This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• I googled. Sorry. :)

I miss the pre-google world. Asking easy-to-answer questions used to be good for maintaining or kindling a conversation. Now all you're likely to get is lmgtfy.com. :(
    It must be an introvert/extrovert thing. I prefer the world where we try not to ask the simple questions, and instead only talk when we can try to have more meaningful educated conversation.
    For the record, I asked you if Rex was any good because I wanted your specific opinion, and not random ones on BGG. ~_^
    Hey WUB we missed you on the Tekkit server yesterday.

/threadjack

I miss the pre-google world. Asking easy-to-answer questions used to be good for maintaining or kindling a conversation. Now all you're likely to get is lmgtfy.com. :(
    It must be an introvert/extrovert thing. I prefer the world where we try not to ask the simple questions, and instead only talk when we can try to have more meaningful educated conversation.
    For the record, I asked you if Rex was any good because I wanted your specific opinion, and not random ones on BGG. ~_^
    Well I do appreciate you valuing my opinion! If I had actually played Rex myself I definitely would have just given you my judgement rather than shoving you off to BGG.

• On the board game design from Tabletop: Analog Game Deisgn is a free ebook by Greg Costikyan and Drew Davidson and others and is an interesting read.

Conversation is deprecated. Sorry

• edited August 2012
    I googled. Sorry. :)

[comic]

Nonsense! We had card catalogues and interlibrary loans!!

I wonder how many people on this forum have ever even used a card catalogue... *sigh*
    Post edited by muppet on

[comic]

I wonder how many people on this forum have ever even used a card catalogue... *sigh*
    I did in elementary and middle school.
  • edited August 2012
    I googled. Sorry. :)

[comic]

I have. I'm just old enough that they taught use the Dewey decimal system in elementary school. Two words.

Fuck. That.

As a minor thread jack, I observe what my friends, older and younger than me, do when pressed with a question they don't immediately know the answer to. It seems the people about age 35 and older instinctively don't reach for their smart phones. They'll either shrug and forget it or, at best, say they'll look it up later on a proper browser. From ~27-34 will sometimes go for their smart phones and sometimes not. Younger than that seem to go for the phone at all times.

I must be an aberration because if I have access to the interwebs (and I always do with my iPhone) I am going to look up whatever vexes me right then and there.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • I'm 35 and I use my smart phone to answer questions on the spot.

Using Google in place of my memory (as I used to) is superior in that I can speak somewhat legitimately on far more topics, but it worries me that when the internet goes away, analytical skills are all I've got left (rather than knowledge).
  • My Takenoko Champion Status still reins on! I played Jeremy again and won 52-41. I was losing for the first 95% of the game. Then Jeremy ended the game, giving me one last turn. I completed the last card in my hand to give me 8 points by completing 4 4stalk high green bamboo and drew a card that gave me 6 points for my panda already consuming 1 of each color bamboo.

Hahahaha! I am victorious!

Totally bringing this game to PAX.
  • Ro, we were doing a perfectly good job derailing this thread, and now you're trying to talk about board games.

I'm gonna have to get my hands on this Takenoko.
  • I really want to try Eclipse... buying a $100 board game without trying it is kind of a crap shoot.
  • edited August 2012
    I really want to try Eclipse... buying a $100 board game without trying it is kind of a crap shoot.
    I like it but not $100 like it more like $60 like.

I am thinking about getting some new games since I know have money to spend, thinking of Catan across America, Robo Rally, or Founding Fathers.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • edited August 2012
    There's a VASSAL module for Eclipse if you want to try before you buy. VASSAL can be a bit jank, but it shouldn't be too big an issue.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • There's a VASSAL module for Eclipse if you want to try before you buy. VASSAL can be a bit jank, but it shouldn't be too big an issue

Vassal is 1000% JANK. It will take all the convincing power to get me to try it again.
  • There's a VASSAL module for Eclipse if you want to try before you buy. VASSAL can be a bit jank, but it shouldn't be too big an issue

Vassal is 1000% JANK. It will take all the convincing power to get me to try it again.
    The most recent patch will give you a blowjob for every game of Caylus you win.

• Theres also the iOS Eclipse coming out... some day..
  • Played two games of Navegador. The first game we were all just learning to play and trying to figure out how the mechanics and strategies worked. The second game things really seemed to come together and I loved it.

I'm a real big fan of Imperial 2030, so another Rondel, diceless, no-luck game, but involving commerce, is right up my alley. Can't wait to play it again!

Roll20 is adding boardgame support. I think they have it set up right now for Catan, but if you had the cards and the dedication, you could make a situation for any game.
  • Had Jeremy's birthday extravaganza of board gaming this weekend. Lots of games.

One of the new games I played was Alien Frontiers. We played with the expansion. Apparently it's best you get the expansion because the base had some really funky looking chits, plus the expansion comes out with some interesting faction cards.

It's a lot like Kingsburg where you roll dice to claim certain areas to either buy resources or claim colonies. I'd definitely play it again, but I wouldn't buy it.

Also played Gubs. I got it for free as an Enforcer. It's a simple Game Wright game that I would categorize as a line playing game or just bust out to kill time game.
  • I love Alien Frontiers, to the point that I've moved Kingsburg over to my "for trade" list. Haven't tried the expansion yet though.

Interesting anecdote about Alien Frontiers is that it's the original board gamer Kickstarter success. They were the first project over 2 years ago to rake in serious dough. Once they went and made a good game with it, they proved the model for the board game consumers, and it's been madness ever since.
  • Alright, guys. Cosmic Encounter. If I can only buy ONE expansion for this weekend, which one should I get first?
  • They all add a player, I only have one of the expansion, I don't believe you can go terribly wrong, just check the reviews on Board game geek. Cosmic Encounters is one of my fav games!
  • Just bought Small World and played it with a bunch of friends, it's probably one of my favorite games next to Tigris and Euphrates. Lost by 3 points but difference between everyone was really slim, felt pretty good to play with people who are serious.
  • I'm convinced that the computer on the Steam version of Ticket to Ride is a big stupid-head cheater. I've played exactly two 5-player games so far against 4 computers, and both times they took the last 6-space track that I needed for a coast to coast ticket on the same turn that I had collected enough cards to finish it.

*Anger and rage and whatnot.*
  • I've never placed lower than second playing the computer over four or so games. If it cheats, it sucks at it.
  • My problem with eclipse is that I just don't have enough time (and people with time) to play enough. I think I've only played ~8 games at this point.
  • edited August 2012
    My problem with tabletop gamingis that I just don't have enough time (and people with time) to play ever.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • I have a regular D&D group and once a month "game nights" where I invite everyone ever over. But neither of those are conducive to gaining a high level of mastery with any one particular board game.
  • OK, without handwaving about "today's society", can anybody explain WHY nobody has time to play a fucking board game anymore? Is it really that nobody has time, or is it that everyone has wildly disparate "rhythms" to their life due largely in part to the isolation brought about by socializing primarily via the internet?