This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I watched both Crank and Crank: High Voltage back to back today. It was a very good day.
  • I'm stunned that a person could make it this long without having seen it.
    I have not.
    :)
  • wat.
    Say "wat" again! I dare you! I double-dare you, motha-fucka!
  • @Li Akahi -- heh heh.

I guess it's a generational thing. Pulp Fiction was certainly the biggest movie of my high-school years, and I'd be stunned if someone anywhere near my age hadn't seen it.
  • @Li Akahi -- heh heh.

I guess it's a generational thing. Pulp Fiction was certainly the biggest movie of my high-school years, and I'd be stunned if someone anywhere near my age hadn't seen it.

Bonus - And in Germany - or, at least frankfurt, a big mac is called a Hamburger Royal Mit Tomate und salat.
  • Pulp Fiction was certainly the biggest movie of my high-school years, and I'd be stunned if someone anywhere near my age hadn't seen it.
    Is it a good movie, or is it just like Star Wars in that even though not all of them (the episodes) were great, many people watched it anyway?
  • edited February 2010
    Is it a good movie
    It is a fantastic movie. To imply otherwise is to invoke the wrath of Samuel L. Jackson and necessitate a call to Mr. Wolf. To even consider the notion that Pulp Fiction isn't as good as everyone says it is is to commit high film blasphemy.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited February 2010
    Is it a good movie, or is it just like Star Wars
    It's really, really good. I didn't get to see it right when it came out (due to being too broke to go to the theater), so I had to listen to my friends raving about it and quoting every line for months. So when I finally saw it on video, I thought "That was pretty good." Then, years later, when I'd had time to forget about all of that, I watched it again, and though "holy shit, that's an amazing movie!".
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • "holy shit, that's an amazing movie!".
    It has been decided then, I shall die if I do not watch this movie soon!
    And it should be fun quoting it at friends of mine who have not had the sense to see it yet.
  • I wonder if it's the sort of thing that's going to have a reduced impact because of the way it's influenced film since it came out. Structurally, it was pretty revolutionary at the time.
  • I wonder if it's the sort of thing that's going to have a reduced impact because of the way it's influenced film since it came out. Structurally, it was pretty revolutionary at the time.
    It might have lost steam, but eventually more generations could have the chance to enjoy it.
    Also, this picture is pretty much all I think of whenever I hear "Pulp Fiction."
    And then I chuckle a bit inside...
  • edited February 2010
    I wonder if it's the sort of thing that's going to have a reduced impact because of the way it's influenced film since it came out. Structurally, it was pretty revolutionary at the time.
    Except no one can Tarantino quite like Tarantino. He's the undisputed king of the obsessively demanding directors in terms of both editing and non-linear structures.
    Also, this picture is pretty much all I think of whenever I hear "Pulp Fiction."
    And then I chuckle a bit inside...
    I always wanted that shirt, but they never reprinted it. T_T
  • I watched it for the first time a year or so ago, and I highly enjoyed it. It was my first Tarantino film, in fact.
    Perhaps it didn't have the impact it would have had if everyone had been talking about it, but it's still a brilliant movie.
  • I always wanted that shirt, but they never reprinted it.
    OH MY GOD IT WAS A SHIRT?
    Hot damn.
  • OH MY GOD IT WAS A SHIRT?
    Hot damn.
    Threadless is your friend.
  • I always wanted that shirt, but they never reprinted it. T_T
    That shirt has been reprinted a bunch of times, it's in stock right now up to XL
  • I think I just might have to... well...
    I will buy it, and I will not allow myself to wear it until I see the movie.
    Motivation!
  • That shirt has been reprinted a bunch of times,it's in stock right now up to XL
    Gads! Must have missed the reprints!

I will buy it when I get some more cash.
  • I saw Alice in Wonderland last night and I greatly enjoyed it. The performances were mostly good, the world was visually stunning, and the story (albeit a bit rushed) and new take on the characters were interesting. The 3D was nice, as there were a lot of shots that allowed for you to look into the scenery, but it's not needed. It was better than some of Disney's previous efforts with the technology, but still not as good as the Nightmare Before Christmas' 3D.

That being said, the 3D Tron Legacy trailer looked AMAZING.
  • The wife wants to see Alice in Wonderland, so chances are high it will happen. Local cheap-o college town theater is showing it in 3D for $8.
  • I saw The Wolfman last night, and it was about as silly and predicable as I had hoped it would be. You should give it a watch if you enjoy B-grade monster movies, but don't go in expecting anything remotely frightening.
  • I flew back from down under, and had loads of time to watch movies. There were 71 movies to choose from. I watched:

In The Loop - hilarious swearing.
    Sherlock Holmes - highly enjoyable popcorn flick.
    Where the Wild Things Are - alright.
    Up In The Air - as someone who travels a lot with my job, this movie hit home with me. I really liked it, and I cried.
    Jungle Book - I'd not seen it for years, and it's still really good fun.

And there was The Invention of Lying. I tried to watch it, but after 15 minutes quit and watched something else. If I get 15 minutes into any movie that is trying so desperately hard to be funny, and still haven't even smiled, it just isn't worth my time.
  • edited March 2010
    Spun is a waste of your time, and the choppy cinematography will give you a headache and make you nauseous. Also, all of the characters are 100% unlikeable, and, in the case of the main character (Jason Schwartzman), fucking transcendentally unlikeable--some of his actions made me feel physically ill.
  • Where the Wild Things Are - alright.
    I was really disappointed after seeing this film. I was actually bored most of the movie and stayed only to see where this was going. It wasn't a great place.
  • We saw The Crazies last night with a couple of friends. It was okay.
  • Just saw Alice in Wonderland, in IMAX 3D. It was a solid good movie I think. IMAX 3D was not necessary, but it added some here and there.
  • Yep, that certainly was a Tim Burton film.

I didn't really care about it one way or the other. Everything cool that Johnny Depp did as the Mad Hatter (like holding a claymore and speaking with a Scottish brogue) was offset by the horrible dance he did at the end. Furthermore, I hate Crispin Glover. I mean, with the exception of Back to the Future, I hate Crispin Glover. And am I the only one that wants to see Helena Bonham Carter break up with Tim Burton? I am sick of her, and did not enjoy the whole big-head thing.

I did appreciate that this film stuck more to Through the Looking Glass instead of simply relighting the Disney cartoon in Burtonvision. Some of the visuals were highly engaging. I'm glad, however, that I saw it in 2D, because I could see the obvious bits of "here's where stuff would fly off the screen at you if you were watching in 3D."

Also, simply for the record, Anne Hathaway is not good looking.

P.S. My wife liked the movie. She also likes J-Lo, Willy Wonka, and fart jokes, so make of that what you will.

That is all.
  • I like Willy Wonka. What are you trying to say.
  • No, that is not all. Upon thinking more, you could barely tell that was Alan Rickman, the most wasted character in the whole affair. In addition, they did not show the Tron Legacy trailer at my viewing. Observation: Mia Wasikowska looked a little to me like an immature but not-so-cute Katie Sackhoff. The sexual tension between Alice and the Mad Hatter made me uncomfortable. My popcorn cost too much. Danny DeVito paid a large amount to renovate the theater I was in. Those kids are on my lawn again.
  • I knew right away that was Alan Rickman (and Christopher Lee for that matter). The visuals were good from what I could see (stuck in the second row, my neck hurts).

Yes Jason, the sexual tension between Alice and The Mad Hatter was weird. Kind of reminded me how Depp's portrayal of Wonka made me think of Michael Jackson.