This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I'd say Burn After Reading was more of a study in futility than pointlessness.
  • Both Fargo and Burn After Reading ended with lines along the lines of "What the fuck was that all about?"
    What? Fargo had a very strong message, concluding fully at the end of the movie. It was hardly pointless.
    Heh, yeah, you caught me. I hardly paid attention when I watched Fargo years ago. May that whole comment be stricken from the record.
  • edited May 2011
    I'd say Burn After Reading was more of a study in futility than pointlessness.
    I'm pretty sure it was a spoof of how everything falls into place in most spy films. In Burn After Reading, quite literally nothing happened as planned.

"Oswald Cox? I thought you might be interested about the security...of your shit."
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'd say Burn After Reading was more of a study in futility than pointlessness.
    I'm pretty sure it was a spoof of how everything falls into place in most spy films. In Burn After Reading, quite literally nothing happened as planned.
    "Oswald Cox? I thought you might be interested about the security...of your shit."
    I really didn't like that movie. It had its funny moments, but the sheer pointlessness of the movie bugged me.
    I really didn't like that movie. It had its funny moments, but the sheer pointlessness of the movie bugged me.
    It wasn't pointless, though. You feeling like you felt was the entire point of the film. Consider the trailer:

Nothing to hint at the fact that this was anything other than your usual Hollywood spy movie, albeit with typical Coen quirkiness. You're meant to assume that there's going to be spy action, car chases, sex, guns, basically everything you'd get in a Bond film. Then, when you see the movie, that stuff is there, but in total disarray, with a plot that completely falls apart on the characters. The point is that you were led to believe you were going to see a typical spy film, it was denied to you, and instead you got a movie with all of the components tossed in as if someone just went "What do we need to make a good spy movie?" and wrote a script based on that. I'd argue that the point is to make you think about your expectations for a good spy film, and if you can really enjoy just any movie with those things in it.
  • Kung Fu Panda 2 was good times. I am not gonna lie, some manly tears were shed during the movie.
  • Did you like the Hangover? Then you will like the Hangover: Part II. It is literally the same movie, just a little less funny (but I feel like that is because it doesn't feel original any more).
  • Drive Angry. Entertaining, nothing more, nothing less.
  • edited May 2011
    Re-watched The Hangover, and should be going to see Hangover 2 later in the week. They're okay, not so bad. They Deliver as promised, I guess.
    If there is one thing I can hold against both movies, though, is that Now every moronic fuckwit is calling their group of friends "The Wolfpack", and seem to be genuinely convinced they are the first ones that thought of this zany original idea.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • So this site appeared that shows you which IMDB top 250 movies are on Netflix instant.

http://paulisageek.com/imdb-250-netflix/

I noticed that Ip Man was #250, and I hadn't seen it. I just seen it.

It's a modern Kung-Fu movie, and is so awesome. Just as good as Iron Monkey, only serious and not comedic. Mandatory viewing!
  • Ip Man 2 is also really good, but not quite as good as the first.
  • I noticed that Ip Man was #250, and I hadn't seen it. I just seen it.

It's a modern Kung-Fu movie, and is so awesome. Just as good as Iron Monkey, only serious and not comedic. Mandatory viewing!
    Thanks for this, I have been thinking about watching some Kung-Fu film(s) lately. Maybe I'll watch this in near future.
  • Kung Fu Panda 2 was good times. I am not gonna lie, some manly tears were shed during the movie.
    Heck yes. Maybe nothing went rolling down my cheek, but these eyes were definitely not dry.
  • edited May 2011
    Tonight I watched Murnau's 1926 version of Faust, a silent film. It had beautiful scene composition, striking images, and good acting - definitely the best silent film I've seen. The only downside was that the ending was too forced. I would have preferred a bleaker ending, given how dark the story is. But really, watch it if only for Mephistopheles. It's on Netflix streaming. :)

Yeaah, Mephisto. Totally pimpin' it.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • Watched Breakin' 2: Electric Booglaloo last night. I'm sure you already knew you could skip it. But did you know that the hospital dance scene is not to be missed? Don't miss the mime's brief appearance at the end.

Also finished watching Attack of the Puppet People. I enjoyed it for the classic 1950s B-movie that it is. Special effects were actually pretty good for the time, and there was a well-used reference to The Colossal Man. Gotta love that. However, nominative determinism failed. They're not exactly puppet people, and they don't attack.
  • Made my return to the theater after 6+ months for a spontaneous trip to see Bridesmaids. I thought it was hilarious and would recommend to anybody. Probably won't be out for more than another week at this point.

Also, I was a bit behind on this thread, so to comment on falling asleep during Ghost in the Shell, I can relate to this so much. My senior year in high school, we used to pull these marathon movie days. The lesson we learned was that the last movie you put in, you're going to hate it just because you are tired or don't want to be sitting in front of the TV anymore. Ghost in the Shell was the unfortunate victim of being movie #4 one night. Nobody knew what the fuck was going on. 10 year later I have yet to rewatch it, so I am going to have to make a point of doing this soon. It's been too long.
  • I Am Number Four is so bad it's fucking awful. This movie is almost a crime against cinema. You can't even riff on it, it's so terrible. You just wonder where you have gone wrong in life to deserve such punishment. I didn't even finish watching it.

Avoid this movie like you would the bloated corpse of an Ebola victim.
  • When I saw the trailer for that, I knew right then and there that that movie was awful. I am glad to see my suspicions confirmed.
  • I Am Number Four is so bad it's fucking awful. This movie is almost a crime against cinema. You can't even riff on it, it's so terrible. You just wonder where you have gone wrong in life to deserve such punishment. I didn't even finish watching it.

Now I HAVE to see it.
  • Now I HAVE to see it.
    And people wonder why Omarrrrrr time and time again reiterates that Jason has shit taste in cinema. He didn't say it was so bad it got hilariously good.

Now I HAVE to see it.
    I heard Beastly (Which also has Alex Pettyfer) and Red Riding Hood, which are in the same vein, are even WORSE.
  • According to a critic for the Escapist, X-men: First Class is as good as The Dark Knight. I'll reserve judgement until I see it myself, cause this guy also likes Zack Snyder movies.
  • The trailer had a definite "cool" factor but I am just so sick of seeing these franchises rebooted in such quick fasion. I won't be seeing X-Men: First Class or this new Spider Man movie just out of spite. You don't get to take your franchises, run them into the fucking ground (see X-Men 3 and Spider Man 3, hours of my life I will never get back) and expect me to line up with cash in hand just because you've whiped the slate clean with a fresh cast and crew.
  • Tangled. Very cool movie. Lol'd out loud many times. Just such high quality and polish.
  • Lol'd out loud...
  • edited May 2011
    Heh...

ATM Machine.

DLC content.

They slip through! :P
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • I just audibly lololol'ed.
  • edited June 2011
    PIN number.... :)
    RAS Syndrome
    Adam's favorite example of RAS syndrome is "DSW Shoe Warehouse."
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited June 2011
    X-Men: First Class was a good action movie, but kind of fails as a prequel to the other X-Men movies. :P

Edit: It is apparently intended as a "loose prequel and reboot" according to Wikipedia. It's still a "meh" in my book. Too much frustrating bits and stupidity. Also, they can say Fuck in PG-13 movies now. I didn't know that.
    Post edited by Axel on