This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Moneyball was amazing. I don't know if my lack of sports knowledge helped or hindered my enjoyment of the movie.
    The book is likewise very cool (I also have no knowledge of baseball).
  • Moneyball was amazing. I don't know if my lack of sports knowledge helped or hindered my enjoyment of the movie.
    The book is likewise very cool (I also have no knowledge of baseball).
    I enjoyed that movie a lot, and I know next to nothing about the formulas/statistics they were using OR baseball. On top of that, I don't even CARE about baseball... but I still thought it was a good movie.
  • So I watched the Green Lantern even tough I had heard from multiple sources that it is bad. In the end I don't think it was the worst thing ever. I liked most of the action scenes and usage of the rings powers. Story was whatever, but at least it didn't feel like 2 hour long introduction to the character, how he became a hero like I have felt with some other super hero movies.
  • Saw Insidious recently. That movie was scary.
  • I saw Drive Angry which was great. Totally nuts. The Cage is pretty subdued for a movie where his character drives donuts through a crowd of Satan worshipers or blows a guy into literal oblivion and drinks beer from his shattered skull but there are no real Cage-outs like you would expect. William Fitchner steals the show anytime he's on screen. Amber Heard plays a pretty awesome tough chick / NOT-love interest (thank god) and while she DOES get kidnapped multiple times, she never stops brutalizing her kidnappers and does most of her own rescuing. The action is solid (while some of the 3D gags are annoying, especially in NOT-3D) and gory and goofy. Check your Cage-haterade at the door and you'll have fun.

I also saw Get Him to the Greek with Jonah Hill, out of his depth record producer / rock star hearder tying to get Russell Brand, reprising his role of douche-bag rocker with a heart of gold Aldous Snow who has decided he'd rather be a junkie than deal with his life (your To Do list only has one item then; "Get Drugs"), to The Greek Theater for his big comeback concert. There is a lot to hate in this movie (the constant barf gags, a heavy reliance on "lol, he's drunk and high as fuck" and the first act seems oddly paced and somewhat unfunny) but once the characters have a chance to grown into the situation there is genuine funny and surprisingly good pathos.
  • I watched Romeo + Juliet starring Leonardo DiCaprio for an English extra credit assignment. The first half was an unendearing, awkward comedy and the second half was a clumsy melodrama involving characters I had come to hate. In contrast with dialogue and plot that were meant for the stage, the cinematography and editing were full of motion blur, closeups, and disorienting jump-cuts. A couple performances were good and the sets looked nice, but beyond that this movie was a complete mess.
  • Saw The Ides of March over the weekend. Great movie, amazing cast, and one of the best political movies I've seen in a very very long time (or ever). I've never been a fan of Ryan Gosling, but he was really good, and you can never go wrong with Clooney, Philip Seymor Hoffman, and Paul Giamatti.
  • The Thing is a pretty awesome movie that ties into John Carpenter's the Thing exceptionally well. It essentially the same movie until the 3rd act, but it still feels very different.
  • Really? I heard The Thing was aweful. Gonna watch Red State soon. It is streaming on the flix.
  • Really? I heard The Thing was aweful.
    I thought it was pretty good. It's not as good as the original remake, but it's entertaining and scary.
  • At the suggestions of a few others I watched Troll Hunter last night. I completely agree. It was better than expected.
  • I watched X-Men: First Class last night. I enjoyed it. However some of the special effects seemed wonky. Whenever Emma went diamond mode it looked strange, as did blue furred Beast (Beast was most likely practical effect, but still looked odd. The other X Men movies pulled him off better). A final note, when we saw all the girls in lingerie at the party..... The first thing that popped in my mind was, "DAMN THESE GIRLS WEAR BIG PANTIES!!!!"
  • Whenever Emma went diamond mode it looked strange
    I just attributed this to January Jones being FUCKING AWFUL.
  • I tried to watch the xmen first class movie on a flight the other week. I got about 5 minutes in and decided it wasn't for me. After watching Thor my expectations for comic book movies went way up, and xmen didn't come close.

Also Battle: LA. Got five minutes into that one too, but had to turn it off.
  • I tried to watch the xmen first class movie on a flight the other week. I got about 5 minutes in and decided it wasn't for me. After watching Thor my expectations for comic book movies went way up, and xmen didn't come close.
    Oh, Luke, the first 5-10 minutes are the weakest part of the money. It gets a lot better.
  • I watched The Other Guys recently, and it was surprisingly funny. Also tried to watch Bridesmaids, but turned it off after 15 minutes and not laughing once. Watched Animal House, a much more entertaining movie, instead.
  • Has anyone seen Attack the Block? I saw a quick trailer, and it looks decent.
    It's awesome, watch it.
    Has anyone seen Attack the Block? I saw a quick trailer, and it looks decent.
    It's awesome, watch it.
    I saw a commercial for it during some internet video on collegehumor or something. Looked like a crappy supernatural Yamakasi ripoff. I say watch Yamakasi instead.
  • I saw a commercial for it during some internet video on collegehumor or something. Looked like a crappy supernatural Yamakasi ripoff. I say watch Yamakasi instead.
    It's not at all like Yamakasi.

Edgar Wright produced it and Nick Frost is in it. Plus, it's only like an hour and fifteen minutes long. Watch it, Wyatt.
  • I saw a commercial for it during some internet video on collegehumor or something. Looked like a crappy supernatural Yamakasi ripoff. I say watch Yamakasi instead.
    It's not at all like Yamakasi.

Edgar Wright produced it and Nick Frost is in it. Plus, it's only like an hour and fifteen minutes long. Watch it, Wyatt.
    I don't listen to Scott. I'll watch it.
  • I don't listen to Scott. I'll watch it.
  • I saw Ides of March last week. It was a pretty good political thriller and worth seeing, but watching it in a theater didn't add anything.
  • edited October 2011
    Edgar Wright produced it and Nick Frost is in it.
    Whoa, I didn't even notice that was Nick Frost.

But yeah, Attack the Block is fantastic. Easily one of my favorite alien films ever.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • I don't listen to Scott. I'll watch it.
    At my job we have a law office that places an order every week day. They are the law offices of Einhorn. I can not help but giggle everytime I fill out their invoice.
  • I just spend Saturday morning watching Big Trouble in Little China. It was hilariously, ridiculously, awesome movie. When I started watching I was expecting a 80s action flick, not Chinese mages riding lightning strikes.

So thanks for Jason for constantly talking about that movie. Wouldn't probably seen it otherwise.
  • Scream is the best serious parody of a horror movie ever made.
  • edited October 2011
    The Green Mile. Very, very good. I'd say the second best movie set in a prison that is directed by Frdnk Darrabont and based on a story by Stephen King.

Tangled. Remarkably average. Looked beautiful but the songs were meh.

EDIT: Tangled was one of those children's movies that doesn't have enough faith in its own story and creative execution to believe it can be entertaining. So it uses many quotes and references from other movies. Great, I guess. But is Independance Day really a good source of quotes? I like ID4, as it was known at the time, but it makes me feel old that no the movies of my youth are the cultural touchstone for "the parent" demographic when taking their children to the movies.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Scream is the best serious parody of a horror movie ever made.
    It's one of the very few horror movies that I actually like, because it uses horror tropes to transcend horror... and it does successfully keep you guessing until the end, despite giving you a lot of clues from the very start. Also, I hate Drew Barrymore, so lots of fun.
  • edited October 2011
    50/50 was the most believable, authentic 'cancer movie' I've ever seen. Moreover, I'd probably be willing to watch it a second time. That's saying something because literally every other cancer movie I've ever seen was unbelievable, depressing, or saccharine. All the characters feel very real. Totally worth seeing.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on