This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Ellie's movie education continued last night with Silence of the Lambs. Still awesome.
  • Zombieland finally arrived from Netflix yesterday. It was a great fun movie but far too short. At the end I felt like I was watching a Left For Dead 2 movie.
  • Just watched "The Plan".

My thoughts... They made a movie of this? Just to tell us Cavil had a plan that he screwed up?
  • Law Abiding Citizen is a sorta lame Death Note.
  • edited April 2010
    Year One was not quite as bad as critics said*. However, Jack Black is no longer funny to me in any way, and Michael Cera is the same character in every single role he takes. He remains the constant George Michael Bluth.

*If you are drunk and lonely one night and you've already washed your car, knitted a sweater, reorganized all the books you own, beat Super Mario 3 for the 30th time, and have a mild concussion.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited April 2010
    How To Train Your Dragon was just as good as everyone said it would be.
    Post edited by Diddgery on
  • I saw the remake of Clash of the Titans recently. I now need to watch the original and suffer through the annoying mechanical owl.
  • Just watched Julie & Julia. I found it to be very adorable and endearing. Meryl Streep did a really good job as Julia Child.
  • I did a Kurosawa Double Feature today, and I have found nothing but enjoyment and more added respect to the man. The two films in question were Yojimbo and The Hidden Fortress. It was after watching Yojimbo did I realize that Kurosawa was not a Japanese filmmaker, he was a Western filmmaker that just happened to be of Japanese descent. After much Internet research, my suspicions were confirmed and I learned that he was heavily influenced by John Ford, and he in turn based much of his style off Ford. If you've seen A Fistful of Dollars, you will know the premise of Yojimbo.

If any of you haven't seen a Kurosawa film, choose any one you want to watch; you really can't lose.

This last comment is directed at Apreche. I know Star Wars: Episode IV is to you one of those films you can just turn on at any given moment, in that case you owe it to yourself to watch The Hidden Fortress as Lucas was directly inspired by the latter to make Star Wars due to his enjoyment of the similar story elements and plot points present in The Hidden Fortress.
  • Jumped on the band wagon and just watched Up in the Air. Fantastic, in my opinion. Very touching a lot of ways.
  • Rewatched Avatar. It was still pretty, but otherwise, pretty bland, boring, and generally, not really that good of a movie. I don't think I'll even bother watching it again.
  • Scarface.

Holy shit.
  • Scarface.

Holy shit.
    That's the correct response.
  • Just watched Sword of the Stranger a second time. It's an an hour and 45 minutes of satisfyingly executed clichés glued together by lovingly animated fight scenes. Always a good time.
  • Just watched Sword of the Stranger a second time. It's an an hour and 45 minutes of satisfyingly executed clichés glued together by lovingly animated fight scenes. Always a good time.
    True that.
  • Meryl Streep did a really good job
    But doesn't she always?
  • Meryl Streep did a really good job
    But doesn't she always?
    Very true. I actually do want to watch Mama Mia, just because she's in it, even though there is singing.
  • I've been in a documentary mood lately.

Saw Food Inc., felt very thankful that a Farmers Market starts selling stuff this week. It feels like all evil in in the food world is because of fast food. Makes me feel kind of guilty, but knowledgeable at the same time.

Bigger, Stronger, Faster. INCREDIBLE documentary, because not only does it bring up a lot of facts and information on steroids and how it's affected the sports industry, but it also focuses on a man who wonders about taking steroids and how he grew up. Would definitely recommend to anyone.

Maxed Out. ...Guilty American feels Guilty.
  • I just got back from seeing Kick-Ass a few hours ago. It's got some GREAT action sequences.
  • Last night I saw Life During Wartime. It was showing as part of a film festival here in Istanbul, and there was a Q&A session with the director afterward. It was only during the Q&A that I worked out it was a sequel of sorts to Happiness, a movie I've seen before, but recast with different actors.
  • It's not really a movie, but I got the first DVD of the John Adams HBO mini-series in the mail yesterday and watched it. I'm in kind of awe of how good it is. They really should be showing this in high schools, maybe middle schools.
  • Kick-Ass was bloody awesome, and awesomely bloody too!
  • edited April 2010
    We saw Date Night last night. It had many chuckles, but the film wasn't as funny as it's blooper reel. It was also incredibly inconsistent from a technical point of view. I wish I waited to see it on netflix, but I would be lying if I said it wasn't worth watching at all - it was funny.
    It's not really a movie, but I got the first DVD of the John Adams HBO mini-series in the mail yesterday and watched it. I'm in kind of awe of how good it is. They really should be showing this in high schools, maybe middle schools.
    I've wanted to see that, but haven't made the time. Thanks for the reminder. ^_^
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited April 2010
    Not a movie, per se, but I'm officially hooked on Spartacus: Blood and Sand (or Xena: Boobie Princess 2: Electric Boogaloo: The Roman Years).

EDIT: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • It's not really a movie, but I got the first DVD of the John Adams HBO mini-series in the mail yesterday and watched it. I'm in kind of awe of how good it is. They really should be showing this in high schools, maybe middle schools.
    YES! I love that series! I loaned it to my parents at Christmas and I have yet to get it back from them! It's simply amazing!
  • How to Train Your Dragon managed to balance invention with a traditional kids film plot. I enjoyed it quite a bit. On the other hand, I am fuming about The Karate Kid trailer bundled before the movie. Jackie Chan -- who is Chinese -- actually tells Will Smith's kid that he's going to teach him KUNG FU -- A CHINESE MARTIAL ART! The plot has Little Willie moving with his mother to China. But the movie is still titled The Karate Kid. KARATE DOES NOT EQUAL KUNG FU, YOU DUMB SHITS.

Also, no sign of either Cobra Kai or Elizabeth Shue.
  • KARATE DOES NOT EQUAL KUNG FU, YOU DUMB SHITS.
    Apparently America is the only place in the world where this is being called The Karate Kid. Apparently in most of the world it's being called The Kung Fu Kid.
  • My ass is black and blue ;)
  • Also, no sign of either Cobra Kai or Elizabeth Shue.
    Or Mr. Miyagi's Little Trees.
  • I recently saw Press Start, and I honestly don't know what to make of it. Parts of it I found funny, others I found rather plodding. I guess that's par for the course for low-budget, home grown movies. Perhaps a good movie from such a perspective, but it doesn't really stand out. At least they didn't pull an Asylum.