This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Mouse/Keyboard vs. Gamepad Debate

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Looks to me like maybe that game has adjustable sensitivity settings and they are cranked way up.
    MW2 on the console? Not that useful, that I can recall. You can turn up the stick sensitivity, maybe, but honestly, it doesn't make that much difference to me - I used to play with it turned all the way up, and it was still perfectly usable, and it didn't really make enough of a difference to really notice that much, or even change my play style significantly, let alone account for any improvement against other people.
    Also, notice how he's owning. I hope he doesn't get banned from XBL for cheating.
    True, but we also don't see how many people are in that match or anything else - It could equally easily be a System link LAN game among beta testers, or just randoms. On top of that, while he's damn good, if you took it out to Xbox live, there are still people out on the service who will equal or better that performance with a controller. Therefore, any ban is unlikely.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I've never seen a clearer demonstartion of the fact of the lack of aiming skill required in TF2. It's old school Doom style! Aiming up and down is for lame Quakers. We Dooming it up in this bitch!
  • edited August 2011
    I've never seen a clearer demonstartion of the fact of the lack of aiming skill required in TF2. It's old school Doom style! Aiming up and down is for lame Quakers. We Dooming it up in this bitch!
    He's nothing if not predictable, folks. So, So predictable.

Hey, Why is it that the only time you DON'T repeat yourself over and over is when people actually want to you repeat what you said?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I've never seen a clearer demonstartion of the fact of the lack of aiming skill required in TF2. It's old school Doom style! Aiming up and down is for lame Quakers. We Dooming it up in this bitch!
    Yes, a dude getting owned in TF2 for not being able to strafe or aim up or down, impressive...
    Didn't the first quake auto-aim up and down for you, at least in single player? I know the version I'm playing does.

Also,

>Heavy Weapons Guy
    >aiming
    >image
  • He was actually hitting people and only aiming on a 2D field.
  • Yeah, also, I dunno if you noticed the part where the dude is actually sucking by doing that.
  • Because he's bad at aiming in that 2D field. He didn't have to look up or down in that video to hit anyone.
  • edited August 2011
    Because he's bad at aiming in that 2D field. He didn't have to look up or down in that video to hit anyone.
    Well, except for the people above and below him, but I suppose you're still correct, because he didn't hit them at all, he only hit the people on the same level.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2011
    And he was mostly walking around the corridors of 2Fort in the video, where there is no up and down; that map is one of very few I can think of where you could get away with that, and even then there are lots of areas where lack of ability to aim up or down would render you unable to attack your enemies, like the courtyard, battlements approach, basement stairs, or either set of intel stairs. Besides, the Heavy isn't about aiming, it's about knowing when and where to commit to the attack, protecting your medic, and being able to ensure your team can move safely through the hole you punch for them.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • *Steeringwheel heavy*
    You know what really bothers me about steering wheel controllers?
    1. The wheels aren't as big as real steering wheels.
    2. The pedals work the wrong way around.

I can understand the pedals being like they are, but why can't the wheels be bigger? The only company I've seen do it right has been Logitech.
  • edited August 2011
    The only company I've seen do it right has been Logitech.
    I was about to say that I'd not had this problem with the wheels I've owned, but every wheel I've owned was from Logitech.

As for the wheels, it doesn't bother me. I mean, I don't do as well in racing games, because I can't feel anything about the car(even a force feedback wheel isn't a huge amount of help), so the relative size of the wheel seems a minor concern for me. I wouldn't MIND them being bigger, but honestly, it's kinda low down the list of things I wish I had in racing games.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2011
    I've never seen a clearer demonstartion of the fact of the lack of aiming skill required in TF2.
    Scott, you realize that the Heavy is a class that was specifically designed to not require a lot of aiming skill?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Scott, you realize that the Heavy is a class that was specifically designed to not require a lot of aiming skill?
    I don't honestly think he cares.
  • The only company I've seen do it right has been Logitech.
    I was about to say that I'd not had this problem with the wheels I've owned, but every wheel I've owned was from Logitech.

As for the wheels, it doesn't bother me. I mean, I don't do as well in racing games, because I can't feel anything about the car(even a force feedback wheel isn't a huge amount of help), so the relative size of the wheel seems a minor concern for me. I wouldn't MIND them being bigger, but honestly, it's kinda low down the list of things I wish I had in racing games.
    This is true on so many levels. Let me use an anecdote from PAX Prime 2010 as an example:

So right neat the convention center where PAX is held there is an arcade called Game Works. It's owned and operated by Sega and is one of the better arcades I've been to in recent memory. Anyway, one of the games there is a special Initial D 3rd stage machine where you take a seat inside this pod that's on an arm. As you drive, it moves you, tilts you, and shakes you as you drive to simulate the feelings you'd get if you were really driving. I usually play initial D in third person view so I can see if the car is getting close to the walls, but I ended up playing first person view in this game and was apprehensive about it.

I was, and have never been since, as good at Initial D as I was in that pod. And I thought, "Well, maybe I've just gotten better-"
    NO. Because as soon as we got back, I went to play at my usual arcade. I was just as bad as I was before. The visceral feedback provided by the motion of that pod gave me such an edge it was unbelievable.
  • Scott, you realize that the Heavy is a class that was specifically designed to not require a lot of aiming skill?
    Why does such a class even exist? Regardless of your job on the battlefield, every class has a gun and should be required to aim. I don't even like how the medic's healing gun sort of sticks to your teammate. I would much prefer if the medic had to aim the healing gun precisely, and had a greater risk of healing opponents if they had poor aim.
  • Scott, repeat after me until you understand:

"Team Fortress 2 is not a game of aiming your gun accurately at enemies. Team Fortress 2 is not a game of aiming your gun accurately at enemies. Team Fortress 2 is not a game of aiming your gun accurately at enemies. Team Fortress 2 is not a game of aiming your gun accurately at enemies. Team Fortress 2 is not a game of aiming your gun accurately at enemies. Team Fortress 2 is not a game of aiming your gun accurately at enemies. Team Fortress 2 is not a game of aiming your gun accurately at enemies. Team Fortress 2 is not a game of aiming your gun accurately at enemies. Team Fortress 2 is not a game of aiming your gun accurately at enemies. Team Fortress 2 is not a game of aiming your gun accurately at enemies. Team Fortress 2 is not a game of aiming your gun accurately at enemies. Team Fortress 2 is not a game of aiming your gun accurately at enemies."

Which is why I'm not very interested in playing the game, personally. And you too, it seems. But seriously, shut the fuck up about it.
  • So you admit it, and you still like it and want to play it? I love how when I point out that board games like Candy Land or Monopoly are stupid baby games and that people should play serious board games like Puerto Rico there is much agreement. Yet, when I point out TF2 is a baby game you get mad!

You're playing Candy Land so seriously and often. I figured you must not realize you are playing a baby game, so I point out to you that you are playing a baby game. You deny it, so I try to convince you, which has been very difficult. If you realize and agree it's a baby game, that's a zillion times worse! Imagine if there were a serious competitive Candy Land league. There would be no option but to laugh at all the people who took it seriously. Now I have nothing else to convince you of, I can only laugh at you.
  • So you admit it, and you still like it and want to play it?
    Nope. I admit it, and after the FRCF Scrim game I uninstalled it from my computer. It holds no interest for me except when playing with fellow forumites. Team Fortress 2 doesn't test any skills I'm interested in learning, and I'm far more comfortable shooting tiny Skulks with an underpowered yet deadly accurate LMG in NS. I like earning new levels in NS Combat by being a good player, or proving my worth to the team and commander so they give me heavy armor or a jet pack, or just a welder so I can help out. I don't like stuff popping up in the game just because I've been playing many hours.

I'm on your side in most of this argument! But if people DO like to play TF2, as they have fun with the things it does test, and the skills they can improve on, that's fine by me. It's okay not to like something, as the song goes.
  • I'm on your side in most of this argument! But if people DO like to play TF2, as they have fun with the things it does test, and the skills they can improve on, that's fine by me. It's okay not to like something, as the song goes.
    You know, I'm not too happy about this little song people have now. They think that now anytime someone criticizes something they like, no matter how accurate the criticism, that they can play this little song and win any argument. Here's how the real song should go.

If someone makes fun of something, and their critique is true.
    Don't worry your head, they're not making fun of you.
    Everybody likes some things that just happen to suck.
    Don't try to argue that it's good, or you'll look like a shmuck.
  • edited August 2011
    Why does such a class even exist? Regardless of your job on the battlefield, every class has a gun and should be required to aim. I don't even like how the medic's healing gun sort of sticks to your teammate. I would much prefer if the medic had to aim the healing gun precisely, and had a greater risk of healing opponents if they had poor aim.
    The Heavy is a class made for noobs and people who simply don't have good aim and are either unwilling or incapable of learning good aim. The heavy does require other skills though, such as anticipating enemy encounters or positioning. The Medic is also not a class that requires aiming skills with the medigun, and that is also intentionally, because the medic also has the purpose of observing the battlefield in other directions than the heal-target is looking, e.g. warning from flanking attacks or approaching spies from behind. And that requires the medic the freedom of not having to constantly have the heal-target in the cross-hair.

Finally, your complaints about Team Fortress 2 are again not based on actual problems of the game, but based on TF2 not being the game you want it to be. The game works in and of itself and each class has a role and an associated playing style that emphasize different skills. No, it is not as skill-testing as other FPSes, but it is also not intended to be. It is simply a different game. Get the fuck over it already!
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited August 2011
    I wrote another song, since apparently songs win everything.

There are things that suck and things that are high quality.
    But if someone asks what you like, that's different entirely.
    You like some things that suck, and I hate some stuff that's great.
    Don't get them confused, or there'll be an Internets debate.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I didn't feel like reading the last few posts, but did someone point out that in real life there are people who give cover fire and the point of their existence is to provide cover not to actually necessarily aim and hit anything in particular...right?
  • edited August 2011
    I didn't feel like reading the last few posts, but did someone point out that in real life there are people who give cover fire and the point of their existence is to provide cover not to actually necessarily aim and hit anything in particular...right?
    Correct. In fact, in real life, in the middle east in particular, when averaged out it's something in the ballpark of 250,000 rounds expended in combat per single insurgent killed. Even with individual soldiers, the majority of rounds they fire don't hit or kill anyone.

Also, I find a useful tactic in these threads is to see the point where Scott posts, skip down two, and see if that post is Scott, or mentions Scott. If it does, skip another two, until you get to something that isn't Scott Being Scott, or someone else replying to Scott being Scott.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I didn't feel like reading the last few posts, but did someone point out that in real life there are people who give cover fire and the point of their existence is to provide cover not to actually necessarily aim and hit anything in particular...right?
    Suppression or cover fire is pointless/ineffectual in TF2. People either don't care, or just try anyways and just respawn.
  • I'm on your side in most of this argument! But if people DO like to play TF2, as they have fun with the things it does test, and the skills they can improve on, that's fine by me. It's okay not to like something, as the song goes.
    You know, I'm not too happy about this little song people have now. They think that now anytime someone criticizes something they like, no matter how accurate the criticism, that they can play this little song and win any argument. Here's how the real song should go.

If someone makes fun of something, and their critique is true.
    Don't worry your head, they're not making fun of you.
    Everybody likes some things that just happen to suck.
    Don't try to argue that it's good, or you'll look like a shmuck.
    You've argued your point well, and you've made all the points you can make. Now every time you bring up the same arguments over and over, it's just tired and boring. People like the style of teamwork in TF2, and enjoy the skill sets it tests. You don't. I don't.

But between you and me, who comes off as the dick by constantly attacking a game that so many people enjoy playing? And you obviously don't understand the game fully, or else you'll KNOW why a medic doesn't have to aim. Get over it already. And come play NS2 some time. I just played again for the first time in months, and I sucked so hard at skulking, you could probably kick my ass even with a level one LMG.
  • Suppression or cover fire is pointless/ineffectual in TF2. People either don't care, or just try anyways and just respawn.
    I kinda disagree, but not strongly - It provides a distraction, and the more people are focusing on the big guy with the minigun in the chaos, that's less attention they can devote to your engineers setting up turrets, or your scout zipping past, or your sniper picking off dudes, or the spy slipping in to flank, as well as thinning them out a bit - ten seconds without some of their players is still ten seconds where you can gain a little extra ground. It's not the world's most effective tactic, that's true, but I wouldn't call it pointless or ineffectual.