This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I recently saw "When Harry Met Sally" for the first time and thought it was great. It's one of the few romantic movies that I actually liked (one of the others being Love Actually).
  • Love Actually
    That movie is only watchable around the holidays, and even then it's a long shot.
  • Last night I watched The Hurt Locker. It was one of the most stressful films I've seen in a long time. I really enjoyed it though, and would recommend it to anyone.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    I have to say something about The Hurt Locker. When I was constantly posting about the Astro Boy movie (I have yet to see it ironically) and I saw the concept sketches and footage preview at NYC Comicon 2 years ago. I attended an event just before that where they previewed two movies. They were (in order) The Hurt Locker and Knowing (the latter of which I saw and was extremely impressed by) and the lead actor of the former was there at the panel. When I saw The Hurt Locker, I was really disturbed and distressed by it. The guy shared similar feelings that Luke said he had during the shoot, but was very glad he did it in the end. I really need to see this right now.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Last night I watched The Hurt Locker. It was one of the most stressful films I've seen in a long time. I really enjoyed it though, and would recommend it to anyone.
    Awesome, I was kind of thinking of whether or not I should watch it, but I'll definitely check it out now.
  • I was really disturbed and distressed by it.
    Why, just out of interest?
  • I was really disturbed and distressed by it.
    Why, just out of interest?
    To be clear, I was disturbed or distressed. I just found it stressful. The whole premise of the film is "Get the main characters into many, many, many life threatening situations and see if they survive." And it works. Really well. Just as I was thinking "Okay, we've seen them sort out unexploded bombs, I'm not sure I can watch that again" the main characters find themselves in an even MORE stressful situation. It was awesome.
  • The Hurt Locker 2: Fuck it, send in the robut.
  • edited February 2010
    Watched Akira Kurosawa's Dreams last night. I really liked some of the segments, it had some great visuals and a few good acting pieces, but overall the movie was incredibly boring. I don't know why I should be surprised by that, since all of Kurosawa's films I've seen have done the same to me.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Friday I saw Inglorious Basterds with friends. It led to much hilarity as we discovered that I was an orphan. Saturday I saw The Mummy, which was much better than I remembered.
  • This pretty much sums up Avatar for me.

• Watched Zombieland and Babel over the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised by Zombieland. Everyone I knew said it was good, but I just couldn't help but feel that it was going to be cheesy as hell from the trailers. Not to mention I am so over zombies these days. But it ended up being pretty entertaining, though I didn't really laugh at anything, so I wouldn't classify it as funny in my book. What really surprised me was actually the characters and how non-shallow they were. I wouldn't say deep, but not typical for this kind of film. The main guy is a sad reflection on my own life...

Babel fits in nicely with a bunch of other great movies I've seen in the last year, things like Blood Diamond, Crash, Traffic, and City of God. I'm just a big fan of gritty, not-so-happy-ending films. And Babel hits that spot for me. The story revolving around the deaf girl and her friends was particularly fascinating since I don't really get much exposure to that kind of life and how hard it is.
  • I just saw the Thing. All I really have to say besides that I loved it is "sorry Doctor, that was fucked up."
  • I watched Gamer recently...
    Warning: No character development whatsoever. It's horrible.
    Also: female anatomy.
    Don't watch it because it's a good movie (which it isn't...) watch it because of the mindless violence and nudity.
  • edited February 2010
    I watchedGamerrecently...
    Warning: No character developmentwhatsoever. It's horrible.
    Don't watch it because it's a good movie (which it isn't...) watch it because of the mindless violence and nudity.
    I don't think anyone should expect character development from movies like these. It's from the makers of Crank & Crank: High Voltage.

The only thing you should expect from these movies is violence and nudity, which is what makes it awesome. I plan on watching this later this week because I highly enjoyed the Crank series, and plus Michael C. Hall is in it. ^_^

On a related note, check out The Greatest Movie EVER! podcast on Crank 1, Crank 2, and Gamer. I think you will enjoy it.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I watchedGamerrecently...
    Warning: No character developmentwhatsoever. It's horrible.
    Yeah, I don't get the point of movie that's telling us how bad we are involved with explosions and female exploitation when the movie is ABOUT EXPLOSIONS AND FEMALE EXPLOITATION.

Last movie I saw in the theaters btw was Sherlock Holmes. That was a badass movie. I wonder why some critics hate it so much. It feels nearly perfect to me. I really love Downey Jr. and Jude Law's portrayal of the characters, they really, REALLY work.
  • I would think that giving these kinds of action movies structure would help.
  • I just watched This Is IT, and thankfully it was on a big screen in a theater with lots of other people, not just on a TV. I'd not heard anything negative about it, which is normally a good sign, but it was far better than I ever expected.

Earlier I said "Why are people upset about MJ dying? It wasn't as if he's done anything for the last ten years." But now I see that those London shows would have been epic, probably the most significant events in popular music for a decade or more.
  • I just got back from seeing the Wolfman. It was a very enjoyable (and violent) monster movie, not the greatest thing ever, but fun to watch. Would I suggest that everyone go out and see it in theatres, not really, but maybe when it comes out on DVD would be a better choice.

Also, the make-up and transformations were astoundingly good. They really made the movie for me.
  • Watched The Hurt Locker this weekend. Fantastic film. Of the movies that came out last year, I'd definitely rate it as my third favorite, after District 9 and Inglorious Basterds. Don't really have anything specific to say about it except that it is a great compliment to all the Modern Warfare 2 I've been playing.
  • I just saw Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai. One word: Badass.
  • I just saw Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai. One word: Badass.
    One of my favorite movies. And the sink thing is one of my favorite movie deaths.
  • I finally saw Pulp Fiction. Aside from the fact that it dragged a tiny bit in a couple places, and the fact that every scene involving Jules and Vincent was friggin' incredible, it really made me want to eat a hamburger. Really, really badly.
  • edited February 2010
    I finally saw Pulp Fiction.
    wat.

I mean, that's fine, but I'm stunned that a person could make it this long without having seen it.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited February 2010
    I finally saw Pulp Fiction.
    wat.

I mean, that's fine, but I'm stunned that a person could make it this long without having seen it.
    "This long"? I was practically born yesterday. :P
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Saw Shutter Island today. Like many people, I was able to guess the ending, but it was still enjoyable.
  • Saw Cop Out yesterday. Tracy Morgan and Bruce Willis work well together.
  • I can't stand Tracy Morgan. At all. I want to destroy him!
  • I can't stand Tracy Morgan. At all. I want to destroy him!
  • Saw Shutter Island today. Like many people, I was able to guess the ending, but it was still enjoyable.
    This. Even though I had the film figured out just from watching the trailer, it was a pretty fun ride. Well, as fun as psychological thrillers can be.