This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• to me, stillness is death, and if you're not moving, you're not alive
    So your real objection to the quote is its use of "procrastination". It sounds like, for you, procrastination is something bad in and of itself. For some of us others, procrastination is usually doing something fun instead to delay doing something not fun. I guess this means that, if you are enjoying yourself, you don't consider it procrastination?
  • edited July 2011
    So your real objection to the quote is its use of "procrastination". It sounds like, for you, procrastination is something bad in and of itself. For some of us others, procrastination is usually doing something fun instead to delay doing something not fun. I guess this means that, if you are enjoying yourself, you don't consider it procrastination?
    Not really, no - Procrastination has it's place, as long as you're not wasting that time - after all, procrastination is not inherently time wasted, it's just putting something off or delaying it, it doesn't necessarily have to be doing nothing. If you have to, say, go do project A, and you're procrastinating by doing Project B, that's acceptable, or If you're procrastinating from Activity C, and using that time to plan and prepare for activity C, or think of ways to do it better, that's okay. But just sitting around doing nothing to procrastinate, that's unacceptable.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I think the point of the word procrastination is that you find other things to do instead of doing what needs to be done. It is an active avoidance. Just not doing a job isn't procrastination, it's pure laziness. I put off doing some jobs because I'm enjoying a podcast or audiobook too much, and so I do washing up and cleaning, mindless jobs I can do with my iPod talking to me. That is procrastination. Me not even doing the washing up is laziness.
    Luke - who I'm actually genuinely surprised missed my point - turned his idle procrastination into a career, but does he not also explore the world in his travels, try to see things he has never seen before, and do things he hasn't tried before?
    I didn't miss your point. I was providing a counter example. I procrastinated by juggling, and put off making music. Now I make music to procrastinate from serious juggling training. Which is bad? Neither.

Also I don't try to travel the world and see things I've never seen before. That's just a byproduct of my job. When I take a vacation on my own terms, I go to places I already know and am familiar with. This year I'm either going to return to New York (where I visited last year) or Turkey (where I visited in 2009). I'm not going to either because it is new, but because it is comfortable. Or I might just spend a few extra weeks at home in Berlin.
  • I am pro-crastination.
  • I didn't miss your point. I was providing a counter example.
    My mistake, I apologise.
  • Captain America was awesome, but it needed more shield throwing/shield bouncing off a lot of walls and taking out massive amounts of Hydra soldiers.
  • edited July 2011
    I'm curious: X-Men is Marvel, but I don't think anyone has compared Captain America movie to any of the X-Men movies. Is this just because we're limiting such comparisons to movies featuring the Avengers?

I was personally much more into X-Men than Avengers, and I find my enjoyment of the movies to be similar so far.

EDIT: Also, I really hope a future movie has Nick Fury saying, "I have had it with these motherfucking constrictors on this motherfucking helicarrier."
    Post edited by Byron on
  • I'm curious: X-Men is Marvel, but I don't think anyone has compared Captain America movie to any of the X-Men movies. Is this just because we're limiting such comparisons to movies featuring the Avengers?

I was personally much more into X-Men than Avengers, and I find my enjoyment of the movies to be similar so far.

EDIT: Also, I really hope a future movie has Nick Fury saying, "I have had it with these motherfucking constrictors on this motherfucking helicarrier."
    X-Men is Marvel but it is not part of Marvel Studios but it is of Fox.
  • Captain America was not bad. It wasn't amazing either, but it didn't fall into Spiderman 3 territory. I liked some of the hokey 1940's comic stuff they had going on, and little nods to Marvel fans. I agree with Kate when she said that Steve Rogers is basically the same guy before and after the transformation, and he seems to get over Bucky's death pretty easily. There's no real moral conflict within Captain America, he is who he is without much change.
    The movie felt more like setup for the Avengers movie that anything else. While entertaining, not nearly as 'good' as a movie as Iron Man and Thor were, but also I put it higher up that The Hulk.
  • I agree with Kate when she said that Steve Rogers is basically the same guy before and after the transformation
    Well, that's the whole point. They made a big deal out of saying that the serum magnifies what is already there and so forth - that they needed a good man so that they'd have the best soldier.

I would say that Cap did change, but he changed in an obvious direction: he earned Embodiment points, basically. He was less whiny overall. But yes, his character development was not particularly deep.
    There's no real moral conflict within Captain America
    This is also true. He's sort of a morally boring superhero. He just does the right and heroic thing all the time.

I actually liked this one more than Iron Man 2. I'm a little torn as to whether or not I like it more than Iron Man 1. I think Thor was a better movie from a strict movie standpoint - however, in terms of "comic bookiness," Captain America has trumped them all. A lot of the shots later in the movie - particularly involving the Red Skull, looked like they were ripped straight from a comic.

• "Captain America is a 90 minute trailer for the Captain America movie."
    I felt that way too ^_^
    I felt that way too ^_^
    Yeah, but it was a great trailer.
  • Yeah, but it was a great trailer.
    I didn't say it was a bad trailer ^_^
  • Most of Captain America's character depth comes from the fact that he is someone from the 1940's who was dumped into modern times so he has to adapt to the fact that everyone he has ever known is dead and buried.
  • Most of Captain America's character depth comes from the fact that he is someone from the 1940's who was dumped into modern times so he has to adapt to the fact that everyone he has ever known is dead and buried.
    Yeah, did the movie include the part where he was trapped in ice and then busted out?
  • Yeah, did the movie include the part where he was trapped in ice and then busted out?
    Briefly, most of the film takes place in the 40's.
  • Yeah, did the movie include the part where he was trapped in ice and then busted out?
    Technically yes, though it doesn't show him busting out.
    Briefly, most of the film takes place in the 40's.
    Yeah, did the movie include the part where he was trapped in ice and then busted out?
    Technically yes, though it doesn't show him busting out.
    That actually makes me kinda disappointed. The best part of Captain America is seeing a guy who still has a '40s mindset being dropped 5-7 decades in the future.

If I had made the movie, I would have made the super soldier serum a montage during the opening credits. Then I would have had the opening scene be all action, with Cap literally punching Hitler in the face. Only after Hitler was KO'd would you actually see full on Captain America in his glory. Maybe throw in some homage to the non-circle shield in there somewhere. From that you can probably get cap frozen in ice within the first half hour and spend the next 90-120 minutes post-freezing.
  • edited July 2011
    Then I would have had the opening scene be all action, with Cap literally punching Hitler in the face. Only after Hitler was KO'd would you actually see full on Captain America in his glory. Maybe throw in some homage to the non-circle shield in there somewhere.
    This happens. All the time. There's a lot of punching. And plenty of non-circle shield - the discovery of the vibranium shield is an awesome scene.

I think the post-thaw Cap will come up in the Avengers. This movie really revels in the 40's pulp superhero stuff, which is in and of itself super awesome.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Yeah, the Avengers movie will give you post-thaw Cap. Plus, based on the end-credits preview, plenty of unmitigated awesome in general.
  • Yeah, the Avengers movie will give you post-thaw Cap. Plus, based on the end-credits preview, plenty of unmitigated awesome in general.
    Yeah, but since it's Avengers and not just Cap they can't devote enough time to it. I was hoping for an entire movie that was about coping with time traveling to the future with no way to go back. Plus some punching Hitler in the face so hard his skin comes off and he has to change his name.
  • Plus some punching Hitler in the face so hard his skin comes off and he has to change his name.
    Not quite that, but trust me, there be lots of punching.
  • Not quite that, but trust me, there be lots of punching.
    If it's just punching, I can watch it on Netflix streaming months form now.
  • Yeah, that sounds good. No need to see it in theaters. It's not ground-breaking, but it was a fun movie, and I personally was just glad to get out of the house.
  • Saw Captain America... really really liked it. Looking forward to the Avengers but almost as much as that, I hope they put the Winter Soldier in Captain America 2. I really loved the "pulpy-ness" of Captain America and thought Hydra made a great evil Nazi stand-in. Red Skull rocked and I loved the little montage scenes with the Howlin' Commandos.
  • Saw Harry Potter finally. Sad it is over. Ready for the reboot.
  • Saw Winnie The Pooh. It was exactly what it needed to be.
    Side note: Pooh is an asshole.
  • Saw Winnie The Pooh. It was exactly what it needed to be.
    Side note: Pooh is an asshole.
    Him and that damn (H)oney addiction.
  • Side note: Pooh is an asshole.
    And Eeyore has the best "Bitch Please" face.