This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I share the same views, but he stated it better than I could have, so good call. I must give credit to James Rolfe on that.
  • I decided to watch "How to Train your Dragon" instead of "The Hot Tub Time Machine" and I have no regrets. It was all kinds of awesome and I also had to fight some manly tears :D
  • edited March 2010
    To sum it up: the studio was interested in the name for marquee value and could care less about the character itself.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Watched The Blind Side on the flight from Chicago. I had no idea what it was about, and was quite pleased to watch it.
  • edited March 2010
    I watched two incredibly enjoyable films this weekend. The first was I'm Not Rappaport, a movie version of Herb Gardner's stage play of the same name. It is an incredible cast (Walter Matthau, Ossie Davis, Amy Irving, Craig T. Nelson, Martha Plimpton, Peter Friedman, and Ron Rifkin) and the film is really quite charming.

The second film we watched is The Matador staring Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinnear. It is the most surreal buddy movies I have ever seen. The setup is that an average and down-on-his-luck guy befriends a vulgar hit man having a nervous breakdown. This is the shot from the film that put it on my radar years ago and made me remember it when I was browsing a the shelves of a Hollywood Video rental store that was going out of business (DVDs for $2.00).

I think many in the FRC would highly enjoy both of these films.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • The second film we watched isThe Matadorstaring Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinnear.
    I love, love, love that movie.
  • edited March 2010
    Romero's 6th "Living Dead" movie, Survival of the Dead. It's getting a lot of flak, but I actually enjoyed it. Considering that I didn't think we'd get another Living Dead movie after Day of the Dead in the mid 80s, I'm happy to get anything new from George Romero. Let's just pretend that Diary of the Dead doesn't exist.
    Post edited by zombie a gogo on
  • I decided to watch "How to Train your Dragon" instead of "The Hot Tub Time Machine" and I have no regrets. It was all kinds of awesome and I also had to fight some manly tears :D
    We went to see that last night. In summary, this film was what Avatar should have been: shorter, properly paced, with a twist and some emotional connection, but still fun and not heavy-handed. The animation was gorgeous (The surfacers did an amazing job with burly-man-upper-arm skin), the dragons were fun and well-designed, and there were no scenes that I got tired of and wanted to end. It wasn't a blow-you-away revelations movie, but it was exactly what it needed to be. Fun!

Incidentally, going to see a movie at 8:50 on a Tuesday night pretty much gets you the theater all to yourself; perfect date!
  • I watched Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood (Jesus tap-dancing Christ, that is a long name) last night. It was pretty funny, especially when you know that it's a Wayan Brothers movie (and have unfortunately seen their later work).
  • Falling Down
    That's always been one of my favorite movies. It's doesn't really have the impact today that it did when it was first in theatres, however. It was a different time, you understand.
    I was really surprised by it. I know it was during the time of the LA Riots, but I found it to still hold up today thanks to the amount of research and series we have based around serial killers/criminal study. And at times, it's really funny just from what Michael Douglas says: "Now you're gonna die with that stupid hat on. :D"

Also saw How To Train Your Dragon over the weekend, and found it amazing. I don't know if it's my favorite Dreamworks Animated Picture, but it's definitely in the Top 3 between Kung Fu Panda and Shrek 2. It was really well paced, I loved the main characters, and the humor was really, really on-point. (My brother was really cracking up when Hiccup gets the helmet) For the animation, the flying scenes were incredible, but other than that I didn't find the 3D to be all that necessary. And finally, Toothless is god damn adorable. @_@ Plushies and Toys of him are going to sell like mad.

I also saw it at the Winchester Alamo Drafthouse, and really enjoyed being able to eat pizza and drink beer while watching it, but they didn't have the cool Real 3D Glasses. I found the Real 3D glasses to be more comfortable.
  • I just watched an awesome Russian fantasy movie called "Wolfhound" when translated, or Volkadov in romanized characters. It was awesome and really shows a lot of the Russian method of storytelling. I highly recommend this if you are even slightly interested in movies like 'The 13th Warrior'. If you don't speak Russian then look for subtitles, the movie was never dubbed in English.

Preview here
  • The Animated Movie of Cat Shit One is coming out later this year - I can only hope it gets translated to english, or at least subtitled, it looks really good.
  • There are no words for how bad The Room is. It's like the bastard genetic offspring of The Wicker Man, Plan 9, Manos, and a romantic drama with a hefty helping of horrific defects even those movies didn't possess. The film is mindsplittingly terrible, and Tommy Wiseau should be fucking ashamed of himself.
  • There are no words for how bad The Room is.
    Worse than the Star Wars Holiday Special?
  • Worse than the Star Wars Holiday Special?
    I haven't seen it. They're probably in the same abyssal plane of terrible cinema.
  • Youtube is a great place not to watch it.
  • Rewatched Moon last night on Blu-ray. This movie is one of my favorites of the last few years. In terms of my personal fav sci-fi films, it gives me the same type of enjoyment that I get from Blade Runner and Tron. Highly recommend.
  • Go see Shutter Island!!!! Seriously!!!!
  • There are no words for how bad The Room is. It's like the bastard genetic offspring of The Wicker Man, Plan 9, Manos, and a romantic drama with a hefty helping of horrific defects even those movies didn't possess. The film is mindsplittingly terrible, and Tommy Wiseau should be fuckingashamedof himself.
    The fact that it is the worst movie ever made was the point of the movie to begin with. It's like the Producers, the creator was intentionally trying to make something completely atrocious.
  • edited April 2010
    The fact that it is the worst movie ever made was the point of the movie to begin with. It's like the Producers, the creator was intentionally trying to make something completely atrocious.
    Except not. Wiseau legitimately believes it's a good movie. It was based on a novel and a play he was writing at the time. Writing used here in the loosest terms.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Clash of the Titans was wonderful. Don't take the way too serious movie seriously, and you'll enjoy it.
  • Clash of the Titans was wonderful. Don't take the way too serious movie seriously, and you'll enjoy it.
    I didn't go in with any expectations and yet I still came out disappointed...
    I really enjoyed it, but I wanted some more scenes with the Gods and some more action.
    I really enjoyed it, but I wanted some more scenes with the Gods and some more action.
    Is Bubo there?
  • I recently watched Animal House after a period of of 5 years. That's too goddamn long for that movie as it remains the topper in my list of funniest movies I've ever seen. Even though most of it's depictions appear salaciously untrue, I can't be quite sure...

Best scene is -SMASH...pause..."Sorry".
  • Is Bubo there?
    Perseus finds a Bubo and is told to leave it.
  • Blade Runner. Another classic to strike off my list.
  • Blade Runner. Another classic to strike off my list.
    Which cut?
  • There are no words for how bad The Room is.
    Ugh! I began to watch that on a dare, and only got ten minutes in before I had to change the channel. I don't know what I was thinking.
  • Ugh! I began to watch that on a dare, and only got ten minutes in before I had to change the channel. I don't know what I was thinking.
    But you missed the best line!