This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Mouse/Keyboard vs. Gamepad Debate

124»

Comments

• edited August 2011
    These are the recorded mouse movements of someone playing TF2. I'm curious to see what other games would look like under similar conditions.
    How about some CS:S, TF2 (And it's actually TF2 this time, not L4D2, But the bonus is that there are some real nice wallpapers in that thread made from these which is why I'm not editing the link out), More TF2, And Hammerfight.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • What were the mouse sensitivities set at for all of these? That makes a big difference.
    For the Quake one, he said it was "Five in game, default everything, 800 DPI mouse"
  • edited August 2011
    EDIT: Here is some TF2
    Also worth noting, there is an explanation attached for that picture -
    "It may seem like I played Pyro because in lots of video games, including TF2, I believe, the mouse automatically refocuses on the center in some way. Someone explained it to me a while ago, I can't really remember how it worked. But that's why it looks like there's no distinct path and why there are tons of lines reaching out from the center."
    And the Explanation he spoke of -
    "The reason the mouse refocuses on the center of the screen is to make sure you never hit the edge of the screen. Every time it refocuses (MANY times every second), it calculates the distance from the center and uses that to decide where to move, if it didn't then if you scrolled your mouse over the width or height of your resolution, you would hit the edge of the screen and could turn no more (since it would be the minimum or maximum (X, Y) of the mouse and there would be no way of knowing how much you are moving your mouse."

Some games do this, some do not - For example, HL Episode 2 compared to Stalker.

Also, For figuring out these images, it helps to know that a solid circle is a click, and an empty circle is an idling mouse. Bigger the circle, longer the idle.

More-
    Call of Duty, Torchlight, 3d Modeling, Battlefield 2142 playing sniper, The Witcher, More Quakelive.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2011
    Stalker.
    Lmao. Stalker is the best SPFPS ever, the evidence mounts daily, will anything ever come close? Not likely, says this poster.
    Post edited by Special A on
  • >mouse movements for FPS's
    >mouse movements for top-down RTS games like DOTA and Starcraft
    Shows the difference in perspective greatly.