This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC 2010 Investment Shenanigans

Comments

• @lackofcheese: I haven't seen Escaflowne yet, but I'll get to it someday.
  • Ugh. I'm in 21st place now. This stock market is one unpredictable *insert racial expletive*
  • *insert racial expletive*
    Why does it have to be racial?
  • edited January 2010
    Yay, first day where I finished in the black green.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • *insert racial expletive*
    Why does it have to be racial?
    It's a quote from Tokyo Breakfast. The son in the video skit says it.
  • It's a quote from Tokyo Breakfast. The son in the video skit says it.
    Oh mans, I need to dig up that clip again...
  • One of my stocks is finally in the green...

...by $16 (total investment, not per share). I'm calling that a victory.
  • I'm really happy I invested a bit of change into FORD I think today is going to be a good day for them.
  • edited January 2010
    Looks like Timo just got a lesson in who is playing. As was obvious, Netflix had a huge fourth quarter. Their results came out last night after the market closed. I sold immediately and automatically with a limit order this morning when it opened. I'm now VERY WINNING.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Looks like Timo just got a lesson in who is playing.
  • Oh snap. I believe we just got told. I need to restructure my portfolio now.
  • Secret to winning:

Read the news. Buy things which are low and about to spike. Sell after they spike.

All of these would have been good moves yesterday:

Buy trains because Obama is going to give them $$$$.
    Sell Toyota - recall woes

Of course there are also moves that are non-obvious without insider trading:

Who knew Ford was making bank?
    Who knew Nintendo did poorly even though they sold so much?

Stick with the obvious.
  • RymRym
    edited January 2010
    No new products, no news on the horizon? No one's talking about Nintendo. Gaming news is all about Xbox, PS3, and PC games lately. Nintendo has nothing upcoming that will drive anything, and no real prospects on another Wii: they've already filled that ocean for at least half-a-decade to come. They're also close to tapping out the virtual console market.

The Wii's looking more and more paltry with too many "too little, too late" games and updates.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Who knew Nintendo did poorly even though they sold so much?
    No new products, no news on the horizon? No one's talking about Nintendo. Gaming news is all about Xbox, PS3, and PC games lately. Nintendo has nothing upcoming that will drive anything, and no real prospects on another Wii: they've already filled that ocean for at least half-a-decade to come. They're also close to tapping out the virtual console market.

The Wii's looking more and more paltry with too many "too little, too late" games and updates.
    Yes, but you would figure that despite all that, they are still selling a shitton of Wiis, DSes, and games. And Mario Wii probably sold a fuckton. What's weird is that they did have big sales, but decreased profits. Wonder where it went?
  • Looks like Timo just got a lesson in who is playing.
    Sigh... like I said several times before, my comments are not about which stocks to pick, how to pick them, what kind of an investment strategy to follow, or even how often you make trades.

When all of you dorks figure out what I'm talking about there is going to be some serious facepalmery and the obligatory swarm of "oh I knew that, but didn't do it because of /insert lame and fallacious excuse/"-mental ju-jitsu to alleviate cognitive dissonance.

Seriously though, well done Scott! What would you say if I told you that by playing optimally you could have easily made twice as much money?
  • edited January 2010
    Secret to winning:

Read the news. Buy things which are low and about to spike. Sell after they spike.

All of these would have been good moves yesterday:

Buy trains because Obama is going to give them $$$$.
    Sell Toyota - recall woes

Of course there are also moves that are non-obvious without insider trading:

Who knew Ford was making bank?

Stick with the obvious.
    If you notice the stocks I have I pretty much buy 200 of a stock if I feel good news is coming (or a drug is about to get approved by the FDA and no they are not drugs I know about :-p)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Seriously though, well done Scott! What would you say if I told you that by playing optimally you could have easily made twice as much money?
    If you know how to play optimally, how come you don't have twice as much money as me?
  • Seriously though, well done Scott! What would you say if I told you that by playing optimally you could have easily made twice as much money?
    If you know how to play optimally, how come you don't have twice as much money as me?
    Sigh... like I said several times before, my comments are not about which stocks to pick, how to pick them, what kind of an investment strategy to follow, or even how often you make trades.
    Simply because I have made different stock picks than you have, duh! But if you had been playing the game like I do, you'd have made twice as much money :-).
  • Simply because I have made different stock picks than you have, duh! But if you had been playing the game like I do, you'd have made twice as much money :-).
    First of all, you have to take into account that I don't have all day to sit there playing. I have to use a strategy that involves laziness on my part. That means not paying attention to the market most of the day.

Also, if you're so smart, why were all your picks so bad?
  • edited January 2010
    First of all, you have to take into account that I don't have all day to sit there playing. I have to use a strategy that involves laziness on my part. That means not paying attention to the market most of the day.
    Also, if you're so smart, why were all your picks so bad?

On a side note, I'm probably having waaay too much fun just dangling this gnosis in front of you ^_-.

Also this is not really about being smart, it's about RTFM.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Also this is not really about being smart, it's about RTFM.
    I did RTFM. I don't know what you think is some secret. Whoever has the most at the end wins. There is interest, and commissions. It's just a straight up stock market game. You are imagining a gnosis here.
  • Really? So Timo and I have a shared hallucination, do we?
  • Ugh, Ford announces awesome profits, a vision for the future and gaining % of market share and it's stock goes down...
  • Starfox has found the Gnosis! All praise Starfox!
  • All praise Starfox!
  • edited January 2010
    Women cannot be allowed to know the Gnosis! Kate Monster must be purged!
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited January 2010
    Nay she is worthy, I'll vouch for her!

EDIT: Oh wait, you told her!? I thought we had a blood pact!
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited January 2010
    Nay she is worthy, I'll vouch for her!
    I will not stand in your way. Know this, though: you will be held accountable for her actions.
    EDIT: Oh wait, youtoldher!? I thought we had a blood pact!
    I don't know what you're talking about.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on