This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Well, it is unfortunate, but they did win the Cup last year. It is very, very unfortunate...
  • The Kids are Alright is a good movie, but the first half is kind of slow.
  • The new Pirates was not groundbreaking cinema. It was, however, a pirate-filled adventure ripped from trashy pulp fiction with a side order of incredibly badass Spaniards, and I enjoyed it.
  • Bridesmaids is quite fun. I recommend it highly to people of either gender.
  • The new Pirates was not groundbreaking cinema. It was, however, a pirate-filled adventure ripped from trashy pulp fiction with a side order of incredibly badass Spaniards, and I enjoyed it.
  • edited May 2011
    Bridesmaids is quite fun. I recommend it highly to people of either gender.
    I liked it, but some of the jokes went on for way too long.
    The new Pirates was not groundbreaking cinema. It was, however, a pirate-filled adventure ripped from trashy pulp fiction with a side order of incredibly badass Spaniards, and I enjoyed it.
    The best part of that movie was Barbossa's peg leg flask.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I concur.
  • edited May 2011
    Well, I told Lisa that Tremors was a dramatized documentary about seismology. You should have seen her face when that first graboid bubbled up. She drifted outside a few minutes later to play with some kittens that have infiltrated our neighborhood, but she sneaked back in for the final half-hour.

I also watched Wristcutters: A Love Story, which is one of those indy dramas that poses a creative premise but shrouds its message in bullshit esoteric symbolism. Between the palette, the religious references, and the eccentric personalities, it reminded me of O Brother, Where Art Thou? but in a far lesser way. You could also draw parallels to Riverworld, considering the "afterlife" theme. If I were in a different mood tonight, maybe I'd agree with IMDB's 7.4/10 rating, but I'm feeling more literal than literary.

Leslie Bibb is on my hall pass. Also, GOB is in this movie.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited May 2011
    I liked it, but some of the jokes went on for way too long.
    That was, in fact, the joke. Like the frozen peas.

The movie really did nail the "hold the camera there too long" joke.

I quite enjoyed. It had a couple of points that kind of bothered me, but it made up for it by being incredibly funny. Lots of outrageous and awkward situational humor.

And there's a character who is pretty much Pam from Archer.
    Well, I told Lisa that Tremors was a dramatized documentary about seismology.
    You're my goddamn hero.

EDIT: I actually really really enjoyed that movie. And the sequel, too.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Kill the Irishman, pretty cool.
  • edited May 2011
    Bridesmaids had me laughing pretty hard. While he only had a hand in as a producer, you could see why Judd Apatow liked the idea and wanted in on the movie. Totally worth seeing.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Since everyone is talking about it Im giving Last Action Hero a rewatch. 5 mins in.
  • Ok, the scene where the guy breaks in seems like it is going to be a rape scene.. I forgot about that.
  • I saw Bridesmaids last night. Meh. Mostly I was bored and irritated by the gross-out and slapstick humor, which generally doesn't appeal to me (if I want gross-out, I'm going all the way to Pink Flamingos or other early John Waters thankyouverymuch). I did enjoy the conversations between the best friends; their relationships felt like one of the more realistic portrayals of women's friendships that I've seen from Hollywood.

I'm not a fan of Ghost in the Shell. It's okay, but I'd already seen and loved Blade Runner, and it hit many of the same spots.

Loved The Illusionist. Brilliantly animated, sweet plot. I didn't really understand the relationship between the two main characters until it was brought to my attention that the movie was essentially a tribute to the filmmaker's daughter. And the ending still makes me sad, especially about the rabbit.
  • A couple days ago I finally re-watched Evangelion 2.22 in glorious HD. It made a lot more sense this time around with an accurate and complete translation (fansubbed version I got had whole scenes unsubbed), plus I watched it previously on my super old computer which made it really hard to tell what was going on in the action parts. Just a brilliant movie. I could not have asked for a better retelling of the story from what the first two movies have shown so far. They need to freaking get the third movie out already.

Also watched My Neighbors The Yamadas yesterday. Very cute movie, though I don't see myself watching it again. It would be a good one to show to others though, since it is very accessible, despite the specific cultural references.
  • They need to freaking get the third movie out already.
    Amen.
  • (if I want gross-out, I'm going all the way to Pink Flamingos or other early John Waters thankyouverymuch)
    Um, I don't normally say this to strangers, but I love you - instantly and for all eternity.
  • (if I want gross-out, I'm going all the way to Pink Flamingos or other early John Waters thankyouverymuch)
    Um, I don't normally say this to strangers, but I love you - instantly and for all eternity.
    Ooh, yay! Do you have a favorite Waters film? I'm exceptionally fond of Female Trouble.
    Ooh, yay! Do you have a favorite Waters film? I'm exceptionally fond of Female Trouble.
    It is probably a three-way tie for me between Polyester, Female Trouble, and Pink Flamingos.
  • Cry Baby, Serial Mom and Pecker.

Serial Mom had L7. Win.
  • Cry Baby, Serial Mom and Pecker.

Serial Mom had L7. Win.
    I don't think I've seen a better commentary on outsider art than Pecker.
  • Just mentioning Waters' films makes me want to marathon them like I used to in college. If only I had a free weekend coming up soon. -_-
  • I saw Pirates this past weekend and I was completely fooled by this trailer. Boy, I really should have known it was a joke...
  • Just mentioning Waters' films makes me want to marathon them like I used to in college. If only I had a free weekend coming up soon. -_-
    Circa 1986, one of our local theatres had an overnight Waters marathon. I think we started with Mondo Trasho and continued chronologically from there. I was the first time I saw The Diane Linkletter story (which now can be found on YouTube, but was impossible to find in the 80s).

I still want to see Hag in a Black Leather Jacket, which is shown in museums from time to time, but just can't/won't be distributed because of copyright issues.
  • Watching Big. I friggin LA LA LOVE this movie!
  • The King's Speech. It was okay. I was wondering how it was nominated (and won?) the Oscar for best direction, but now I see exactly why. The cinematography was really... interesting. Very clever, but I'm not sure it worked for me.
  • Saw The Big Lebowski for the first time. Funny. Not going into my list of favorites, but it was well done, and Jeff Bridges was really funny with his facial expressions. The whole movie was a bit pointless, but then that is part of the point of the whole thing, I think. I can see why it has such a big following.
  • Saw The Big Lebowski for the first time. Funny. Not going into my list of favorites, but it was well done, and Jeff Bridges was really funny with his facial expressions. The whole movie was a bit pointless, but then that is part of the point of the whole thing, I think. I can see why it has such a big following.
    Agreed. I enjoyed The Big Lebowski, though unfortunately I'd heard it hyped for so long that it couldn't quite live up to its reputation.
  • The Cohen Brothers really like making movies where the point is that there is no point. Both Fargo and Burn After Reading ended with lines along the lines of "What the fuck was that all about?"
  • Both Fargo and Burn After Reading ended with lines along the lines of "What the fuck was that all about?"
    What? Fargo had a very strong message, concluding fully at the end of the movie. It was hardly pointless.