really lazy!
    Eh, what? If you don't use a dishwasher, the only other option is washing dishes by hand, how's that more lazy than you?
    It's much more odd when you have used one all you life, and then get stuck in a place that has no dishwasher... like my place. It's also weird to discover that you have to leave your apartment building to do laundry. But hey, at least my rent is cheap.
    It's much more odd when you have used one all you life, and then get stuck in a place that has no dishwasher... like my place. It's also weird to discover that you have to leave your apartment building to do laundry. But hey, at least my rent is cheap.
    QFT. This isn't an inflammatory question Nine, but did you have a dishwasher as a child?
  • It's much more odd when you have used one all you life, and then get stuck in a place that has no dishwasher... like my place. It's also weird to discover that you have to leave your apartment building to do laundry. But hey, at least my rent is cheap.
    Not having a dishwasher, I can handle. Not having a washer/dryer in your apartment is something I did for a year and something I really don't like being without. Luckily, when I didn't have a washer/dryer in my apartment, the laundromat at the complex was about 30 yards away from my complex, so it didn't inconvenience me too much.
  • It's much more odd when you have used one all you life, and then get stuck in a place that has no dishwasher... like my place. It's also weird to discover that you have to leave your apartment building to do laundry. But hey, at least my rent is cheap.
    Not having a dishwasher, I can handle. Not having a washer/dryer in your apartment is something I did for a year and something I really don't like being without. Luckily, when I didn't have a washer/dryer in my apartment, the laundromat at the complex was about 30 yards away from my complex, so it didn't inconvenience me too much.
    Having a washer/dryer in the apt. would be great. But I only have to go to the 1st floor so it's ok.

Also, I would love a dishwasher.
  • You don't buy a dishwasher, you marry one!

/rimshot

I've never had a dishwasher at home, so I'm pretty much useless when it comes to operating one. Like Ro, though, I never again want to be without my own washer/dryer setup. It's just so damned convenient.
    GAH!!!
    I know, that just makes no sense. The dishwasher makes it so easy. If you don't use the dishwasher, you're beyond even my level of lazy. And I'm really lazy!
    No no no...

I'm not USED to using a dishwasher. So I'm kind of used to not using one so I clean using just the sink if I have a small load of dishes. I only used the dishwasher if I can fill the whole thing.
    GAH!!!
    No no no...

I'm not USED to using a dishwasher. So I'm kind of used to not using one so I clean using just the sink if I have a small load of dishes. I only used the dishwasher if I can fill the whole thing.
    Well, you can just put a few dirty dishes in the dishwasher and leave them there. Fill it gradually over a few days, and then run it when it's full.
  • Well, you can just put a few dirty dishes in the dishwasher and leave them there. Fill it gradually over a few days, and then run it when it's full.
    You also have to make sure you don't leave food stuffs and what not on your dishes for it to dry over. Even the dishwasher can't perform such miracles to clean out everything on dirty dishes. You have to pre-wash them, or wipe them down before putting in the dishwasher, which is sort of redundant, but you don't want to clog your dishwasher with food stuffs in the bottom.

I just put basic dishes in the dishwasher and hand wash pots, pans, and my huge wok because it takes up way too much space in the dishwasher.
    GAH!!!
    No no no...

Well, you can just put a few dirty dishes in the dishwasher and leave them there. Fill it gradually over a few days, and then run it when it's full.
    Me and my roommates cook rather sporadically, so it's usually just easier to clean the dishes I have by hand. (And they just leave it in the sink, not put it in the dishwasher) And even when we use the dishwasher, we have a tendency to leave them in the dishwasher instead of putting them in the cabinets.

I know this situation can be handled by talking to them, but things are a little rough.
  • You don't buy a dishwasher, you marry one!
    Don't worry, we'll make sure you wear white at the wedding so you match the refrigerator!

I can handle either way. I've lived with a dishwasher and without one. I prefer having the dishwasher because it has the benefit of heat-sanitizing, but it's definitely something I could live without if I had adequate drying space for dishes.
  • Oh god I miss having a dishwasher... Hand washing after a giant cooking project is NOT fun.
  • Man, I miss having a kitchen.
  • Oh god I miss having a dishwasher... Hand washing after a giant cooking project is NOT fun.
    Don't put your pots and pans in the dishwasher. Not a good plan.
  • Don't worry, we'll make sure you wear white at the wedding so you match the refrigerator!
    Um, excuse me, but we're getting a stainless steel refrigerator. White is SO 1990.
  • Man, I miss having a kitchen.
    Me too. They call it a 1/2 kitchen, but it's really not even 1/4 of one. It's just a wall with a fridge, some cabinets, an oven and a sink, and two tiles' length of floor. No counters, no drawers, minimal storage. Dishwashing isn't the only reason why big cooking projects are a challenge.