This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• In the last two days, I've watched Johna Hex and The A-Team.
    Also, not sure if it counts, but the Doctor Who Christmas special. Good stuff all around.
  • Just saw Battlefield Earth. All I can say is:

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

It was SO terrible. I'd heard it was bad, but I didn't expect it to be that painful. There were so many plot holes, bad acting, and bad shooting (I now have a headache, and keep randomly tilting my head from left to right). They were many minor annoyances Why did one of the cavemen have an American accent? How could the cavemen learn to FLY in 6 days with a simulator? Why did the aliens miss every single goddamn shot, whereas the protagonist, who had never held anything more advanced than a spear, hit every single one? Why did all the human technology still work after (apparently) hundreds of years? Why did they enthusiastically support NUKING THE ENTIRE HOME PLANET OF THE ALIENS even though they thought it was terrible of them to just enslave the humans? Add to that that the cool characters died, and this movie is 100% the worst movie I have seen, beating both Napolean Dynamite and The Last Airbender.
  • Just watched Easy A. It was very enjoyable. I really like Emma Stone. Her parents were hilarious.
  • Toy Story 3. Was good. Obviously no where near as good as what the internets have told me, but still a very good movie. Got the Trilogy pack and watched 2 and 3 back to back. 2 was better IMO.
  • edited January 2011
    Just got back from seeing Black Swan. 'Twas excellent. I have to give the movie a lot of credit too, since I don't normally cringe at stuff, but this movie had several parts that included the very few things I am squeamish over.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Robocop earns its cult classic stars quite well.
  • Black Swan: Fantastic. I love movies that are thrillers and deal with insanity.
    Tron: Okay. Very pretty, and generally a good tribute to the original, despite a bunch of plot holes and some things that made no sense.
    Secret of the Kells: Seemed short, but a very entertaining film. They did an excellent job in incorporating patterns and art from the actual Book of Kells into the animation. Well worth watching.
    Rainbow Brite & the Star Stealer: Okay, why the hell did we watch this? It just crept into my brain after Kells and I wondered if it was on Netflix. Somehow, Kate and I watched the whole thing. It's a bit ridiculous, and childish, and some weird part of my nostalgia made me watch the whole thing. I don't know what to say.
  • Rainbow Brite & the Star Stealer: Okay, why the hell did we watch this? It just crept into my brain after Kells and I wondered if it was on Netflix. Somehow, Kate and I watched the whole thing. It's a bit ridiculous, and childish, and some weird part of my nostalgia made me watch the whole thing. I don't know what to say.
    That's funny on Monday after New Years, Rym was watching bits and peaces of it while we were getting up in the morning ^_^ It definitely was a set of toys my sister owned and I forgot about. I love the "evil" Mario villain.
  • I just saw Die Hard again. Still one of the best Christmas movies ever made.

Emily and I took a chance on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and I was pleasantly surprised at it being an average, watchable movie. Not great, but not unbearable. The characters generally did the "smart" thing at every turn. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the movie to anyone, but if you're looking for a simple murder mystery that largely plays by the rules of reality, it's adequately entertaining.
  • edited January 2011
    I know that I want to watch a movie tonight, but I'm not sure which one. So I'll just have you guys pick one. The options are:
    * 12 Angry men
    * 300 (with Rifftrax)
    * Animal House
    * Daredevil (with Rifftrax)
    * Fantastic Four - Rise of the Silver Surfer (with Rifftrax)
    * Kiss of Death
    * Logan's Run
    * Mary Poppins
    * Screamers
    * Serenity
    * Social Distortion - Another State of Mind
    * Star Trek V (with Rifftrax)
    * Taxi Driver
    * The Jungle Book
    * Trespass
    * Up
    * Zombieland

P.S.: The listing tags for this forum are crappily formated.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • * 12 Angry men
    Times a million.
  • * 12 Angry men
    Times a million.
    12 Million Angry Men does not sound like a fun time >>
  • 12 Million Angry Men does not sound like a fun time >>
    Cinematic masterpieces don't have to be. ;)
  • edited January 2011
    Going Postal, the latest in the new Discworld movies being produced by the BBC, was pretty damn good. It starts of a little eh, but once it gets rolling, it rolls. It didn't quite have as much "Disc-ness" as Hogfather or The Colour of Magic, but it was still thoroughly enjoyable. And it even has Terry Pratchett doing a cameo!

Hogfather is still the best of the three movies so far released.

EDIT: Huh. Apparently, Pratchett has had cameos in all of the movies so far. I just never noticed it till this one.

Time to re-watch!
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Thank you Günter. Now I wonder why I didn't get around to watch it earlier. Been sitting on my hard drive for over a year now, something I'm now ashamed to admit :/
    Awesome film, to say the least.
  • 12 Million Angry Men does not sound like a fun time >>
    Cinematic masterpieces don't have to be. ;)
    I recently got Netflix. I never actually had it because I mooched off of other people's Netflixes. Basically there were some old movies I wanted to watch that were too hard to get torrents of. I have resumed my question to watch all of the IMDB top 250 movies, even though that is a moving target. I started that quest back in 2003 or 4. I have the list at the time I started printed out.

Coincidentally, 12 Angry Men was the first movie I put into the Netfilx queue because it was the first unwatched movie on the list. I just watched it.

I give it 10 stars, out of five.
  • 12 Angry Men was the first movie I put into the Netfilx queue because it was the first unwatched movie on the list. I just watched it.

I give it 10 stars, out of five.
    Damn son, I'd always assumed you'd seen it.
  • I have resumed my question to watch all of the IMDB top 250 movies, even though that is a moving target.
    I think I'm going to join you in that quest. Could somebody do me a favor and copy-paste the Current Top 250 here? I would do it myself but IMDB has this craptastic feature where it shows me, due to my location, the german names of the movies.
  • I like Netflix because it gives me the ability to watch all the crappy movies on demand that I would never waste a trip to the rental store on. For instance, I zoned out Saturday to Undercover Brother while playing Minecraft.
  • Undercover Brother is a fine piece of cinema, and the lack of attention you gave to it is nothing less than scandalous, sir. :slap across the face with a glove:
  • I think that watching the top 250 IMDB Films is an amazing goal! I think I may usurp that one for myself as well.

As for 12 Angry Men, it is indeed a very, very, fine film.
  • Undercover Brother is a fine piece of cinema
    Yea, I OWN Undercover Brother It's a great movie.
  • Currently I've seen 75 of the current Top 250 IMDB movies. I got about another 10 on my hard drives or on DVD but haven't yet watched them.
  • Undercover Brother is a fine piece of cinema
    Yea, I OWN Undercover Brother It's a great movie.
    Undercover Brother has, on top of being a great movie, done wonderful things for the orange soda industry.
  • Movie time. What should I watch? Options are:

* Godfather Part I
    * Logan's Run
    * Mary Poppins
    * Raging Bull
    * Roman Holiday
    * Scarface
    * Star Trek (2009)
    * Taxi Driver
    * The Departed
  • Movie time. What should I watch? Options are:

* Godfather Part I
    * Logan's Run
    * Mary Poppins
    * Raging Bull
    * Roman Holiday
    * Scarface
    * Star Trek (2009)
    * Taxi Driver
    * The Departed
    All of them in that order except Star Trek.
  • edited January 2011
    Scarface.
    Fancy a swim?
    Post edited by Walker on
  • All of them in that order except Star Trek.
    What? FU the new Star Trek was pretty good. You are right it does not deserve to be in "that" list but it definitely should be watched.
  • All of them in that order except Star Trek.
    What? FU the new Star Trek was pretty good. You are right it does not deserve to be in "that" list but it definitely should be watched.
    It's Star Trek.