This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I didn't cry during Harry Potter, I was actually incredibly glad that it's finally over.
  • I didn't cry during Harry Potter, I was actually incredibly glad that it's finally over.
    Harry Potter reboot.
  • Guess this is what growing up feels like.
    I disagree - I think you start out pretty empty, and then you fill yourself with the world around you. The feeling you get sometimes like that is nothing more than the expansion of the capacity of your vessel.
  • I didn't cry during Harry Potter, but now I just feel empty.
    I know how you feel, we've had Harry Potter for 14 years, so the fact that it's all over is really kind of depressing. I'm calling this period Post-Potter Depression.
  • Guess this is what growing up feels like.
    I disagree - I think you start out pretty empty, and then you fill yourself with the world around you. The feeling you get sometimes like that is nothing more than the expansion of the capacity of your vessel.
    This made me feel better.
    Harry Potter reboot.
  • Saw Homegrown on Netflix, a movie about small time hoods who end up with millions of dollars in pot when their boss is murdered under bizarre circumstances and try to sell it without being killed by the mob. Its also one of those movies where half of Hollywood seems to show up for a bit part (though, since it was made in 1998, a few of the "big stars" in it were pretty much unknown at the time).

The tone is weird; the subject matter is pretty dark, what with the murders and mock executions and gun fights and conspiracies, but then Ted Danson shows up as a hapless Mafia boss from Hawaii and threatens to feed people's balls to a poodle. Hank Azaria and Billy Bob Thorton play somewhat likeable criminal scum bags who seem almost as surprised as we are when they have to occasionally remember that they are sorta-badasses in a harsh world with complicated pasts.

Pretty much everything about the movie is either mediocre, bad or plain dumb but I found Hank Azaria to be likeable and charming in a totally hetro way.
  • Winnie the Pooh is perfect precisely for the fact that it doesn't try anything new. It's done in the same exact style of the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and that is it's biggest strength.
  • I went to watch Harry Potter. I didn't cry, I laugh in many scenes where I wasn't suppose to laugh, I found it very entertaining that I was able to predict what was going to happen even though I have never read the books.
    I mean come on everyone should have known that Snape was a good guy since the very first book.
    It was entertaining, but I sure hope the book was better. I guess I am that way since I have experience better writing and story telling ever since I started reading Tezuka and Urasawa.
    Do not get me wrong it was entertaining but it is kind of over rated. However, I understand it since many people grew up with the series, and I can respect that.
  • It was entertaining, but I sure hope the book was better. I guess I am that way since I have experience better writing and story telling ever since I started reading Tezuka and Urasawa.
    Do not get me wrong it was entertaining but it is kind of over rated. However, I understand it since many people grew up with the series, and I can respect that.
    The books are better, but saying that isn't much. It was terribly difficult for me to get through them at all. I had to listen to them as audio books to get through them at all. I just could not sit there and read them, I had to be doing something else and have it as background. By and large while they may be entertaining they aren't great by any stretch of the imagination. I've got eight or nine series that blow harry out of the water and one of those spends it's first book ripping Lord of the Rings off so hard it's nearly scene for scene for the whole book.

But they are entertaining and it's hard to not let other people's enthusiasm for the story catch you. If they were the first "major" work of literature that I read I'd probably be just as passionate of about it.
  • Attack The Gas Station is one of the silliest films I've seen in a long time. Highly entertaining.
  • Attack The Gas Station is one of the silliest films I've seen in a long time. Highly entertaining.
    Attack only one.
  • I've been meaning to see Network for a while now and tonight, I finally did. It more than lived up to the hype and I really enjoyed it. It's amazing how a movie made in 1976 can still resonate about the problems of today. Great cast, amazing writing, and top-notch cinematography.

• I've been meaning to see Network for a while now and tonight, I finally did. It more than lived up to the hype and I really enjoyed it. It's amazing how a movie made in 1976 can still resonate about the problems of today. Great cast, amazing writing, and top-notch cinematography.
    I love that film, and really should re-watch it again soon. It's really quite visionary.

Over the weekend I watched The Monster X Strikes Back/Attack the G8 Summit. I can't remember now whether it was my spouse or son who summed it up quite accurately as Hetalia vs. Godzilla.
  • Watched Kiss of Death (the one from 1995) yesterday. Had the film in the queue for a while due to Paul Chapman reviewing it about a year ago. However, it was actually a genuinely good movie.
  • Harry Potter was pretty meh.
  • Just saw that HP7-2 last night, and...

the theater was empty. O_o
  • Ip Man 2 lives up to Ip Man 1.
  • Ip Man 2 lives up to Ip Man 1.
    So Chinese Ubermensch uses the power of kick punching to make the world safe for communism? But I kid, Ip Man 1 was cool and I was excited to see Ip Man 2 on Netflix streaming.
  • So Chinese Ubermensch uses the power of kick punching to make the world safe for communism?
    Yeah, I mostly just like seeing him punch people in the face. I hope I never need it, but if I do I'm going to borrow his signature move. Take the other guys head between your knees and punch his face over and over.
  • Just finished Secret of Nihm and now onto Rock a Doodle. Kinda on a Bluth kick.
  • Captain America is the best Marvel movie and definitely one of the best comic movies. Go see it.
  • Captain America is the best Marvel movie and definitely one of the best comic movies. Go see it.
    Is a great Marvel movie (but not the best) and you should see it.
  • Captain America is the best Marvel movie and definitely one of the best comic movies.
    lol no
  • It's up there in terms of best Marvel movie.
    I'm calling bullshit. Iron Man.
    Yeah, Iron Man is up there with it. They are like, the two best, probably.
  • The internet has led me to believe that I'm the only person who felt nothing during Iron Man.
    Yeah, Iron Man is up there with it. They are like, the two best, probably.
    Iron Man was better than Cap by leaps and bounds. I loved Cap, but Iron man was superior.
  • I just watched "The Graduate" on Netflix streaming. It was on the list, and I hadn't seen it. I've only heard good things about it.

I gotta say, WTF. I can understand why people see it as a great movie. There were some amazing shots, especially during the driving scenes, going over the bridge and such. There is also some amazing acting talent on display, especially the mother. What a bitch. Even the minor side-plots were strong like the dormitory landlord who was pissed off. The too well-fitting Simon & Garfunkel music is also fantastic.

That being said, the plot was fucked up. It really made no sense to me. There's a statute of limitations on spoilers since this thing is so old.

This dude is basically a complete loser. Sure, on paper he was a winner when he was in college. Now he has no friends, a horrible personality, no confidence, and spends all his time chilling in the pool. No interesting hobbies, no job, or anything going for him at all. I do like how he runs down the street near the end of the film to remind you he was a track star. The mother gets with him because she doesn't get anything from her husband, and he goes along with it because he has a penis and he has nothing better to do. He meets the daughter, and she is totally awesome, so he falls in love. It all makes sense so far.

From then on it's just crazy. The daughter likes him because.... he's cute and has a fast car? They get along well on one date for a few hours, and that's enough? She finds out that he had an affair with her mother, and she gets over it that quickly? He stalks her in a super creepy way, and it works? I almost want to think that the second part of the movie wasn't what actually happened. Maybe he drowned in the swimming pool and imagined the whole thing. It's what stalkers imagine happening, but what never happens in real life. Was it that the writers were themselves nervous desperate stalker losers who wanted to write a fantasy fulfillment story? Well, I guess they're not losers now if they wrote such a famous movie.

It's one thing to see something where a creepy obsessed dude actually gets the girl for seemingly no reason. For it to be such a critically acclaimed film, that two-hit combo is just kinda fucked up. In the movie I would write, the girl would notice a dude was stalking her, and the cops would take him away for a long time. The end.

The only other thing was in that final scene the shot of their facial expressions on the bus. Where, as the song says, they spoke without speaking. I think perhaps she didn't actually love him, but just wanted did it to piss her mom off and give a big middle finger to everyone else. And while he was crazy in love, he mostly just wanted his future to be "different" like he said at the beginning of the movie. He played by the rules up until graduation, and then broke convention in the only way that his very tiny amount of manliness allowed him to.