This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I dunno, the super obvious "we put these 3D effects here to remind you this movie is 3D" are fucking obnoxious. There is a sever lack of "LAWWWW" that brought it down a peg. I still enjoy it but as far as modern best worst movies go Drive Angry still is the best.
  • The Master completely baffles me because I don't see what the point of it was. I can't say whether or not I liked it, but I feel like I need to see it another time because I get the feeling I'm missing something. I'll write about it once more in a more complete fashion once that occurs.
  • I thought it was about Scientology.
  • I thought it was about Scientology.
    You'd think that, but really, it is rather toothless in terms of attacking Scientology.

• I watched The Raid last night. After all the hype, I wasn't sure if it was going to live up to expectations. But, holy shit, what a movie! I have so much good stuff to say about it but I'm not going to write it all here. From the second scene to the very last shot, I was leaning forward in my seat, grinning stupidly and wincing every seventeen seconds. Or so it felt like.
  • The Fifth Element is still totally fucking awesome.
  • I watched Lockout last night. It's probably the stupidest movie I've seen in a long time, with the wonkiest special effects of any science fiction movie of recent years, as well as the worst science of any movie ever. It's like they put no thought or effort into either of those.

However, Juliane and I agreed that there was never a single moment in the movie that we weren't thoroughly entertained. Job done.
  • Watched Dog Day Afternoon because it came up in a conversation at work. I liked it mostly because it was so true to life New York City. Watch just the opening minute or two of random NYC shots. Even though it's so old, that is still pretty much the NYC feel.
  • The Fifth Element is still totally fucking awesome.
  • Saw State of Play last night. Good cast and interesting movie about the intersection of politics and newspapers in Washington DC. I heard it's based on a British television series that supposedly excellent. Off to the torrents I go!
  • The Point is, as advertised, the worlds longest most complicated most committed-to-the-bit pun. It also has fantastic music. It's like Alice and Wonderland, but with a better emotional arc and narrated by Ringo. Probably best watched on a double-bill with Yellow Submarine.
  • Oh mans, The Point was my childhood. We had an old taped-off-TV copy of it that I watched over and over and over again as a kid. I love it when people discover it for the first time. image

The quote from Harry Nilsson about the genesis of the original album is the best, too:
    I was on acid and I looked at the trees and I realized that they all came to points, and the little branches came to points, and the houses came to point. I thought, 'Oh! Everything has a point, and if it doesn't, then there's a point to it.'
    You know it was the late 60's/early 70's when
  • Watched The Raid last night. It's just as good as everyone says it is.
  • There's a movie/animation of The Point? I've never known this! I only recall it from listening to the vinyl and following along in the cartooned liner when I was a wee lad. I'll have to go hunting!
  • edited September 2012
    The DVD is either out of stock/print or prohibitively expensive on most sites including Amazon, from the looks of things. Sucky. :( It's all posted to YouTube in parts, though, if you still want to see it. Piracy wins again.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Yay for piracy! ... I mean ... that's so sad that I can't purchase it from anyone. I guess I'll go without. No, really, I mean it!
  • Yeah, I have this tendency to fall in love with things that are fairly difficult to get. All This and WWII is my favorite war movie, never has had a home video release, and almost noone seeds the torrent. Also, my favorite Japanese director is Minoru Kawasaki, who has four films with American releases, and whose region 2-only films I have yet to find at Japanese-language movie stores or the torrent networks.
  • I am re-watching The Avengers. Just saying :P
  • DREDD was an incredibly fun and surprisingly engaging film. I think the director and writer did a really good job in making you fascinated with the world of Mega City 1. Karl Urban was a fantastic judge and Olivia Thriby was a great counter to his character and strong woman. The violence is pretty intense and shocking at points, but it was worth it. I actually felt tense throughout the movie and I enjoy it enough to want to see it again in 3D.
  • Dredd 3D was great.
    Seven Psychopaths was great.
  • I watched The Raid and quite enjoyed it.
  • Robot & Frank was nice.
  • While sick home from school (fuck you flu that my dad had), I watched Richard Linklater's romantic drama, "Before Sunrise". It was fantastic movie that is an equally fantastic example of how minimalistic storytelling in a movie can be so engaging (in this case, a simple story about an American man and a French woman meet aboard a train and spend the rest of the day together in Paris and develop a very deep connection with one another). As soon as I can, I want to get the sequel that takes place nine years after Sunrise called "Before Sunset". If you want to see a romantic movie that treats its characters like real, fully fleshed out people, instead of stereotypes; I cannot recommend this movie enough.
  • So it was good?
  • So it was good?
    Am I gonna have to whip out some stale copy pasta onto your ass? I will do it nigger. Don't you think I won't, your choice man.
  • So it was good?
    Am I gonna have to whip out some stale copy pasta onto your ass? I will do it nigger. Don't you think I won't, your choice man.
    DO IT IMMA CALL U OUT FUCKBOY

• Saw Looper, good movie, decent story, action was fairly cookie cutter. Use of time travel as ok, if simplistic. I didn't care for the casting of the two main characters, especially Bruce Willis.

It has gotten to the point where Bruce just shows up for a movie and doesn't really act. He just does Bruce Willis. I'm hoping that isn't the case for Moonrise Kindom (haven't watched it yet.)
  • Moonrise Kingdom is Bruce Willis at arguably his deepest ever.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2012
    It has gotten to the point where Bruce just shows up for a movie and doesn't really act. He just does Bruce Willis. I'm hoping that isn't the case for Moonrise Kingdom (haven't watched it yet.)
    It isn't the case for Moonrise Kingdom. He plays a totally different character that is not like any Bruce Willis role you've seen before, which is mainly due to Wes Anderson's sublime direction.

EDIT: WUB Ninja'd
    Post edited by Geo on