This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC 2010 Investment Shenanigans

Comments

• Who?
    You, me and schezar.
  • Wow, I just looked through the list of players and there are only three players who actually play this game like a game. Or it's just that the rest didn't pay attention or have never traded in stocks.
    Actually I pay attention to this everyday, I picked my stocks and I'm sticking with them until I have a good reason to sell them or I hear something that makes me think investing in a new stock would be a good thing.
  • edited January 2010
    Actually I pay attention to this everyday, I picked my stocks and I'm sticking with them until I have a good reason to sell them or I hear something that makes me think investing in a new stock would be a good thing.
    I'm not talking about picking stocks, for which there is no (legal) optimal strategy accessible to the unwashed masses. I'm talking about the improbability of winning a race by driving 60 (or even 100) when your (and everybody else's) car can go 200 ;-).
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I'm not talking about picking stocks, for which there is no (legal) optimal strategy accessible to the unwashed masses. I'm talking about the improbability of winning a race by driving 60 (or even 100) when your (and everybody else's) car can go 200 ;-).
    This isn't an F1 race. It's Le Mans.
  • Seriously. Were I playing, I would expect to make, maybe, five or six more trades in the course of the year from this point.
  • Wow, I just looked through the list of players and there are only three players who actually play this game like a game. Or it's just that the rest didn't pay attention or have never traded in stocks.
    I pay attention, it's just that if I sold anything now, I'd simply make a massive loss, and never get anywhere.
  • Seriously. Were I playing, I would expect to make,maybe, five or six more trades in the course of the year from this point.
    My sentiment as well.
    This isn't an F1 race. It's Le Mans.
    Assuming you mean high risk == F1 and slow but steady returns == LeMans, then investing with a one year timeframe is more like F1 than LeMans if you want to win the game. If this were your own real money it would be exactly opposite and you'd be correct. That's partly why I said no-one but me, lack' and schezar are playing it like a game.

And if you meant frequency of trading, then less trades is indeed correct but also not at all what I was getting at with my speed analogy. I really thought the numbers themselves would have given away what I meant.
  • Seventh place so far, but I think my stocks will take off in Q2 of this year. Latin America is where it's at.
  • And if you meant frequency of trading, then less trades is indeed correct but also not at all what I was getting at with my speed analogy. I really thought the numbers themselves would have given away what I meant.
    Just because someone isn't winning doesn't mean they aren't trying.
  • You, me and schezar.
    I did a bunch of research and picked stocks that I felt will do well over the course of the next year. Is this not playing the game?
  • I did a bunch of research and picked stocks that I felt will do well over the course of the next year. Is this not playing the game?
    No, just like sitting on your capital isn't allowed either.

On that note, anyone past 104.000 yet?
  • edited January 2010
    No
    Why is this an invalid strategy? This is what I would do with real money.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • I did a bunch of research and picked stocks that I felt will do well over the course of the next year. Is this not playing the game?
    Let me ask you this: if you were in a chess tournament and observed that 24 out of 27 players, for some weird reason, weren't using any of their pieces that start out on a black square, would you say that those players were playing chess? Technically they are, but if you are one of the three players who move all their pieces, you are much more likely to win :-).

Now, I'm not going to spell out what exactly my point is because I like having a slight edge :-p, but you can just look at the portfolios of the three players I mentioned and try to figure it out yourself, it's not that difficult.
  • Let me ask you this: if you were in a chess tournament and observed that 24 out of 27 players, for some weird reason, weren't using any of their pieces that start out on a black square, would you say that those players were playing chess? Technically they are, but if you are one of the three players who move all their pieces, you are much more likely to win :-).

Now, I'm not going to spell out what exactly my point is because I like having a slight edge :-p, but you can just look at the portfolios of the three players I mentioned and try to figure it out yourself, it's not that difficult.
    This isn't chess, it is more like benjaku. Sometimes not moving a piece is the best move you can make.
  • This isn't chess, it is more like benjaku. Sometimes not moving a piece is the best move you can make.
    Definitely. I don't think you can say that investing in long term stocks is any worse than day trading, which I have to assume is what you're talking about.
  • Seriously. Were I playing, I would expect to make,maybe, five or six more trades in the course of the year from this point.
    You're not? There's a player named "schezar." I take it that's someone else?
  • This isn't chess, it is more like benjaku. Sometimes not moving a piece is the best move you can make.
    Definitely. I don't think you can say that investing in long term stocks is any worse than day trading, which I have to assume is what you're talking about.
    That's not what I'm talking about.
    Seriously. Were I playing, I would expect to make,maybe, five or six more trades in the course of the year from this point.
    Of course that's not Rym, because he's legally barred from participating.
  • I'm still at 6th. At least I'm consistent.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    Seriously. Were I playing, I would expect to make,maybe, five or six more trades in the course of the year from this point.
    This is unrelated, but I have a question to ask Rym. Where did the handle "schezar" come from?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Of course that's not Rym, because he'slegally barred from participating.
    Ah. Right. That.
  • for some weird reason
    It's called being on the other side of the goddamn planet.
  • So, Rym, if you were playing, would you have acted similarly to schezar?
  • So, Rym, if you were playing, would you have acted similarly to schezar?
    I believe Rym wouldn't be able to answer that question.
  • I believe Rym wouldn't be able to answer that question.
    I don't know, I think it would depend on what level. For example, he could say that he would take a similar approach to how the game is played or not - but not about any specific decisions.
  • I believe Rym wouldn't be able to answer that question.
    I don't know, I think it would depend on what level. For example, he could say that he would take a similar approach to how the game is played or not - but not about any specific decisions.
    Where are the lawyers when you need them?
  • Why would he risk his (apparently quite lucrative) job for the sake of a shitty stock game? Actually, I'm amazed he's said anything beyond recusing himself from the game.
  • for some weird reason
    It's called being on the other side of the goddamn planet.
    Nope, it has nothing to do with that either.

But to correct myself: schezar is no longer on the list of people playing this game optimally (I probably looked at the wrong numbers in his/her portfolio). The current list is me, lackofcheese, Anthony, and Yoshokatana (although the latter two can still improve).
  • This is unrelated, but I have a question to ask Rym. Where did the handle "schezar" come from?
    Escaflowne, one must assume.
  • The current list is me, lackofcheese, Anthony, and Yoshokatana (although the latter two can still improve).
    Oh mans, I'm currently in second place!