This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC 2010 Investment Shenanigans

Comments

• edited January 2010
    If you do this I'm quitting the game. Not investing is a perfectly valid strategy. I'll just start a new game, I'll be the administrator. Everyone will join my game, and we'll forget about this one.
    I'm with Scott here. No need for drama at all. If people want to play but are unhappy with the banning of a valid way to play the game (i.e. having your money sit and earn 4% interest), we just start a new game. We can even agree on the settings as a group.

Confirmation w.r.t. interest, from here:
    Your uninvested cash will earn a money market fund interest, which will vary depending on prevailing market conditions. This money market rate is usually around 4-6% and is set by the game creator. Margins will be charged with interest as well, set by the game creator.
    How is it not a valid strategy to just sit there and earn interest? It's not mocking the game, it's just a lack of confidence in the stock market + an unwillingness to sell short because of the excessive risk involved.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Confirmation w.r.t. interest, fromhere:
    Ah, so it does. Thanks.
  • He is closely followed on the board by the Knoxinator and Josh Bytes, who have made no such foolish moves.
    I had fully intended on making some foolish moves on Friday, but I quickly ran out of time, so I made them all just now. We'll see where those lead.
  • And now, Today's market update - Nine quit over the weekend, putting Josh Bytes in the lead. Everything else, refer to above post, because for a reason unknown to me, possibly because I'm really not that bright, the game didn't update at all despite claiming the market was open.
  • Your boss gives you $100,000 to invest and you decide to be clever. "Lots of people lose in the market," you say, "so I'll just avoid losing by sitting on my cash. That will make my boss happy." At the end of the year, the boss calls you to his office and asks what kind of returns you've yielded. "I lost absolutely nothing," you reply. But the boss becomes enraged. He expected a return on his investment. He gave you the money, and now he's lost out of 12 months of opportunity that the $100,000 could have garnered him. The point of the business is to earn! That's what the stockholders want. That's what the investors demand!
    Isn't that like a bible story?
  • Isn't that like a bible story?
    No, because his boss just fired him, instead of Destroying the whole city, and turning his wife into a steak seasoning.
  • If anybody wouldn't mind I need some help. My orders expired? I'm no sure what I did wrong...
  • If anybody wouldn't mind I need some help. My orders expired? I'm no sure what I did wrong...
    I don't think you did anything wrong - for some reason, the game said the market was open, but the game market didn't actually update at all.
    I don't think you did anything wrong - for some reason, the game said the market was open, but the game market didn't actually update at all.
    Yeah all my orders expired too. Piece of crap!
  • edited January 2010
    Isn't that like a bible story?
    Yes, but I was hoping nobody would catch the anti-theist referencing parables. Even a broken clock...?

Also, the reason nothing updated today was because the stock market was closed for Martin Luther King Day.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I'm in 6th place, with only a .04% loss overall. I feel fine.
  • Wait a second, so are you guys starting a new game or not?
  • That hinges on JrdBnta's attitude.

Personally, I'd be much better off if we restarted since I'm currently last by quite a lot ^_~
  • Also, the reason nothing updated today was because the stock market was closed for Martin Luther King Day.
    Derp derp derp I knew I was stupid and missing something. Crazy American public holidays.
  • Seems Timo is doing really well with Apple at the moment.
  • AHA! I have joined! Ph34r!
  • Seems Timo is doing really well with Apple at the moment.
    Tablet rumors FTW!
  • Once again, a lot of people got hit hard.
    Luke Burrage lost a whopping 7.29% today and now I'm not last anymore, while Timo is back under 100k.
  • Once again, a lot of people got hit hard.
    Luke Burrage lost a whopping 7.29% today and now I'm not last anymore, while Timo is back under 100k.
    I took the worst kicking I've had yet today, But I'm optamistic. Might try to offload a few tomorrow, if everything doesn't collapse.
  • If you fuckers make my joke post become reality I'll kill you all.
  • I've been hovering just under the top ten almost the entire time. Mediocrity is what I do, and I do it damn well.
  • Wow, I've managed to lose a lot of virtual money.
  • I looked at my portfolio, and just presumed I'd be in last place. But I'm not! You really DID lose a lot of money, lackofcash.
  • I picked possibly the worst moment in the history of Google stock to invest in the company. Thanks, Larry and Sergey. Thanks a thousand.
  • I'm holding steady at number 11. Pretty cool.
  • Holding steady at 6th.
  • I'm at 2nd. Very cool!
  • It seems that for the moment I'm 3rd last instead of last! w00t!
  • Wow, I just looked through the list of players and there are only three players who actually play this game like a game. Or it's just that the rest didn't pay attention or have never traded in stocks.