This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• 16, and based on the political threads, I'm the least serious person on the forum.
    The treatment is taking a puff of life which you need to infect your lungs.
    Am I just stupid/young/naive, or did that make no sense?
  • 16, and based on the political threads, I'm the least serious person on the forum.
    Life is a drug, man.

• Or maybe Geo's on drugs, right now, even I'm confused.
    Life is a drug, man.

I got that part, but traditionally if you're pushing pot you don't sell it on "infecting your lungs"
    Or maybe Geo's on drugs, right now, even I'm confused.
    Seems plausible.

Unless you count my medication, no I'm not. I'm being silly and you are harshing my mellow.

Unless you count my medication, no I'm not. I'm being silly and you are harshing my mellow.

I don't seek to harsh on anyone's mellow.

What does this even mean.
  • Only on the FRC Forums can a conversation go from go from Ferris Bueller to getting laid to accusations of me being on drugs.

One of the many reasons why this forum is so compelling and fun to go on :)
  • Ferris Bueller's Day sucks BTW
    I seriously doubt that, considering that I basically secrete whimsy from every pore.
    It's telling that you're more serious about Ferris Bueller than politics. ;)
  • edited September 2012
    16, and based on the political threads, I'm the least serious person on the forum.
    I seriously doubt that, considering that I basically secrete whimsy from every pore.
    But I at least get 2nd place.

EDIT @Walker, I phrased it strongly because it was fun to write, not because I was being dogmatic.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Arguing over who's more happy and chill disproves the entirety said argument.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2012
    16, and based on the political threads, I'm the least serious person on the forum.
    Can I get that in a box or do you sell it by the gallon?
    Post edited by Geo on

As a scientist, my job consists exclusively of harshing mellows. I'm like the Stay-Puft Harshmellow Man.

As a scientist, my job consists exclusively of harshing mellows. I'm like the Stay-Puft Harshmellow Man.

SHEEEEit.

You can't help it. It just pops in there, doesn't it?

• edited October 2012
    SHEEEEit.
    Watching The Wire.
    Well, except for biochemists. Those dudes just create new and exciting mellows to package in pills and powders, for speedy delivery to your neurons.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited October 2012
    I vote myself in.

Also I was considering seeing Looper but I'm worried that I've already figured out the plot and don't want to pay to see it and then have that moment where I see what's gonna happen like a car crash.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • After so many recommendations, and knowing how loved it was, and with all the quotes and references in popular culture, I watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off with high expectations. Needless to say, it failed to meet them on just about every level. I found it to be a very minor movie, hardly worth the time I spent watching it. There were a few funny lines like "Anyone... anyone... Bueller..." but apart from that it's pretty forgettable.
  • After so many recommendations, and knowing how loved it was, and with all the quotes and references in popular culture, I watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off with high expectations. Needless to say, it failed to meet them on just about every level. I found it to be a very minor movie, hardly worth the time I spent watching it. There were a few funny lines like "Anyone... anyone... Bueller..." but apart from that it's pretty forgettable.
    It's a movie that had to be enjoyed in the time and culture and context of its creation. Isolated, it doesn't hold up.
  • I was putting off watching Metropolis to delay gratification. Ate the marshmallow on Saturday. It was glorious.
  • I was putting off watching Metropolis to delay gratification. Ate the marshmallow on Saturday. It was glorious.
    That metaphor only works if you got second marshmallow for delaying the gratification.

That metaphor only works if you got second marshmallow for delaying the gratification.

I did. I saw the restored version with the found footage since it is on Netflix Instant.

Maybe he just gave himelf a marshmallow.

I'd like to harsh her mellow.
  • edited October 2012

"Todd, that sounds like sexual assault, dude."
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Watched The Elephant Man. Yep. That was a real dude.
  • edited October 2012
    So I watched Sucker Punch tonight to finally see what all the hub-ub was about. I had heard only minimal things of it and only saw a few preview and promotional pictures of it and I knew exactly two things about it before going into it:
    1) That it had a very interesting visual aesthetic.
    2) That it was perceived as severely sexist. (One such opinion can be found here)

One of the reasons I watched it in the first place was because I'm going through The Big Picture archives over at the Escapist, and while I myself can't fully agree with everything MovieBob says in that series, he does put on an interesting show and brings in a viewpoint I'm don't always consider myself. Anyway, he has a couple of episodes called "You are wrong about Sucker Punch" (Part 1 and Part 2) and I wanted to get what was being talked about before watching those episodes.

And so it came that I watched the movie pretty much in two halves. The first half I watched before watching those The Big Picture episodes and came away with a reemphasized perception of the consensus opinion: That this movie is very sexist and a sham production that pretends to empower women, while just following the same formula of using those action sequences just to show off women's bodies and pander to the teenage boy crowd. This to the point where I wanted to stop myself from watching any more of it and simply read the rest of the plot off of Wikipedia, which I did.

However, the angle that MovieBob portrays and I didn't consider beforehand is that this is being done sarcastically, that those action sequences are supposed to be hollow and senseless because they are metaphors for striptease, and that those striptease are being performed for the most vile and disgusting characters in the film who are stand-ins for the audience, showing that the act of enjoying this striptease is what makes these characters, and by extension the audience, vile and disgusting.

On the other hand, I do believe that he overstates his case a bit and the movie itself falls flat in actually executing this genre deconstruction, as it is rather hard to get that this interpretation of the events is even there, and I'm not even sure that it is supposed to be there.

So in some sort, me wanting to no longer watch the movie was actually a "good" reaction I guess, one that members of the audience should have if they don't get this deconstruction subtext (similar to one certain incident during Spec Ops: The Line). Anyway, at the very least MovieBob's review did get me to finish the movie.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on