This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• edited August 2011
    So, Conan. The new one. Yes, they made a new one.

It was a great movie for spawning an hour-and-a-half discussion about the countless things that they could have done and what would have been awesome.

It's the best movie that wasn't.

EDIT: It did deliver gratuitous swordage and gratuitous tittage, though. I think they got distracted by tits and forgot to make a movie.

Do yourself a favor and just browse some Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo galleries while staring at a slideshow of hot topless women. Throw in some random clips from Hercules</> or Xena; the order doesn't matter at all. It'll be better than this movie.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Watched 3 Movies again...

Winnebago Man: This was a really fascinating film, because it takes such an introspective look at internet fame and how it's entertainment spreads across people. Especially in early times when it was done at VHS tapes. I thought it was incredible during the first third and last third, but middle way through it does kind of sink because of how the Winnebago Man himself changes in view and personality. But at the end, I was really smiling over watching/listening to the whole thing.

The Beaver: I haven't watched many Mel Gibson films, but this movie is just an absolutely incredible performance by him. It's a movie about a man who is quite literarily broken down to the core with crippling depression, and practically takes a split personality in a beaver puppet. It was so enthralling because how the character Mel Gibson played coped with his issues, and yet he was still so messed up. I want to recommend this movie to people, but it's take on mental illness does drift in and out of it becoming too sappy and there's this side-plot with his son, played by Anton Yelchin, which is absolutely unnecessary. It was there for comparison purposes, but...why are we breaking away from the amazing performance by a man with a beaver puppet?

Madea's Big Happy Family: (I wanted to laugh and watch something silly when I saw this) This was not a good movie, but it was a fun movie just because Tyler Perry is great at crafting that snap-back type of humor. He and Cassi Davis steal all of their scenes, just from their bits of humor. But other than that the acting, writing, and drama is really awful and forgettable. It's incredibly maudlin with the drama, but it comes off so badly because there's no build up or lasting consequences with the big decisions. It feels like within this universe, the bad people always get away with their problems unless they are focused on long enough. But I admit, I was laughing really hard at the Madea parts.
  • Finally saw Black Dynamite. 'Twas good. Very good. Me and my group of friends couldn't stop laughing.
  • Alien. Still an amazing movie.
  • Yellowbeard is basically what would happen if the Monty Python crew made a movie with Mel Brooks.
  • Watched 3 Movies again...
    Madea's Big Happy Family: This was not a good movie, is really awful and forgettable. It's incredibly maudlin.
    It is a Tyler Perry movie of course it is awful.
  • Source Code is a pretty awesome movie, so awesome I am gonna buy it on Blu Ray :O
  • I haven't liked a movie as much as I liked Attack the Block in quite a while.
  • Paprika followed by Streets of Fire made for an awesome night.
  • So the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is one of the best movies ever made.
  • Red State, Kevin Smith stepped way out of his comfort zone, and he did it successfully.
  • So, I just watched Dune... That movie is probably the drowsiest movie I have ever seen due to the ethereal mind talk. Otherwise, it was super cool, especially the worms. There is one thing that has been bothering me however. HOW ARE THE WORMS AND THE SPICE RELATED!!!
    Worms are the coolest!
  • edited September 2011
    When the sandtrout (those are larval stage worms, like five-inch roly-polies) are going to mature, they form a bubble underground. Under the right conditions, instead of allowing the trout to mature into Little Makers (juvenile worms), the hollow fills with crimson pre-spice mass and volatile gasses. Upon reaching a set ratio, the gasses spontaneously react and explode, killing all the trout and forming a "spice blow;" that is, an eruption of pre-spice mass to the surface of the desert. On contact with air, the pre-spice mass rapidly oxidizes and converts to the potent spice Melange, which is then harvested by CHOAM and distributed across the galaxy.

That's all from memory.

EDIT: I'm wrong! The trout form cavities for some other reason. The Little Makers leave waste deposits, and these develop fungal growth as they absorb water, which THEN becomes the pre-spice mass. This produces the CO2 responsible for the spice blow, but I forget if/how the trout come into play. I believe they surround the pre-spice mass due to the high water content. Also, the Little Makers are a deep-sand plant-animal hybrid region of the adult worm, not a juvenile growth stage.

EDIT2: I was half-right, the secretions of the trout are responsible for the pre-spice mass, which trout then surround; the PSM is still a fungoid growth on waterlogged trout excretions. The Little Maker is an organ, and definitely NOT a juvenile worm.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Wow...it would have been hard to put that into the movie. I am guessing that is from the book, because they definitively did not say that in the movie.
    By the way, my favorite quote from it was "Look into that place in your mind where you dare not look, and you'll see me there."
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah. Herbert was all about his xenoecology for those books, and filled probably close to a hundred pages over the course of the series on how Arrakis (later, Rakis) and its native creatures functioned.
  • On a desert world, the sand trout and worms also produced oxygen. Handy for the humans who turned up.
  • Leningrad Cowboys Go America is pretty flippin' fantastic.
  • Wow...it would have been hard to put that into the movie. I am guessing that is from the book, because they definitively did not say that in the movie.
    By the way, my favorite quote from it was "Look into that place in your mind where you dare not look, and you'll see me there."
    I picture the old spice guy right now.
    Where'd you watch it?
    Where'd you watch it?
    Found a torrent.
  • Fuck this, I'm just going to suck down as much of the Criterion Collection as possible in the form of torrents and hope no one cares. Then, I'll abscond with it to the UK.
  • Fuck this, I'm just going to suck down as much of the Criterion Collection as possible in the form of torrents and hope no one cares. Then, I'll abscond with it to the UK.
    Hulu Plus has the whole thing.
    Hulu Plus has the whole thing.
    Doesn't Hulu not work outside the US?
  • Just finished "The Social Network" Man, moves like that sorta show how if only we were not watching so much anime/video games in college we could be billionaires right now :-p I kept seeing my friends as characters in that movie (with more frat stuff and partying then in real life :-p)
  • When the sandtrout (those are larval stage worms, like five-inch roly-polies) are going to mature, they form a bubble underground. Under the right conditions, instead of allowing the trout to mature into Little Makers (juvenile worms), the hollow fills with crimson pre-spice mass and volatile gasses. Upon reaching a set ratio, the gasses spontaneously react and explode, killing all the trout and forming a "spice blow;" that is, an eruption of pre-spice mass to the surface of the desert. On contact with air, the pre-spice mass rapidly oxidizes and converts to the potent spice Melange, which is then harvested by CHOAM and distributed across the galaxy.

That's all from memory.

EDIT: I'm wrong! The trout form cavities for some other reason. The Little Makers leave waste deposits, and these develop fungal growth as they absorb water, which THEN becomes the pre-spice mass. This produces the CO2 responsible for the spice blow, but I forget if/how the trout come into play. I believe they surround the pre-spice mass due to the high water content. Also, the Little Makers are a deep-sand plant-animal hybrid region of the adult worm, not a juvenile growth stage.

EDIT2: I was half-right, the secretions of the trout are responsible for the pre-spice mass, which trout then surround; the PSM is still a fungoid growth on waterlogged trout excretions. The Little Maker is an organ, and definitely NOT a juvenile worm.
    Did the books ever bring up the possibility of anybody trying to artificially synthesize spice?
  • Did the books ever bring up the possibility of anybody trying to artificially synthesize spice?
    Yea, spice ends up being made in other ways..... None of which are very good.
  • I thought the one made by water worms was ultra potent?
  • edited September 2011
    I thought the one made by water worms was ultra potent?
    It is, dangerously so. A single dose will take even a potential Kwitsatz Haderach and awake them to a level of prescience wherein they enter an introspective catatonia, constantly examining every possible future. So yeah, not good.

The Bene Tleilax manage to produce spice in axolotl tanks, but when people examine that process...well, it doesn't go so well.
  • I bet I could handle that seaworm spice.
  • I thought the one made by water worms was ultra potent?
    It is, dangerously so. A single dose will take even a potential Kwitsatz Haderach and awake them to a level of prescience wherein they enter an introspective catatonia, constantly examining every possible future. So yeah, not good.
    Which book was that in?