This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• I think the USA version of Ticket to Ride is probably best for children, as it doesn't have the added complexity of train stations, etc.
  • Had a bit of a argument on regarding rules of the trains stations for Ticket to Ride Europe. So lets say for example I have a route going from City A to City B. The other player has a route going from City B to City C. I place a train station on City C to continue my route. My objective is to go A to B to C. Other player argues that in order for me to do that the train station needs to be on City B not City C. And by placing my train station on City C that I could only go outward from City C back to City B. Hope that makes sense.
  • In order to connect B to C you can place the station on either B OR C. Having a station on a city allows you to piggyback one route in any direction.
  • edited August 2011
    In order to connect B to C you can place the station on either B OR C. Having a station on a city allows you to piggyback one route in any direction.
    Going by this, that's right. Furthermore, you don't need to decide on which one is used until the end of the game.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Also correct. While on the topic of TtR, had anyone played the 1910 USA expansion? It's the only was we'll play the USA map in our house. Included in the expansion is a second deck of route cards that lets you play Mega mode. Here, you pull more route cards at a time and must start the game with 3. There is also a 15-point bonus for whoever completes the most routes, so you have two big bonuses to chase after (most tickets and longest routes) which are often contradictory in the tactics you would use to go about reaching them. Makes USA a lot more interesting. In the standard game we pretty much all play on autopilot but in Mega, we care a bit more about what the other person is doing.
  • edited August 2011
    Thanks guys I knew I was right. The other player kept on insisting that it didn't logically make sense to use his route if I didn't have a train station to push out from. I haven't played 1910 yet. I do like that mechanic of the one who completes the most routes. It seems like you could incorporated it easily on other Ticket to Ride games.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Thanks guys I knew I was right. The other player kept on insisting that it didn't logically make sense to use his route if I didn't have a train station to push out from. I haven't played 1910 yet. I do like that mechanic of the one who completes the most routes. It seems like you could incorporated it easily on other Ticket to Ride games.
    There actually is an almost identical expansion for Europe called 1912, but I haven't played that one yet. I think it just adds all of the same modes to Europe as 1910 does to USA (there is also "classic mode" which does only most routes and eliminated longest train, and "big cities mode" where every route is guaranteed to connect to one of 8 major cities). The reason you need the expansion to add this in is because you mix both decks together so there are enough route cards to account for people completing 10+.
  • I played the Impossible Machine the other day. It's a fun little card game that plays out like a card version of the old PC game The Incredible Machine.
  • I listened to a NPR article about Bananagrams earlier this morning. Just further proves how crazy popular this game is.
  • I listened to a NPR article about Bananagrams earlier this morning. Just further proves how crazy popular this game is.
    I have a double banana for Prime.
  • I have a double banana for Prime.
    OOOOH. I almost bought that too.
    I have a double banana for Prime.
    I've also got a double banana for Prime, but we're not talking about a game here.
  • I've also got a double banana for Prime, but we're not talking about a game here.
  • edited August 2011
    I've also got a double banana for Prime, but we're not talking about a game here.
    I was referring my manhood, which is excited by the prospect of PAX.... and is definitely not for sale.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I was referring my manhood, which is excited by the prospect of PAX.... and is decidedly not for sale.
    Yes, I know you were talking about your penis. :P I'm pretty sure this is some sort of phallic pleasure device called the double banana out there.

I was only being silly.
  • edited August 2011
    I was referring my manhood, which is excited by the prospect of PAX.... and is decidedly not for sale.
    Yes, I know you were talking about your penis. :P I'm pretty sure this is some sort of phallic pleasure device called the double banana out there.

I was only being silly.
    I was being silly AND gross.

This ends with someone creating an actual game that involves the afformentioned double banana.

Edit: Jane Magonigal called, she already has an ARG for that.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited August 2011
    The game pictured here is Quarriors, but that is by no way the standard setup shown in the rules. Instead, the person here has adapted it to fit on a lazy susan. This is a pretty ingenious way to play just about any deckbuilding game it seems. I may have to get one for my dining room table.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • New Dixit just came in stock this week.
    NOOOO!

Now my custom made Dixit box will become obsolete! ; _ ;
  • New Dixit just came in stock this week.
    NOOOO!

Now my custom made Dixit box will become obsolete! ; _ ;
    Alright, I need all 3 Dixits now. I'm assuming that you can combine all 3 into one mega-Dixit?
  • Alright, I need all 3 Dixits now. I'm assuming that you can combine all 3 into one mega-Dixit?
    Yep, and the new box allows you to hold the original and expansion in the third box.
  • Now my custom made Dixit box will become obsolete! ; _ ;
    eBay that shit and make a new one.
  • Now my custom made Dixit box will become obsolete! ; _ ;
    eBay that shit and make a new one.
    right now, before people realize that Dixit Odyssey exists!
  • "Nice move speedy."
  • This game has shot to the top of the BGG hotlist - First non-Dominion game from Donald X. Vaccarino. Of course we won't know whether it's any good until somebody plays it, but it's a trusted designer and a trusted publisher (Queen Games). Looks cool. Long story short is it's a euro-style board game where players have to use cards and special actions to build a castle, while also accounting for randomized terrain that is set up at the beginning of the game.
  • That commercial makes it look so not cutthroat.
  • I played The Penny Arcade Game: Gamers vs. Evil, Food Fight, and Innovation over the weekend.

I really enjoyed the PA Game even though the packaging was a lot larger than needed and had no real organization for the card types like Dominion. The card stock is also thinner than other card stocks which makes it susceptible for wear and tear. Other than that, the game was easy to learn/play as well as the game goes by fast. I like the character/hero combinations. Nothing seemed too overpowered. I also love the cards, especially if your are a PA fan/reader. It's similar and better than Ascension in my opinion. I look forward to seeing expansions to what sorts of bosses and action cards they will come up with. TOUCH WIENERS!

Innovation is a pretty cool game. The learning curve was a bit frustrating at first because it brings several different playing terms that I wasn't accustomed to. After I got used them, the game flowed well. Some of the "dogma/card actions" are crazy and can really screw over your opponents. It was a bit cut throat, which is totally up my alley. I'll have to play a few more games of it to get a better understanding, but definitely happy I bought the game at PAX.

Food Fight is another game by Cryptozoic, creators of Gamers vs. Evil and also a company that took over the WoW TCG. I got it for free from being an Enforcer. The game is fun, however the only drawback I've seen is that in a 6 player game there can be moments where not all the players are involved and can leave some people bored with just watching. Probably best as 4 player game. It has the elements of War and Grimoire/Greed Quest. I also liked the art of the cards as well as the 50's diner style on them. I'll probably play a few more games to see how it goes, but overall I'm happy I didn't pay for the game.null
  • Thanks to the trade I made with Rym, got to play Twilight Struggle over the weekend. It took a couple hours to get the rules down, but once we did the game moved along pretty quickly. The game ended up finishing pretty quickly though (during turn 3 of a possible 10) because I didn't realize my friend was going to get a control victory in Europe before it was too late. To be fair though, he didn't realize it either until he was already 80% of the way there. With the amount of rules, it was easy to gloss over what parts are important for getting points. Now that we know the early game strategy is rush Europe, it shouldn't end so quickly next time.
  • Games Workshop just announced a new self-contained tabletop boardgame called Dreadfleet.