This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Wreck-It-Ralph was indeed awesome. Loved the characters, the thought and care that went into the jokes and art-design, great movie for all ages. Kind of sags in the middle, but picks back up because the climax and emotional moments are quite good.

And stay through the credits. For they are glorious.
  • Being John Malkovich holds up well. I wasn't sure it would. It's still very clever and funny, and is a pleasure to watch. This is quite an achievement considering the three main characters seem to b specifically designed as unlikeable.
  • Martha Marcy May Marlene is deeply disturbing and though provoking. I loved it.
  • Cloud Atlas was really good!

The Man With The Iron Fists was fun!
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2012
    Martha Marcy May Marlene is deeply disturbing and though provoking. I loved it.
    Now that I know someone here has seen it and liked it, I'm gonna watch it tomorrow. I wasn't sure how well it would play based on the trailer.

Post edited by Geo on
  • Martha Marcy May Marlene is deeply disturbing and though provoking. I loved it.
    Now that I know someone here has seen it and liked it, I'm gonna watch it tomorrow. I wasn't sure how well it would play based on the trailer.

That movie was fantastic, brutha.
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2012
    Martha Marcy May Marlene is deeply disturbing and though provoking. I loved it.

That movie was fantastic, brutha.
    I didn't doubt that it had potential, but I guess the way I put expectation in movies was lowered after The Master ruined me.

Post edited by Geo on
  • Cloud Atlas was really good!
    One of the best I've seen in a long time. I haven't read it, but I feel like this might be one movie that's better than the book. It was really intersting to see the same actors in all those different roles.
  • edited November 2012
    Saw Wreck It Ralph. It's about as good as everyone says it is.

But seriously, how awesome was Paperman, right? That was some seriously fantastic animation.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Paperman's animation blew me away. *wink*
  • Paperman's animation blew me away. *wink*
    You are the worst.
  • edited November 2012
    Yep!
    But seriously, it was just fantastic to look at.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • edited November 2012
    Saw Wreck-It Ralph tonight as well and very much enjoyed it. In my opinion it was Pixar good, and if not Pixar good, then like, 0.05 steps away from that level. It's just so full of fun and joy and good characters and emotion and adventure and nostalgic references and a-million-and-one puns about candy and image The only thing I could really criticize was that it's pretty predictable, but it's just so nicely put together that I very emphatically stopped caring about that aspect about halfway through the movie.

My favourite bit was Vanellope choosing to be President instead of Princess. I love me some Disney Princesses sometimes, but not all major Disney girls have to be them either, so it's great to see one who actively goes "Yeah, that whole princess thing isn't for me. I can be a leader without the floofy dresses, thank you very much. B)"

Also, agreed on Paperman. I want a whole feature done in that animation style.

Lastly: that Sugar Rush song is performed by AKB48! :o It plays in full over the end credits with Japanese lyrics and everything. That made me very happy as a lover of sugary Japanese music and someone who hopes to see more international music showing up in mainstream North American media.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Oh, I love that other credits song they play...

The "Wreck-It Ralph" Theme Song in style of "Pac-Man Fever." RIP Gary Garcia.

• I wanted to catch up on the Star Wars prequels, checking out episodes II and III for the first time since they were initially released on DVD (I didn't bother seeing them at the cinema). It took quite a bit to get through, but I finally made it to the end. What can I say? Episode II is almost entirely crap except for some impressive action sequences. Episode III had more to it, and is only partly crap. The end goes on way too long. Padme dies for no reason. It tries to end hopeful, on Tattoine, but that's tricky when you've just seen most of the characters die or be almost burned to death. I never took Vader as someone who would kill children. He seemed much more like someone who would do anything to get the job done... but at that point, what job needed doing?
  • Saw Wreck It Ralph. It's about as good as everyone says it is.

But seriously, how awesome was Paperman, right? That was some seriously fantastic animation.
    I legitimately want an entire movie in the hand drawn, computer rendered style. It would be so cool if that is what they were doing for Frozen, but I think that one is going to just be CG.

• PAR did a pretty good review on it Wreck-It Ralph.

I want to watch the movie again, but probably will just wait until it is released for sale.
  • Loved Wreck-It Ralph as well, and Paperman was also really, really cool and sweet. It definitely had a very Pixar feel to it, as some of the other folks on here said.
  • Seeing Wreck-it Ralph Wednesday with a giant horde of children. We'll see how that goes.
  • Well John Lasseter did have his finger in both as an executive producer, from what I recall in watching the credits.

I want to talk more about this from all the awesome jokes/references, but I don't know where to start, and I should be working. I felt they were all done well. I don't think it dragged on in the middle like Nukesjr states.

Normally I don't like packed theaters, but it seems 80% of the people watching got most of the references and were more than likely video gamers of the 80's and 90's. I love the name of the cops, it took me a second to get the joke.

Apparently in one of the graffiti writings it says, "Aeris Lives!". I didn't catch it, but my friend mentioned it.

The Calhoun most tragic backstory was great. Along with "You're one dynamite gal."

I love how the characters of Fix-It Felix, Jr. moved in an 8bit fashion even though they were in 3D.

I thought the video game hub/station was pretty clever as well.

Ok, that's enough for now.

• Apparently in one of the graffiti writings it says, "Aeris Lives!". I didn't catch it, but my friend mentioned it.
    I thought it was "Aerith Dies" XD Apparently "All Your Base Are Belong to Us" was one too.

My favorite joke was with the taffy and Felix. I cracked up hard watching that. Very inventive use of Felix's powers too.
  • Yeah, I forget how it's spelled, since I never got into FF7. All I know it's the stupid healer girl that everyone was sad because Sephiroth killed her.

Yes, that part with Felix was great. Also when he tries to break the bars and sobs, "WHY DOES EVERYTHING I TOUCH GET FIXED!?" or something along those lines.
  • My aparment-mate noticed "Aeris Lives."
  • Did anyone else catch the "Are you the guys who bake the doughnuts" joke besides me?
  • Did anyone else catch the "Are you the guys who bake the doughnuts" joke besides me?
    I got it, though I didn't get that from any video games that I know of. Just old Dunkin commercials.
  • The security guard at the candy car factory was pretty awesome too. I won't spoil that one.
  • The Man With The Iron Fists was ridiculous, and RZA is so bad of an actor that he nearly ruined the entire movie...which is an exceedingly cheesy kung-fu movie in the 70s style.
    I got it, though I didn't get that from any video games that I know of. Just old Dunkin commercials.
    That was the joke. I was geeking out because I remember those commercials.
  • The Man With The Iron Fists was ridiculous, and RZA is so bad of an actor that he nearly ruined the entire movie...which is an exceedingly cheesy kung-fu movie in the 70s style.
    He should stick to writing, directing, or producing as long as he's off screen. Maybe a walk on if he takes some classes, but that's it.

Silver Lion should have been played by Prince.
    That was the joke. I was geeking out because I remember those commercials.
    Ah, okay. :) I cracked up myself from remembering those commercials, but I wasn't sure if it cropped up in elsewhere. :)