This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Watched Fearless Freaks, a documentary about The Flaming Lips. It was nice to see how the Lips sound progressed, but it didn't discuss much I didn't already know about, except for the extent of Drozd's drug problem, which was really interesting and upsetting. After that, The Devil and Daniel Johnston, which was just astounding. I like a few Johnston tunes, not many; I dig about half of Yip/Jump Music. The film is composed half of interviews and half of actual footage that Daniel had people shoot of him, to chronicle his life, from high school until his complete split from reality.

• Heavy Metal. Yeah. Wow. THANKS PAUL CHAPMAN!
    Paul Chapman shafted somebody once again?
  • Saw Flightplan in the Juror's lounge today. I was getting annoyed with it until the twist of the true motive. Then, I thought the movie was awesome.
  • Saw Flightplan in the Juror's lounge today. I was getting annoyed with it until the twist of the true motive. Then, I thought the movie was awesome.
    I remember that movie. I thought it was really good when the twist hit.
  • Tonight, as part of Ellie's continuing movie education we watched Fight Club. Still awesome.
    Paul Chapman shafted somebody once again?
    Oh I went in knowing full well what I should expect from the movie. The comment was partly in jest since the movie is really bad, but I was still entertained by it.
  • I saw 2 movies recently, one I liked, and the other I didn't like. First movie was A Seriuos Man, which I thought was awesome until it ended, then I hated it. The other movie was more of a documentary than a movie, but it was still good. It was called Jump London, and it's a documentary about parkour and freerunning. I would link to it, but typing on an Itouch isn't very condusive to linking.
  • I just watched the Exorcist. I really liked it, and can see why it is an important film, but the editing really got to me. Maybe the director's cut will fare better.
  • I just watched "Food Inc". It is a good documentary. Also, if you care of what you eat you should watch it.
  • Will watch Food Inc. I have three additions to make.

Dirty Harry- Fantastic movie. Clint Eastwood is so entertaining and this is such a good cop who follows his own rules. It's like, the definitive. Great hero, great villian, and just great overall to watch.

Blues Brothers- Maybe not laugh-out-loud hilarious, but insanely entertaining and it's practically like a musical. It's so damn cool how they have this many celebrities and musicians and having one of the best car chases I've seen in a movie. Fucking great pick-me-up start to finish.

Silence of the Lambs- Wow...that's officially in my Top 5 of movies now. No wonder it was an Oscar Sweeper. I couldn't believe it every step of the way. Jodie Foster is fantastic and Anthony Hopkins is god damn epic. Even when you know about Hannibal Lecter, it is still such a different experience watching what happens in the movie. Especially around the later scenes in the movie.

Thank you Netflix, for allowing me to fish through movies I haven't seen. :3
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2010
    Silence of the Lambs- Wow...that's officially in my Top 5 of movies now. No wonder it was an Oscar Sweeper. I couldn't believe it every step of the way. Jodie Foster is fantastic and Anthony Hopkins is god damn epic. Even when you know about Hannibal Lecter, it is still such a different experience watching what happens in the movie. Especially around the later scenes in the movie.
    That is how I felt by the end of the film. The real shock I got however was when I first saw Hannibal Lecter. There was so much foreshadowing and so much made to make him look like an insane, wild, monster (he is just that by the end), but then I just saw this intelligent, clean, and erudite man. I was like "THAT is Hannibal Lecter?!" After the "I ate his liver" scene, my face was contorted to utter disgust and fright. That is a goddamn good movie and it's one of those movies everyone has to see at least once in their lives.

EDIT: What really did it for me however is this. It is rare enough to see a female cop (I wish it weren't that way however), but it is unheard of to see one with such emotional and psychological depth that you can almost physically feel.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I watched "Toys" last night. I really liked it and LL Cool J is a surprisingly good actor.
  • I saw Drag Me to Hell over the weekend. It was alright. I didn't care for the ending, even though it's seems to be fitting and you could totally see it coming.

I also watch The Princess and The Frog. Very enjoyable. I'm happy I bought it before watching it. Disney seems to be doing the right thing and returning back to it's days of The Little Mermaid. I look forward to the Rapunzel story, Tangled.
  • I saw Drag Me to Hell over the weekend. It was alright. I didn't care for the ending, even though it's seems to be fitting and you could totally see it coming.
    It's like they mentioned it in the title.
  • It's like they mentioned it in the title.
    I know, but I was hoping for it to be happy. I wanted Justin Long to be happy. I adore him.
  • I just watched Crank; It was full of hilarious violence and surprisingly clever film-making. I'd recommend it to anyone who can have a good laugh at wanton depravity.
  • Crank is a movie where Jason Statham drives a car and kills people.
  • Falling Down

Wow, that was a great movie. I think if you automatically dislike Joel Schumacher for what he's done, do keep in mind that he does some really great movies. And Falling Down is a great story about revenge and a normal-looking guy going insane and going on a rampage through Los Angeles. Michael Douglas and Robert Duvall are awesome in this.
  • Saw Tank Girl again yesterday, awesome as always.
  • Falling Down
    That's always been one of my favorite movies. It's doesn't really have the impact today that it did when it was first in theatres, however. It was a different time, you understand.
  • It's like they mentioned it in the title.
    I know, but I was hoping for it to be happy. I wanted Justin Long to be happy. I adore him.
    Fun fact: Justin Long hails from the town that my father worked as Head of the Library (before going to New Rochelle): Fairfield, CT. I think he's a great actor.
  • edited March 2010
    I think he's a great actor.
    Fascinating. In what? I mustn't have seen it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I think he's a great actor.
    Fascinating. In what? I mustn't have seen it.
    Um...Galaxy Quest?
  • Um...Galaxy Quest?
    No, I saw that. He was average, to be generous.
  • Crank is a Jason Statham movie.
  • Jason Statham is the movie Crank.
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2010
    I am in shock after seeing this, absolute shock. Here is a little background for you guys. I frickin' love daikaiju movies and have seen too many to count. I've pretty much seen every single Godzilla and Gamera movie that exists (I started young at that), however it wasn't until today that I saw the American-made version of Godzilla. I had an open mouth by the end. Now I'm not jumping on the bandwagon and hating it like everyone else. Let me put this into perspective: I was a huge kaiju fan and I was disappointed. For what it was (popcorn entertainment), it was okay. I feel the the same problem occurred with Independence Day: it was basically a movie about aliens coming down and blowing shit up and Will Smith dragging them through the desert, and everyone hated it. I don't know if audiences were expecting the meaning of life, but that's not what Independence Day is.

The problem with the movie is that they called it Godzilla. It has nothing at all to do with it. Two simple things: he breathes fire and is indestructible, none of that ever happens at all in the movie. It owes more to Jurassic Park than it does to Godzilla, and this could have been a chance to introduce Western audiences to Godzilla without having them to go through the rigmarole of searching out the movies. To sum it up: the studio was interested in the name for marquee value and could care less about the character itself.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Two simple things: he breathes fire and is indestructible, none of that ever happens at all in the movie. It owes more to Jurassic Park than it does to Godzilla, and this could have been a chance to introduce Western audiences to Godzilla without having them to go through the rigmarole of searching out the movies. To sum it up: the studio was interested in the name for marquee value and could care less about the character itself.
    I seem to remember Zilla breathing fire at one point. But it was for only about a second before Zilla just started going back to being a T-Rex.
    Two simple things: he breathes fire and is indestructible, none of that ever happens at all in the movie.
    Did you watch those Cinemassacre reviews too? He says the exact same thing as you did.
  • To sum it up: the studio was interested in the name for marquee value and could care less about the character itself.
    ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING.