This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon Black and White

Comments

• RymRym
    edited May 2010
    I just don't understand why they don't let us make our own trainers. Oh wait, it's Nintendo. That's what they do.
    Behold my trainer, painstakingly constructed to resemble, as accurately as possible given the severe restrictions put in place to prevent just this sort of thing, a penis.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • SO, about the starters, who are really actually the more important part of this reveal...
    The grass starter is too much like Treecko, but I'll pick it anyway. The fire starter is cute, but I will never pick a fire starter out of my loyalty to grass. The water starter kinda creeps me out.
  • I like the little fire pig :D
  • I like the little fire pig :D
    At the very least, I'm doubtful it will turn into ANOTHER Fire/Fighting Pokemon on its 3rd evolution.
  • The water starter kinda creeps me out.
    Why? It's a cute little otter that will probably turn out to be a Water/Ice type.
  • The water starter kinda creeps me out.
    Why? It's a cute little otter that will probably turn out to be a Water/Ice type.
    The eyes...I dunno. It's just got such a blank and soulless expression...
  • edited May 2010
    It has literally the same eyes as probably a hundred other Pokemon, they're just slightly more oval shaped.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • The fire pig is great if that picture is real.
  • edited May 2010
    The only starter I'm lukewarm on is the grass lizard. It's... interesting looking... but it ultimately looks too similar to Treecko. I might want to use both the otter and the pig, though, depending on the quality of any of the new fire Pokemon (or the availability of old fire ones).
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • The only starter I'm lukewarm on is the grass lizard. It's... interesting looking... but it ultimately looks too similar to Treecko.
    It's a grass-type and a reptile. That's the same criteria that every grass starter falls under. I think they're different enough.
  • It's a grass-type and a reptile.
    Yes, but both Bulbasaur and Turtwig were both quadrupedal reptiles, but they still looked completely different. Treecko and Generation V Grass starter definitely look different, but I can not look at the latter and not think about the former.
  • I don't like the look of that water Pokemon. These starters vary the most in design quality which is sorta weird.
  • I have said that every set of starter pokemons have been more ugly than the previous generations, and I think this generation has succeeded to continue the tradition.
  • I have said that every set of starter pokemons have been more ugly than the previous generations, and I think this generation has succeeded to continue the tradition.
    I've always liked at least two of each of the starter Pokemon since Generation II.
  • Yes, but both Bulbasaur and Turtwig were both quadrupedal reptiles, but they still looked completely different. Treecko and Generation V Grass starter definitely look different, but I can not look at the latter and not think about the former.
    I wasn't capable of looking at Turtwig and not thinking of Bulbasaur (or rather, a combination of Bulbasaur and Squirtle) until the games came out. Going by appearance alone, yes, they're incredibly similar. But there's a large chance that it will evolve into things much different from Grovyle and Sceptile. And since secondary types have been popular lately, it'll probably also wind up being part ghost or something.
    Also, the region is apparently called Isshu and it is separated from the other regions and can only be accessed by boat or plane (this was implied by the magazine scan)
    Isn't that the same as every region that isn't named Johto or Kanto? I'm pretty sure they're the only regions that can be accessed without using a boat or a plane.

They could be implying that this region is so seperate from the others that it will only have new Pokemon, but I really can't see that happening. It would be strange without Zubat and Geodude in every single cave and Magikarp and Goldeen at the end of every fishing rod. Not to mention it's extremely unlikely for Nintendo to make a Pokemon game that doesn't have Pikachu (and Pichu and Raichu) in it.

Speaking of Pikachu, what sort of Pikachu knockoff rodent do you suppose we'll get this time? I'm hoping for a jerboa.
  • But there's a large chance that it will evolve into things much different from Grovyle and Sceptile.
    That is ultimately what the whole argument will come down to. You will not be seeing much of the 1st or 2nd stages, so the final evolution will be what everyone cares about.
    And since secondary types have been popular lately, it'll probably also wind up being part ghost or something.
    Judging by the yellow accents on it, I'm guessing electric. That would be an interesting water killing combination.
    Isn't that the same as every region that isn't named Johto or Kanto? I'm pretty sure they're the only regions that can be accessed without using a boat or a plane.
    I'm hoping that because the magazine said they are separated by boat or plane that you will be able to travel to at least one other region.
  • This might be the first game where I don't choose the water pokemon.
    Pearl was the first time I ever picked the water Pokemon.
  • That's the game I almost didn't pick the water pokemon.
    Pearl was the first time I ever picked the water Pokemon.
    You've never replayed the games to see what each starter was like?
  • That's the game I almost didn't pick the water pokemon.
    Speaking of water pokemon, I've always had a question I wanted to ask you Sail. Is your Squirtle avatar ever going to "evolve"?
  • The last time I changed my avatar, a bunch of people objected. I have a Dig-dug avatar that I'd love to use, though.
    1. The last time I changed my avatar, a bunch of people objected. I have a Dig-dug avatar that I'd love to use,though.

Pooka, the Dig-Dug guy, or Frygar?
  • Pooka.
  • Pooka.Fygar
    FTFY
    Here is a better image of the playable characters and some more screenshots. It looks like they did away with the Pokemon following you, which kind of sucks. I really liked that aspect of HG/SS. The areas are a lot more detailed and interesting, though.
  • Not really diggin' the girl playable character's chick-fro or the fact that her shorts have itty bitty wings, but I do like the shoes/vest/wristcuffs. I'm also going to miss the mini pokemon sprite following you, it's a really endearing feature in HG/SS. But overall the redo seems to make the world look a lot more dynamic, so that's certainly improvement.
  • She doesn't really have a chick-fro, it's really just a big pony tail.
  • It's sort of the long-haired girl version of a Jew-fro, though. That ponytail is poofy beyond reason, and I am not a fan. Fro or not.
  • I'm more upset by the fact that the girl's shorts are obviously made from the pelt of some Pokemon.