This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• edited February 2012
    My favorite part was "He's the best there is, but he's a loose canon..."

HELLOOO 90's!
    It's the American trailer, what do you expect. Things happening without dialog while the same voiceover guy from every other trailer lays out the basic story and a rough sketch description of the protagonist(s), hero(s) has a one-liners so you can repeat those jokes at the watercooler, fin.

Because figuring out if you want to see the movie without a soothing voiceover telling you what happens before you see the film, that's just unamerican.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Just did a group watch of Enemy Mine. Man I love that movie, but it is sooo much fun to make fun of.
  • My favorite part was "He's the best there is, but he's a loose canon..."

HELLOOO 90's!
    My favorite part is "My daughter is on a goodwill mission on that station."

HELLOOO 90's!
    My favorite part was Escape From New York.

HELLOOO 90's!
    My favorite part was Escape From New York.
    Yup! Or was it Escape from LA that had the president's daughter? Or was it both? I think it was the president in the first one, and his daughter in the second.

Guess what I hate? Cheap sound effects! The iPhone alarm sound is the best you can do in a big budget special effects movie? Really? It's not, you know, one of the most recognizable sounds in the world to the millions of iPhone users who set it to wake them up every morning?
  • Guess what I hate? Cheap sound effects! The iPhone alarm sound is the best you can do in a big budget special effects movie? Really? It's not, you know, one of the most recognizable sounds in the world to the millions of iPhone users who set it to wake them up every morning?
    To be fair, I'm almost 100% sure I heard that in other movies before the iPhone was around, and I know I've heard it elsewhere, from actual alarms. It's probably just one of those generic sounds that you get in big libraries of clips.

• Sure. I heard it in an episode of Dexter, and when it went off, I reached for my phone to cancel the alarm, BOTH times I watched that episode.

But this is exactly my point. This trailer is selling the movie, and on of the first things that says "Here's the plot" is a cheap sound effect. I can't see a studio like Pixar taking such a shortcut. I guess most people just don't care enough.

As for the movie, I don't remember seeing Guy Pierce as an action hero before, so this intrigues me on a casting level. Maybe he's a good kick-ass lead!
  • Last movie I've seen was the release of Beauty and the Beast in theaters (and now in 3D!!!!!!). Believe it or not, I've never seen it in theaters before, despite being probably my favorite Disney movie. The 3D really didn't do anything for it, however, but that's not really a surprise.

I'm also oddly looking forward to Battleship, but only because WW2-era battleships are possibly my favorite pieces of military hardware ever (with the possible exception of fighter planes) and this movie looks like it's got a can of Iowa-class whup-ass being opened up in it. Given how bad the rest of it looks, I may only go for a discount matinee or if I have a free pass to burn.

• Yup! Or was it Escape from LA that had the president's daughter? Or was it both? I think it was the president in the first one, and his daughter in the second.
    The daughter is in the second, but Snake's trying to retrieve the weapon system, not her. I went with Escape from New York because he's actually trying to save a person.

I'll probably go see Lockdown because it looks like decently-made good fun, but I'm not going to pretend that it's not entirely derivative of John Carpenter IN SPACE.
  • Lockout is going to be the best movie of 2012 and I believe that 100%.
  • Guess what I hate? Cheap sound effects! The iPhone alarm sound is the best you can do in a big budget special effects movie? Really? It's not, you know, one of the most recognizable sounds in the world to the millions of iPhone users who set it to wake them up every morning?
    There are still movies and TV shows that unironically (as far as I can tell) use the Wilhelm scream. Bugs the hell out of me.

My roommate's biggest TV/film pet peeve is when they cut to the back of someone's head while they're talking and you can see by the movement of their chin that the audio is from a completely different take and it doesn't even match up. Once you start watching for it, you see it everywhere.
    Not if Hobo With A Shotgun 2: Hobo Shootaloo comes out first.
    Touche.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2012
    Lockout is going to be the best movie of 2012 and I believe that 100%.
    Touche.
    The Dark Knight Rises might beat them to the punch, but Lockout does look like it has potential.

Post edited by Geo on
  • Batman's played out. We need a Flash movie.
  • I'm psyched for The Amazing Spider-Man, myself.
    Let's hope Andrew Garfield will be better than milquetoast Tobey Maguire (soon to be in The Great Gatsby as Nick Carraway).

• edited February 2012
    Wait, a Spider-man film with the Lizard as the villain and Gwen Stacy (and Mary-Jane Watson not even in sight) as the heroine? That actually sounds interesting. It actually is kinda what I thought Spider-man 3 should have been rather than the garbage that it was.

The big question is: Does it have J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
    Let's hope Andrew Garfield will be better than milquetoast Tobey Maguire (soon to be in The Great Gatsby as Nick Carraway).

Not enough mirrors edge in this trailer
  • The big question is: Does it have J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson?
    J. Jonah Jameson isn't in the movie at all, his character is being replaced by Captain Stacy (played by Dennis Leary). I'm curious to see if they just bring J.K. Simmons back as JJ just because of his perfect casting.
    Lockout is going to be the best movie of 2012 and I believe that 100%.
    In a world where Brave exists, you are all wrong.

• In a world where Brave exists, you are all wrong.
    That thing with the horse still bothers me. The way she's riding in the trailers, it's a wonder she's able to walk afterward.

• In a world where Brave exists, you are all wrong.
    That thing with the horse still bothers me. The way she's riding in the trailers, it's a wonder she's able to walk afterward.

Considering the fact that it's a world where will-o-wisps and demon bears exist, I really don't think that her being able to ride a giant horse is that much of a problem.

• The big question is: Does it have J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson?
    I'm not sure if this film will even have JJJ.

Also, Chronicle was really really good, wow.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2012
    The big question is: Does it have J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson?
    J. Jonah Jameson isn't in the movie at all, his character is being replaced by Captain Stacy (played by Dennis Leary). I'm curious to see if they just bring J.K. Simmons back as JJ just because of his perfect casting
    I highly highly doubt it. I'm willing to bet that he wouldn't want to do the same character for a reboot series after doing it for 3 movies...

Post edited by Geo on
  • Fuck, Dennis Leary instead of JK Simmons and no J. Jonah?

This movie is looking worse all the time. We need a Beyonder movie.
  • I will accept no JK JJJ since we're getting Captain Leary.
  • I think Leary as Cpt. Stacy is great casting. If anyone's going to play a bitter old man of authority, it's him.

But if we are going to bring in J. Jonah Jameson again in this new film, just get JK Simmons again. Everyone loved him.
  • Fuck, Dennis Leary instead of JK Simmons and no J. Jonah?

This movie is looking worse all the time. We need a Beyonder movie.
    Understand that they are going for a much younger Peter Parker than the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films did. In those he started out as a senior, so him actually going out into the world looking for a job was a much more pressing idea. If the Amazing Spider-Man spawns sequels, that's when we'll see J. Jonah come in along with Mary Jane and possibly the death of Gwen Stacy at the hands of the Green Goblin.

Also, Dennis Leary is awesome and I really feel like he can do a great job as the lawful foil to Spider-Man.

• edited February 2012
    Also, Denis Leary only has one n.

TRIVIA-ED.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Also, Denis Leary only has one n.

TRIVIA-ED.
    Your mom has zero ns?