This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• It elaborated on one particularly troubling omission from the film: Elena's disappearance (depending on whether you cared or not). From what I hear, the third act is extended quite a bit for giving closure to just that aspect. Toto and his mother even have a conversation in the cut version about how he never had a true love and how he always seemed to be alone and with a different woman; I felt that there was more to that that could have been more fleshed out. If that is true, then I think the ending montage has a lot more meaning than before because of how much more is revealed about Toto's lost love.

Yeah, so, thanks for introducing me to one of my favorite movies of all time now :)
    I liked how there was nothing revealed about what happened to her. That was the point of the whole story of waiting outside the window and then giving up at the last second.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was the off-hand suggestion at the end of the movie that Alfredo could be his biological father. It just wasn't necessary. He was still his father, even if not biologically. Thankfully that only took up only a few seconds of the film and that was it.

• Pete shut up about Thor and go watch Troll Hunter
    It was good, though a bit slow to start. It's a lot like the Blair Witch Project.
    It was good, though a bit slow to start. It's a lot like the Blair Witch Project.
    Except it's good
    It's waaaaaay better than the Blair Witch Project. The only thing in common is the "found footage" conceit, and while that is a big part of both movies, I find it hard to say they are alike. One is a horror movie with no special effects, and the other is a very clever comedy with some really fun set pieces.
  • edited February 2012
    It's waaaaaay better than the Blair Witch Project. The only thing in common is the "found footage" conceit, and while that is a big part of both movies, I find it hard to say they are alike. One is a horror movie with no special effects, and the other is a very clever comedy with some really fun set pieces.
    Wait, it was supposed to be a comedy? The only reason I draw parallels is because I saw Blair Witch when I was young, so I don't remember all the things. I do remember a bunch of kids running in the woods, investigating a paranormal phenomena, being extremely scared and totally surviving like people do in horror movies. That's what both movies boil down to in the end. I didn't mean to compare how good they were, just the themes in both movies.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • Shhh don't discuss the end and details and stuff, it's a movie you really gotta watch unfold imo.
  • Shhh don't discuss the end and details and stuff, it's a movie you really gotta watch unfold imo.
    There, I fixed it for less spoilers.
  • They kill all the trolls and get to level 9, but let's not mention how much they make from selling allt he loot.
  • They kill all the trolls and get to level 9, but let's not mention how much they make from selling allt he loot.
    I was reading wikipedia. The movie cost ~3.5 million dollars to make. The box office made 4 million.
  • I liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes more than its goodness merited. The CG apes got more and more convincing and impressive as the movie progressed. It also made me hate the villain so bad, and the villains were ALL HUMANS. However, there are two parallel things happening and in the end one totally undermines the other, like as in makes everything you just saw matter for NOTHING since if the Apes had waited a couple of weeks they wouldn't have had to Braveheart the Golden Gate Bridge at all (and that's in the trailer so no complaining about spoilers). It's so strange. Still worth seeing just for the CG apes.

Also Malfoy saying "Take your filthy paws off me you DAMN DIRTY APE!!" was so terribad that it was Terrigood.
  • Andy Serkis was phenomenal as Caesar. If you watch the extras you can see how he performed without the CG.
  • Watched Mystery Team again. Still awesome.
  • That movie should have been called Rise of the Apes. I refuse to see it solely on the grounds that title enrages me to an irrational degree.
  • It was titled that way because of history... All of the movies had Planet of the Apes in the title.
  • Don't be like that, Pete. The movie is definitely worth watching. I promise. If not, I will treat you to a beer.
  • It was titled that way because of history... All of the movies had Planet of the Apes in the title.
    I know. I know why they did it. It still offends all of my sensibilities. In fact, I grew brand new sensibilities expressly so that they could be offended.
    Don't be like that, Pete. The movie is definitely worth watching. I promise. If not, I will treat you to a beer.
    And those cookies from Trader Joe's?

• It's a deal.
  • Beneath The Planet of The Apes and Conquest of the Planet of the Apes are two of the best in the series.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2012
    Beneath The Planet of The Apes and Conquest of the Planet of the Apes are two of the best in the series.
    I wholeheartedly disagree about both of those. Beneath had some interesting things going for it, but was complete weak-sauce otherwise. Conquest was okay, but definitely nowhere near best. The two best ones are Planet of the Apes (not the one made by that Burt guy) and Escape From the Planet of the Apes.

Post edited by Geo on
  • Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was good, but I'll definitely have to watch it again to be sure I know what happened.
  • So Disney has been making Tinker Bell movies for the past few years set before Peter Pan and I watched the first one today and it's surprisingly not terrible. It's remarkably average, but entertaining to watch.
  • So Disney has been making Tinker Bell movies for the past few years set before Peter Pan and I watched the first one today and it's surprisingly not terrible. It's remarkably average, but entertaining to watch.
    Is that the one where Tinker Bell first fucks up the spring and then fixes it. If so we watched that in the military service. (Wasn't part of the service, but something we did in our free time.) I also agree with your judgment of it, don't remember it being awful or bad and at least when watched with bunch of guys it was entertaining enough to keep us watching 'till the end.

Is that the one where Tinker Bell first fucks up the spring and then fixes it. If so we watched that in the military service. (Wasn't part of the service, but something we did in our free time.) I also agree with your judgment of it, don't remember it being awful or bad and at least when watched with bunch of guys it was entertaining enough to keep us watching 'till the end.
    Eeyup, that's the one! I liked the first one enough to make me want to watch the other ones in the near future.

• The Grey was an amazing movie. Not the movie one should expect, it's still filled with action, but more like a powerful, scary thriller. The movie is a philosophical essay on Death, and Liam Neeson fits as the subject on thinking or dealing with death to such a profound level. I think the ending is very sudden, but I think the scene post-credits adds a very good addendum. For a story like this, it's way too polarizing to end it on one side or the other. I really, really dig the camera work in the film too.

It feels like for this year, a lot of the hyped movies are going to be really good, while most of the unknown sneakers are going be kind of crap.
  • Recently watched The Three Musketeers. It was on the bad side of generic. The main character is a huge fucking douche, killing forty innocent guards is considered 'rapscallion behavior' and the plot makes no sense. The fight choreography is decent, but there aren't a lot of fights, and the film looks decent but not great. The humor fell flat most of the time. The total count of times the movie made me smile was, I believe, four in total.

Would not recommend.
  • Everyone needs to see Chronicle. It's Akira meets Cloverfield, and already Top 10 Best Movie Worthy. Wonderfully inventive and real as well.
  • Chronicle > The Grey on Rotten Tomatoes? I was a little surprised by that. I just assumed from the commercial that it would be crap.
  • Keep in mind, The Grey had wrong advertising too, suggesting it was Taken with Wolves.

I think the advertising for Chronicle was badass, but being the way it is, it could go either way being really shitty or awesome. And this falls into pure greatness because of not just the found-footage aspect, but the fleshed out characters, script, and realism to it all.
  • Keep in mind, The Grey had wrong advertising too, suggesting it was Taken with Wolves.
    Immediately thought of this.
  • Holy shit, this film is going to be amazing