This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Something else interesting. I'm watching Hajime no Ippo, it has no bad guys. Ippo has to fight against all these other boxers, and the show is structured so you always root for him against the opponent. But all the opponents are also good guys. Everyone is an awesome respectable dude with boxing skills. There's no evil boxer like the evil team in Shaolin Soccer. It's all bromance domestic disputes.

What if the story was ALL bad guys? The bad guys win, and always win, because there are so many of them. The good guys are few and weak, if they even exist. However, there can still be an interesting story due to conflict amongst the bad guys.
    Wouldn't quite put it that way. While Mashima has his reason's for the way he behaves and might not be an outright bad guy, he is definitely not a good guy. Then there is Sawamura, a boxer who appears in the manga after the anime concludes, and he definitely is a fucking asshole. Mashima and Sawamura have a fight even later, which is in my opinion one of the best in the series simply because it is bad guy vs. bad guy.

Oh, and in the second season of the anime you will meet one Brian Hawk. Douchebag extraordinaire and card carrying villain. He's however Takamura's opponent and not Ippo's.

You are quite right about Hans Gruber though. One of the best villains in movie history.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • THOR! He hit stuff with a hammer and lightening came out. Enough said.
  • Easy A. Fun film!
  • edited May 2011
    Watched Demolition man because the guys over at FilmSack put out a commentary track for it. Man, that future the film portrays is absolutely retarded.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Man, that future the film is portrays is absolutely retarded.
    Awesome retarded, but yeah, they went full goddamn retard. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Thor was a fun super hero movie that I liked.

Hancock could have been an interesting take on the super hero thing but was kinda assy.
  • I just watched In Bruges. That was pretty good.
  • Man, that future the film is portrays is absolutely retarded.
    Awesome retarded, but yeah, they went full goddamn retard. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Demolition Man is basically the sort of movie I wish would get made more often these days; for a while in the late 80s/early 90s there was a constant flow of quirky sci-fi action, which wasn't taken entirely seriously, that has basically dried up entirely. Between the fact that we don't get much "20 minutes into the future" sci-fi anymore, and this desire to make it look all plausible and shit, I feel like we're missing out on a lot of fun art direction and general sillyness.
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest has given me so much more respect for Jack Nicholson.
  • I started Ghost in the Shell last night, but I struggled to stay awake. I'll try again when I'm less tired.
  • I started Ghost in the Shell last night, but I struggled to stay awake. I'll try again when I'm less tired.
    The original movie? Yeah, it's quite and dark, not exactly going to keep you awake.
    Yea I've had this problem with the Original Ghost in the Shell movie as well. I believe it took me 2 or 3 times to get through it without falling asleep. It's definitely not a movie to watch when tired.
    Yea I've had this problem with the Original Ghost in the Shell movie as well. I believe it took me 2 or 3 times to get through it without falling asleep. It's definitely not a movie to watch when tired.
    In fact, any Mamoru Oshii movie I can think of will be relatively quiet and slow.
  • Cool. I'm just saying I can't think of a single piece of fiction where a truly bad bad guy wins, keeps winning, is happy about it, and can't be beat.
    Have you read 1984? If not, you should!
    "Primal Fear" and "Fallen" to name a few.
    Something else interesting. I'm watching Hajime no Ippo, it has no bad guys. Ippo has to fight against all these other boxers, and the show is structured so you always root for him against the opponent. But all the opponents are also good guys. Everyone is an awesome respectable dude with boxing skills. There's no evil boxer like the evil team in Shaolin Soccer. It's all bromance domestic disputes.

What if the story was ALL bad guys? The bad guys win, and always win, because there are so many of them. The good guys are few and weak, if they even exist. However, there can still be an interesting story due to conflict amongst the bad guys.
    Watch the "New Challenger" series.
  • Im watching Repo The Genetic Opera.
  • Last night, I watched The Illusionist, The French Animated Film. It was really incredible for what it was, had an amazing style, and it really made me fascinated with characters who barely talked but were constantly interacting. The animation itself was gorgeous and fluent, makes me want to see Triples of Belleville now. It was a very bittersweet type of story that reflects on a career that slowly fades out, but it was still great. The only reason I don't love it more, is that it made me feel a little melancholy after watching it, but I still loved it.
  • I just re-watched Die Hard for the first time in like, seven years. That movie is beyond amazing.
  • I..um...actually just got the powerpuff girls 10th anniversary boxset. I remember loving the show and it was nostalgia and kick ass overload since yesterday.

I also forgot they had an actual theatrical movie release.

It wasnt too bad, ill say the animation looked absolutely top notch in its Flash style. Im so used to american animated features as mostly 3D or traditional cell that seeing such a style was quite refreshing.
  • I watched No Strings Attached on the plane ride back from Hawaii yesterday. 'Twas not good.
  • Finished Ghost in the Shell. Enjoyable enough, once I was awake enough to watch it. The most interesting thing about it was just how many shots the Matrix rips off almost EXACTLY!
  • Watched Black Belt Jones last night. I'd say a movie to watch if you've seen Black Dynamite, since part of that movie's DNA comes from Black Belt Jones.
  • Went to see Thor last night, not too bad, but on the whole it wasn't amazing.
  • I saw Thor two nights ago, and was pretty impressed. The movie wasn't "Oscar winning" or anything but they made a Thor movie that didn't suck. That's amazing work in my mind. I truly thought the movie was going to be terrible. It also ended up being funnier then I expected.
  • Finally got around to watching the first Lone Wolf and Cub dvd last night: Sword of Vengeance. Five more to go. I don't see how they can condense a 28 volume manga series into 6 movies, but whatever. It was awesome in that cheesy 70's martial arts movie way.
  • edited May 2011
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is not as good as Curse of the Black Pearl but is much better than the Davy Jones films. Also, I will take Penelope Cruz over Kiera Knightley any day.

EDIT: If you see the movie in 2D, there is a trailer for the Muppets, and that felt like it was worth the price of admission. It's a fantastic trailer.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian and Robin Hood w/ Russel Crow: Both movies started out alright but had a really really bad endings.
  • Robin Hood w/ Russel Crow
    I laughed so hard when they did that Saving Private Ryan near the end. Seriously guys? Seriously?
  • Watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off for the very first time today. Is it bad that I'm bothered by the fact that the film is set in Chicago, but Cameron is wearing a Gordie Howe Red Wings jersey throughout the entire movie?
  • Watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off for the very first time today. Is it bad that I'm bothered by the fact that the film is set in Chicago, but Cameron is wearing a Gordie Howe Red Wings jersey throughout the entire movie?
    Don't be. As a Hawks fan and Chicagoan, I can tell you that there are a fair amount of traitors in our midst. I am excellent friends with a few of them.
    Chicago doesn't have a hockey team worth watching.