This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• assandra Nova and the manifestation of Prof X's evil astral spirit twin
    I read that comic and it was one of the most bullshit things I have ever read. Seriously, it was ridiculous to a point that it just became stupid.
  • I watched three random movies over this weekend.

Gnomeo and Juliet I liked a LOT. Just the voices and all the Elton John music made it damn fun.

1st X-Men, When I look at the first movie, it does have a pretty interesting set-up and the fighting was really fun. It doesn't necessarily wow me as a Superhero movie, but it is still impressive for what it was. Last time I watched it was about 5 years ago. The only thing that annoys me watching it, was the focus on Rogue...who really doesn't do jack shit in the whole trilogy.

Watched Do The Right Thing. Great movie. Brilliant acting and dialogue. Need to see more movies from Spike Lee and/or ones with Ossie Davis. Mookie is an asshole. Buggin' Out is goddamn Gus from Breaking Bad.
  • Should I watch The Dark Crystal, The Toy, Blazing Saddles or The Jerk? (I have already seen all of these movies many times. But I have not seen The Dark Crystal or The Toy in the last 6 months.)
  • The Jerk. He hates those cans.
  • Dang it. The Jerk is not on Netflix. My copy of the Jerk is in my DVD folder/case which is downstairs. Im to lazy to go and get it. I guess Ill watch The Toy unless anyone can suggest something else.
  • Drive Angry was pretty good for a bad movie.
  • edited June 2011
    Watching Swingers. I had completely forgotten how fucking money this movie is.

Last night I had insomnia. I watched Ponyo, For Your Consideration, The Iron Giant, The Toy, The Jerk (I ended up manning up and going and finding my copy) ZA: Zombies Anonymous, and Romancing the Stone after the the sun had already risen.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • The Dilemma is not a funny movie.
  • What's Up, Doc? is a movie that is a live-action realization of Bugs Bunny tropes that is funny.
  • Source Code was fantastic.
  • edited June 2011
    Terrence Malick's Tree of Life is kind of amazing. If you can stomach contemplative, non-traditionally structured movies, you should definitely make an effort to see it.
    Post edited by Koholint on
  • The King's Speech was pretty good, and it's easy to see why it got such high accolades, but it just didn't really synch with me. Glad I watched it but I don't think I would recommend.
  • Source Code was fantastic.
    Yeah, I greatly enjoyed watching it. However I think the ending would have had a greater impact if they had moved it forward by a few minutes.
  • Saw Super 8 last night. If the Goonies, E.T., and Close Encounters of the Third Kind got it all on together and had a really awesome baby, this movie would be it.

I'm a huge fan of Kyle Chandler from Friday Night Lights, and he's great in this, and I hope he gets a lot of work after this movie.
  • You forgot Cloverfield. :P
  • Just watched Tremors. I watched one of the sequels a couple of years ago, so I knew what I had to expect. However, the film was a lot better than I expected it to be.
  • Drive Angry was pretty Nicolas Cage for a Nicolas Cage movie.
    Fixed it for you.
  • Tombstone is a movie where Kurt Russell rides horses and kills people. I'm feelin' like skinning some smokewagons, Huckleberry.
  • Super 8 was really good. It was like The Goonies Visit District Nine, and I was very, very okay with this. It's probably the best movie of its type I've seen since D9, as a matter of fact.
  • Another thumbs up for Super 8.
  • You know what movie is great?

The Fifth Element is Great.

MoolteePahssssss
  • You know what movie is great?

The Fifth Element is Great.

MoolteePahssssss
    I want a Chinese Restaurant that can pull up to my apartment window.
  • Just finished 127 Hours. Excellently made film, I really enjoyed it. Thanks to all the hype though, I was led to believe the arm cutting scene would be a lot more graphic than it was. Still, it was great overall.
  • I've been watching a lot of schlock lately to prepare for a panel at ConnectiCon. This weekend, so far:

Re-watched Terror of Tiny Town. The fact that it's the world's only "all-midget" western musical puts it on a lot of schlock must-watch lists, but I completely disagree. It's not bad enough to be good, just dull.

Saw 2010: Moby Dick for the first time. It's amazing that somebody got paid to write that script. Assylum is really at their best whenever giant marine animals are leaping into the air to devour aircraft, and this one doesn't disappoint.
  • Re-watched Terror of Tiny Town. The fact that it's the world's only "all-midget" western musical puts it on a lot of schlock must-watch lists, but I completely disagree. It's not bad enough to be good, just dull.
    This instantly reminded me of my Costume Design professor. He likes to tell us that he has always wanted to do a Midget Western, where the twist is incorporated by a wagon full of midget nuns coming to town. I'm not sure if he wanted to make it a musical or not, but given the rating he'd still probably do a better job than this film.
  • Re-watched Terror of Tiny Town. The fact that it's the world's only "all-midget" western musical puts it on a lot of schlock must-watch lists, but I completely disagree. It's not bad enough to be good, just dull.
    This instantly reminded me of my Costume Design professor. He likes to tell us that he has always wanted to do a Midget Western, where the twist is incorporated by a wagon full of midget nuns coming to town. I'm not sure if he wanted to make it a musical or not, but given the rating he'd still probably do a better job than this film.
    Tell him about El Topo.
  • I watched Super 8 last night and thought it was quite great, not amazing but a very solid movie.
    The kid's acting skills were awesome and helped me reminisce biking around after primary school, doing random things for fun visiting friend's houses on a regular basis. Feeling tension of not being wanted at certain homes when parents would return from work or be welcomed at others.

Spoiler conversation:
    I'm undecided on the monster / ET part of the storyline where Joe can communicate fully with the alien even with the great lead in of the kid's bio teacher. It was a little too feel good in terms of the alien / monster aspect of the movie but I guess it needed to be balanced with the coming of age, coming to terms with loss / death portion of the storyline. Something that threw me for a loop was Joe's Dad becoming superheroic to get out of his lockdown. However I think the director was asking the watcher to take the whole movie backdrop as a monster movie (like what the kids were doing).
    I though the directing and filming portion of the film by the kids was great and the actress that played Alice acted amazing because she could switch from playing the kid to serious acting so instantaneously. All up probably a 7/10 for me but I would have to watch it again to give it a fair chance, the audience in my theater were a little obnoxious and the front speaker volume was cranked much too high.
  • edited June 2011
    I watched the first 30 minutes of Clerks and one hour and fifteen minutes of Chasing Amy in an attempt to deepen my knowledge of Kevin Smith. In Clerks, especially, the directing and script are really bad. Chasing Amy was a little better on both of those fronts, but any time there's a plot where a homosexual (especially a lesbian) turns straight for the main character kinda feels a little...uncomfortable. To me it's a cinematic (and probably unconscious) manifestation of my most hated phrase spoken by douchey white boys ever: "Dude, I hate gay guys, but lesbians are okay, cause they might let you have a threesome with them." I didn't watch the last 45 minutes, but I thought I might to to sleep at one o'clock in the morning. Also, I think the acting in Clerks was pretty bad. I can honestly say that of these three movies, the only movie I came close to enjoying was Dogma, and I didn't like it that much.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • I watched the first 30 minutes of Clerks and one hour and fifteen minutes of Chasing Amy in an attempt to deepen my knowledge of Kevin Smith. In Clerks, especially, the directing and script are really bad. Chasing Amy was a little better on both of those fronts, but any time there's a plot where a homosexual (especially a lesbian) turns straight for the main character kinda feels a little...uncomfortable. To me it's a cinematic (and probably unconscious) manifestation of my most hated phrase spoken by douchey white boys ever: "Dude, I hate gay guys, but lesbians are okay, cause they might let you have a threesome with them." I didn't watch the last 45 minutes, but I thought I might to to sleep at one o'clock in the morning. Also, I think the acting in Clerks was pretty bad. I can honestly say that of these three movies, the only movie I came close to enjoying was Dogma, and I didn't like it that much.
    Chasing Amy's definitely an uncomfortable movie. It gets further complicated later. Ultimately (spoilerish): It raises questions not only about binary (or even three-fold) notions of sexual orientation, but about slut-shaming and objectification. Your comment about douchey white boys manifests itself quite literally, and is called out for being what it is. Which is why ultimately I found it pretty right-on, despite getting queasy in the early reels.
  • Chasing Amy is my favorite Kevin Smith movie because it's so uncomfortable, and that tension forces the characters to reassess their relationships. Also, no Hollywood ending. Also, Jason Lee is awesome. Also, what's a nubian?