This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I find it funny that you expect people to know who directed a movie.
    Forgive this moment of pretentiousness, but in this day and age of IMDB and BoxOfficeMojo, there is no reason not to know who has directed a movie.
    Dude, who cares? Only cineastes track directors for anything but Oscarworthy films. I sort my personal film collection by director, but I don't use director sort on my HTPC when I have friends over.
  • I find it funny that you expect people to know who directed a movie.
    Forgive this moment of pretentiousness, but in this day and age of IMDB and BoxOfficeMojo, there is no reason not to know who has directed a movie.

The easy access to that information doesn't promote it's real value, it only reduces the cost. If the value is 0 or very near 0 to a person, having the cost reduced to 0 or very near 0 doesn't make a meaningful difference.
  • Just re-watched "Kolya." That is one of my favorite movies. Like Cinema Paradiso, it is sweet and sentimental without being sappy or melodramatic.
  • edited October 2012
    The Five Year Engagement was funny. It didn't get great reviews, but you really can't go wrong with Jason Segel.

Also, I am fully willing to admit that last night while I was writing, my wife put on the Katy Perry documentary... and it was good. I define "good" for a documentary by whether they can tell a compelling non-fiction story to people who don't give two shits about the subject matter, and that's what happened. It was a really interesting look behind the scenes of a tour, lots of old footage of a person before they were famous, and an angle about super religious parents (they are traveling preachers) and how they handle a daughter who got famous for singing about kissing a member of the same sex.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Katy Perry is awesome. I saw the documentary the other day, too. I ignored her when she was first famous because I pretty much ignore all pop music. But then I saw the Last Friday Night music video and "discovered" her awesomeness. If I had been a pop star, I would've been a lot like her, especially the crazy girly outfits.
  • Is she cooler than Lady Gaga?
  • edited October 2012
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Moonrise Kingdom was definitely interesting.
    Yes, as a human but her music sucks compared to Lady Gaga.
    Yes, as a human but her music sucks compared to Lady Gaga.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I can stand Katy Perry's music. I can't say the same about Lady Gaga.
    Not sure, but she's way hotter.

• I can't remember if I've posted this before but it seems semi-relevant now so here you go.
  • I watched the second half of The Amazing Spider Man. On a flight. With no sound. While very tired. It seemed like the most redundant movie ever.
  • I watched the second half of The Amazing Spider Man. On a flight. With no sound. While very tired. It seemed like the most redundant movie ever.
    It is largely redundant, but its a much better adaptation of the Spider-Man comics than the Sam Raimi movies were if only from a casting perspective, which makes it much better in my eyes.

• Looper is a perfect movie for the first 2/3rds, but in that last 3rd it kind of falls apart. I think it takes too dramatic of a change from how the movie is setup to more of sell a message with the film. I understood it and the character change(s), but that's sort of where my suspension of disbelief snapped and I couldn't get back into the movie.
  • I enjoyed the entire experience. I'm not sure how I would have done the ending any differently.

At any rate, I'm SO glad that movies like this come along at all. Just a really cool ride.
  • its a much better adaptation of the Spider-Man comics than the Sam Raimi movies
    But it's a much worse movie.
  • I turned Killer Elite off 40 minutes in.
  • its a much better adaptation of the Spider-Man comics than the Sam Raimi movies
    Not even. Amazing Spider-Man was so much better because Tobey "Milquetoast" Macguire was a horrible Spider-Man. Andrew Garfield was better as both Peter Parker and the friendly neighbourhood web crawler.

Also, Martin Sheen.
    Not even. Amazing Spider-Man was so much better because Tobey "Milquetoast" Macguire was a horrible Spider-Man. Andrew Garfield was better as both Peter Parker and the friendly neighbourhood web crawler.

Also, Martin Sheen.
    The Amazing Spider-Man had an awful score, laughable drama, terrible writing, and Martin Sheen. Andrew Garfield played a better Spider-Man, sure, but I don't think that just because this movie represented the character better than Raimi's version means it's a better movie. Because it ain't.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2012
    Moonrise Kingdom was definitely interesting.
    Is this the first Wes Anderson picture you've ever seen?
    its a much better adaptation of the Spider-Man comics than the Sam Raimi movies

Also, Martin Sheen.
    The Amazing Spider-Man had an awful score, laughable drama, terrible writing, and Martin Sheen. Andrew Garfield played a better Spider-Man, sure, but I don't think that just because this movie represented the character better than Raimi's version means it's a better movie. Because it ain't.
    Post edited by Geo on
    Nope. Seen all of his movies except the Darjeeling Limited and the Royal Tennenbaums.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2012
    Nope. Seen all of his movies except the Darjeeling Limited and the Royal Tennenbaums.
    Oh okay. That response sounds like somebody who hasn't seen an Anderson film before, no offense. Which is your favorite one so far? Mine is Rushmore.

Post edited by Geo on
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2012
    Double post
    Post edited by Geo on
    Oh okay. That response sounds like somebody who hasn't seen an Anderson film before, no offense. Which is your favorite one so far? Mine is Rushmore.

This will probably come to the surprise of no one, but my favourite is the Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Cussing awesome movie.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2012

This will probably come to the surprise of no one, but my favourite is the Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Cussing awesome movie.
    You are a clustercuss of obviousness.

EDIT: How about favorite live-action Wes Anderson film?

Post edited by Geo on
  • edited October 2012
    Found an interesting interpretation of the timeline stuff in Looper. I don't know if you could call this 100% correct, but it's hard to find an explanation that is for time travel movies. This one at least mostly makes sense to me, especially thematically. Thoughts?

From "Justin" in the comments of Cinema Blend (edited for clarity):

"The best argument I've heard is that there are 2 timelines running in a loop.

Timeline A:
    Young Joe kills his older self, sack on head. Cid has no influence from Joe, so he becomes the Rainmaker due to the terrible relationship with his mother that never heals. Young Joe then grows up, lives in China, marries, etc. You see this in the film. Old Joe then sets himself free as he's being sent back in time, and he goes back of his own accord. Start Timeline B.

Timeline B:
    You know the rest. Young Joe doesn't kill his older self. The movie unfolds -- until the end, when instead, Young Joe doesn't kill himself. Instead, Old Joe kills Sarah. Cid grows up to become the Rainmaker out of bitterness and loss. Young Joe grows old, not caring what happens anymore. He gets teleported back in time by the Rainmaker, sack on head, gets killed by his younger self. Start Timeline A again.

The key is the end of the movie. Young Joe has a premonition about the loop, as though it's happened before. Thus, he makes a decision to change his fate, and kills himself. He thus changes the timelines, changing the end of Timeline B, and so Timeline A no longer exists. Cid grows up to presumably control his power and be a good person, under the protection of his mother who he now accepts.

The only remaining issue is Old Joe's memory changes. That can be explained with the merging timeline theory. As the Joe from Timeline A starts to change things in Timeline B, his memory begins to shape with this timeline, as the universe begins connecting him to Timeline B's Joe. Thus, the merging memory."
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Reminds me of the awesome Primer timeline charts.
  • I heard that the Primer guys were mentioned in the making or credits of Looper.