This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC 2010 Investment Shenanigans

Comments

• Honesty and fair play on Wall Street? You can't be serious.
    You know what's fascinating? The more open and public the trading is (in certain ways), the more people game and scam it. But if you close it or hide it too much, it's equally gamed and scammed. The middle ground is a fine, fine line.
  • edited January 2010
    Man, FUCK Intel. I should have gone ADM.

EDIT: Actually, ADM dipped pretty swiftly, too.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I enjoy that by not losing AS MUCH I am slowly moving up the ranking :-p
  • RymRym
    edited January 2010
    This thus illustrates the primary principle in investing. Never, ever, ever invest for the short term if you can't afford to lose your entire investment. Even one year is fairly short-term. Small traders can't react quickly enough for their decisions to matter in the long run. If you want them to matter, just invest in an ETF with a similar strategy to what you intend instead of individual stocks.

Also, FYI, limit orders in this game aren't functioning like real limit orders. They appear to be broken.

ALSO, if you want to cheat, choose NASDAQ stocks and look at Google Finance (which is realtime for NASDAQ). The game is 20 minutes delayed, so you'll basically be seeing 20 minutes into the market future all the time.

Never put Market orders in after hours: they won't execute until the open, and the open is volatile and dangerous for small traders.

Also, don't short. Shorting is stupid in almost all cases, and your losses are unlimited.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • That maybe true Rym, but it's totally not as fun if you don't complain and boast daily even though it doesn't really matter. Like today, where the advantage went to the people who didn't play ^_^
  • I thought I was doign badly in 10th place, then I realized there are 19 places. HAHAHA!
  • I'm quite solidly last. I think it would be difficult to displace me at the moment.
  • edited January 2010
    Never, ever, ever invest for the short term if you can't afford to lose your entire investment.
    I just picked stocks that are performing at a solid incline over the past 12 months, and I plan to leave them alone. You shouldn't really give a shit about daily losses, especially with the DOW fluctuating as wildly as it has between bells over the past two years.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I have no idea how this works. This should be interesting.
  • I have no idea how this works. This should be interesting.
    I'm in your boat. I joined not in the hopes of winning, but in the hopes of learning a thing or two about the stock market.
  • Today's in-depth Market update coming before open of trading today, I'm just busy right at this second, but I'll be on it soon.
  • Current Rank ↓
    Nickname
    Nine
    I WON THE STOCK MARKET! GAME OVER! TIME TO PACK. GG GUYS, LOVE YOU TOO! WE SHOULD DO THIS AGAIN SOME TIME, MAYBE LIKE NEXT YEAR. I'LL TRY TO GO EASIER ON YOU FOLKS. DON'T WORRY, I DON'T THINK YOU'RE LOSERS. YOU ALL DID YOUR BEST, IT JUST WASN'T ENOUGH. GG.
  • edited January 2010
    And now, It's time for the week's FRC investment Shenanigans stock report. Not as Awesome as Eljoe0's, but with a 98.3% gain in jokes, and a 100000% gain in arbitrary percentages.

The week's game has closed with a surprise upset, With Nine taking the lead, despite smoking a frankly ludicrous amount of crack cocaine and subsequently forgetting the point of playing a game is to actually play, Instead putting all his considerable intellect into trying to spin his inability to figure out how to invest his money due to chemical impairment into sounding like some sort of advantage. Unfortunately, his Psychological warfare style of play will have no bearing on the final outcome of the game, and he is instead advised to try and effect some actions on the market instead of attempting to psyche out the other players, who are almost universally ignoring him.
    When asked for comment, he simply loudly proclaimed "I'M OLD GREG!" before he stripped off his clothes and threw himself across a freshly polished boardroom table, bowling over a small group of ten very surprised financial advisers.

He is closely followed on the board by the Knoxinator and Josh Bytes, who have made no such foolish moves.

In first place among the players who have taken the bold move of doing, well, anything really, is the plucky young Sonic, posting only a 0.04% loss this week, playing it safe with only three small trades to his name, the largest of which being 20 shares of General Electric.

Following Sonic is Tenhauser, posting a 0.29% loss despite his diverse portfolio serving him so well over most of the week. Despite making Gains on the majority of his stock, His significant though surmountable losses on Goldcorp were joined by a large drop from Goldman Sachs, dropping him back to a surprising second place after his strong performance this week.

Closing out the week in the same place he started it despite market fluctuations throwing him all over the board during the course of most days trading is Churba. Considering that Amazon's attempts at competition with Akamai Technologies, this risky investment has kept him above the middle of the board dispite mid-to-large losses on most of his stock, a $397.80 gain - despite the stock taking a 0.27 cent loss yesterday - bringing his losses down to just 0.34%

Directly behind Churba is Schezar, Playing the long game with a rather safe tech portfolio, posting a loss of 0.39% for the day. His position on the board is somewhat of a surprise, as despite rumors of his extensive market knowledge, he has so far been consistently trailing behind the Village Idiot of the game for a majority the week.

With an almost double loss on Schezar's surprising performance is VHDblood, most of his acquisitions taking large losses for him during the week, driving his daily returns down to negative 0.64%.

With Twenty players, the size of the game has increased quite significantly from it's tiny initial pool of investors competing for the crown of King of all Cosmos Stocks.
    In the Front row crew forum there has been some discussion of the game, including Apreche pointing out that there is nothing to stop players from creating multiple accounts, and stating his intention to do just this, and keep doing so until he won, if this conduct is unable to be prevented. Coincidentally, after this statement and a statement regarding his skepticism of Fairness and honesty on wall street, a new player joined, Anthony Virtuoso, who after spending his entire capital, took a loss of 0.83%.

Despite Apreche's unsurprising amount of confidence in his own ability, he has dropped below the halfway mark of the board, with a loss of 0.91% - However, Players are warned not to discount him yet, as His sole investment, Netflix, will be posting their Fourth Quarter earnings in just under two weeks, and his risky investment may just pay off for him yet.

Many players are starting to put an eye to the long view at the close of the first week, it seems, Some stating their intentions, some not, and others simply preferring to stick to obscuring their thoughts with strange statements, such as Terminus Grover's Familiar sounding battle cry of "I'm in your boat."

As usual, the full leader-board is bellow, as players contemplate the next week's actions over the weekend, waiting for 9:30AM, Monday(New york time), when the silent battle for Fame, Fortune, and Billions of Space-dollars resumes.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I've already bought stock. I just stuck with the default options in my initial buy. I assume it won't take effect until Monday.
  • I've already bought stock. I just stuck with the default options in my initial buy. I assume it won't take effect until Monday.
    Sorry about that - I just saw 0 transactions next to you line, and skipped over it without bothering to look further. Though, the case could be made that you didn't make any trades this week, since it'll take effect next week.
  • It's fine. It looks like my orders are pending anyway.
  • I'm going to have to sell all that Intel stock. Things are not looking good.
  • I'm keeping mine, though I wish I'd bought it at the current price instead.
  • Just a note to guys who have done nothing so far; if you don't start participating when the market opens up next week then I'm going to kick you from the game.
  • Just a note to guys who have done nothing so far; if you don't start participating when the market opens up next week then I'm going to kick you from the game.
    I disagree with this. Not buying shares is basically just betting against the market and accepting a 4% rate of interest. It's a perfectly valid strategy and is within the rules of the game. Not only that, but those without shares are currently winning the game. Kicking them reeks of jealousy.

On the other hand, I can agree with kicking anyone who quits and rejoins (and it's quite tempting to do that in my position, I'll admit) because it breaks the game by offering an unreasonable level of insurance against risk.
  • edited January 2010
    Also, FYI, limit orders in this game aren't functioning like real limit orders. They appear to be broken.
    Can you explain this?
    Also, don't short. Shorting is stupid in almost all cases, and your losses are unlimited.
    They can be limited with a buy stop order, though, right? However, I can see how shorting is generally stupid, because it goes against the overall upward trend of the market and has a poor risk profile.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    I disagree with this. Not buying shares is basically just betting against the market and accepting a 4% rate of interest. It's a perfectly valid strategy and is within the rules of the game. Not only that, but those without shares are currently winning the game.
    The point of a game is to, you know, play the game, and sitting on your ass while everyone goes outside is definitely not playing the game.With this situation, either they lost interest before doing anything, or they're mocking the whole thing by doing nothing. I can understand the first, and am slightly annoyed by the second; I don't care if it's "legitimate", they aren't partaking in the buying and selling of stocks and whatnot which is the whole point of the simulator in the first place.If they don't care anymore, then they can tell me so I can close their accounts. However, if they still haven't done anything by the end of the week then I'll terminate the accounts anyway.
    Kicking them reeks of jealousy
    I laughed long and hard when I read this, just so you know.
  • edited January 2010
    The point of a game is to, you know, play the game, and sitting on your ass while everyone goes outside is definitely not playing the game.With this situation, either they lost interest before doing anything, or they're mocking the whole thing by doing nothing. I can understand the first, and am slightly annoyed by the second; I don't care if it's "legitimate", they aren't partaking in the buying and selling of stocks and whatnot which is the whole point of the simulator in the first place.If they don't care anymore, then they can tell me so I can close their accounts. However, if they still haven't done anything by the end of the week then I'll terminate the accounts anyway.
    If you do this I'm quitting the game. Not investing is a perfectly valid strategy. I'll just start a new game, I'll be the administrator. Everyone will join my game, and we'll forget about this one.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The point of a game is to, you know, play the game, and sitting on your ass while everyone goes outside is definitely not playing the game.With this situation, either they lost interest before doing anything, or they're mocking the whole thing by doing nothing. I can understand the first, and am slightly annoyed by the second; I don't care if it's "legitimate", they aren't partaking in the buying and selling of stocks and whatnot which is the whole point of the simulator in the first place.If they don't care anymore, then they can tell me so I can close their accounts. However, if they still haven't done anything by the end of the week then I'll terminate the accounts anyway.
    Tl;dr: OP is a fag.

I'm out. Goodbye.
  • Hope you guys can beat a 4% interest account, because mine is sitting on it's cash.
  • edited January 2010
    Your boss gives you $100,000 to invest and you decide to be clever. "Lots of people lose in the market," you say, "so I'll just avoid losing by sitting on my cash. That will make my boss happy." At the end of the year, the boss calls you to his office and asks what kind of returns you've yielded. "I lost absolutely nothing," you reply. But the boss becomes enraged. He expected a return on his investment. He gave you the money, and now he's lost out of 12 months of opportunity that the $100,000 could have garnered him. The point of the business is to earn! That's what the stockholders want. That's what the investors demand!
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited January 2010
    Tl;dr: OP is a fag.

I'm out. Goodbye.
    I point out that losing someone who was making a point of attempting to win by not playing - not so great a loss. If you're not letting it be used in the game, taking your ball and going home doesn't really matter shit to anybody.
    Though, that doesn't mean I agree with kicking people out for not playing, but really, if you're not playing, the only statement you make with things like "I quit, Goodbye" is that you're a drama queen. If it was any other reason, you would have just quit, and not made an issue of it.
    Hope you guys can beat a 4% interest account, because mine is sitting on it's cash.
    Don't you have to invest in something in this game, like treasury bills or bonds, To make interest? It does give the rates of interest for credit and debit, but I don't know if you get that for just being there.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • He gave you the money, and now he's lost out of 12 months of opportunity that the $100,000 could have garnered him. The point of the business is to earn! That's what the stockholders want. That's what the investors demand!
    Yeah, but this is a game of personal portfolios. If you want to avoid large risks by saving your money, that's your decision, and you're not answering to anyone but yourself.
  • I point out that losing someone who was making a point of attempting to win by not playing
    Actually, that was not what I was doing. I just was ASLEEP when the market was open the few days I have been signed up, and I wanted to observe what the hell goes on at first anyway, because I know jack shit about the stock market. Making comments about kicking people out who are looking around and trying to get a grasp on shit before fucking themselves over is rather pathetic, and I do not wish to partake in something where the moderator is acting like that bitch.

Please don't make such stupid and baseless conclussions again Churba, you know I never stated that I would sit on my ass the entire year. I had no intention of doing nothing, but neither did I have the intention of dealing with someone as stupid as "PLAY MY WAY OR BE KICKED!", so fuck it.
  • edited January 2010
    Actually, that was not what I was doing. I just was ASLEEP when the market was open the few days I have been signed up, and I wanted to observe what the hell goes on at first anyway, because I know jack shit about the stock market.
    1)You're, what, an hour ahead of me, and roughly share a sleep pattern? So Was I, and I've done decently for most of the week. If I hadn't made a gamble on CRL, I'd be doing even better.
    2)I know jack shit about the stock market - so I went and spent a few minutes reading up on it, and looking at stuff like the motley fool and so on.
    3)Then, Maybe you shouldn't have quit, if you wanted to watch for the first week. And hey, Pulling trolling shit like "Hurr durr I won the stock markets", Yeah, That's really a strong showing that you're there to get a handle on things and play, rather than just hanging out to troll. The whole kicking anyone who doesn't play thing is kinda bullshit, but I don't think he's so unreasonable to kick you if you simply stated your intention to play, even if he did stick to his plan.
    Please don't make such stupid and baseless conclussions again Churba, you know I never stated that I would sit on my ass the entire year. I had no intention of doing nothing, but neither did I have the intention of dealing with someone as stupid as "PLAY MY WAY OR BE KICKED!", so fuck it.
    If you want to really get in someone's face and mess with them because you don't like the way they're running things, you don't wuss out, you beat them at their own game, and THEN you rub it in their face, and I know you know that, and I know you're smart enough to do it with very little effort.
    You're smart enough to know that at least one person would take you to task for that 4chan "OP IS A FAG" shit, because this isn't /tg/, and Grandpa Dreadnought is not putting in an appearance.
    So, I'm thinking my conclusions that it's something else ain't so baseless.
    Post edited by Churba on