This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• Quarriors: like the idea, but like Dominion (and kinda magnified by extra randomness) you can get some less fun supply sets. Still defs worth playing and ill gladly play more.
    Curious to know whether you played with the original rules, or the new "can buy two dice per turn, must cull a die in order to score points with it" rules, which I think make for a much better game.

I don't think we played by those rules, but I'd try it again possibly corrected.

• I'm looking for a party game that's fairly simple and supports at least ten or so people. We already have Cards Against Humanity, and I'm looking for something else that can be played with floor mates. Suggestions?
    Formula D can be played with up to 10 players. So can A Touch of Evil if you have any of the expansion characters.
  • I'm looking for a party game that's fairly simple and supports at least ten or so people. We already have Cards Against Humanity, and I'm looking for something else that can be played with floor mates. Suggestions?
    I got Saboteur recently but havent had a chance to play it yet. With the expansion it supports up to 13 people, or 10 without. It seems pretty good, its a fast playing path building kind of game (place cards to dig yourself to the treasure) with hidden roles.

The expansion seems like it might make it a little arbitrarily complicated though. But its also cheap so hey
  • So I had no idea possession wasn't even an attack card. So it bypasses certain reactions and lighthouse. Uber annoyed to find that out.
  • edited September 2012
    Played Puerto Rico for the first time this weekend. There were four of us, all noobs. I won, after building two large buildings (residence and city hall) and shipping fewer goods than anyone else. Whatever, I'm just enjoying my fantastic mansion and my pile of VPs over here.
    Post edited by pence on
  • Cash 'n' Guns is good, but only plays up to seven (with the expansion, which I think is necessary for maximum fun). I'm also a big fan of Bang!, but people tend to be mixed on it.
    Which expansion is good to get with this game?

• The Yakuza one is pretty hpye.
  • I've only played with Yakuza, which I really like, but it seems like Live would be more bang for your buck, because it supports more people.
  • I've only played with Yakuza, which I really like
    I just pictured you in a backroom of a smokey hostess club playing board games with a bunch of burly men with their shirts off proudly displaying fullback tattoos.

• I've only played with Yakuza, which I really like
    I just pictured you in a backroom of a smokey hostess club playing board games with a bunch of burly men with their shirts off proudly displaying fullback tattoos.

Greg doesn't play games that ante anything less than a finger.
  • My copy of Tichu came in the mail >.>
  • It's a solid trick taking card game. Some here will bitch because nothing prevents you from saying whats in your hand to your partner but regular humans who don't attempt to play only perfect games like it!
  • 12 hour Board Gaming on Saturday, hellz yea. Who wants in?
  • It's a solid trick taking card game. Some here will bitch because nothing prevents you from saying whats in your hand to your partner but regular humans who don't attempt to play only perfect games like it!
    So can I hint at what's in my hand at all? Is it against the rules to talk during the game?

• So can I hint at what's in my hand at all? Is it against the rules to talk during the game?
    If a hypothetical game were to say in the rules the following. "You cannot so anything that would reveal the contentse of your hand, or imply anything about it, excluding actions the rules explicitly allow you to take." Wouldn't that mean that hinting and talking is forbidden? Wouldn't that be a non-arbitrary rule?
  • RymRym
    edited October 2012
    So can I hint at what's in my hand at all? Is it against the rules to talk during the game?
    If a hypothetical game were to say in the rules the following. "You cannot so anything that would reveal the contentse of your hand, or imply anything about it, excluding actions the rules explicitly allow you to take." Wouldn't that mean that hinting and talking is forbidden? Wouldn't that be a non-arbitrary rule?
    So can I talk about other things in the game but my hand? Can I talk about non-game things during the game? Or is the game played silently.

"Man, isn't Archer a great show? Lana certainly has BIG HANDS!"
    Post edited by Rym on
  • So can I hint at what's in my hand at all? Is it against the rules to talk during the game?
    So can I talk about other things in the game but my hand? Can I talk about non-game things during the game? Or is the game played silently.

"Man, isn't Archer a great show? Lana certainly has BIG HANDS!"
    Rym you are correct technically you can let your partner know what cards you have in your hand. However it is the DUMBEST thing you can do in this game. As an opposing team I can simply not play the cards that you want to play. For example lets say you have a run of 7. There is no chance in hell I am going to do a run of 7, I may do a run of 5 to break up your run of 7 and make it that much harder for you to go out. Or if you wait to gain control to play that run I will utterly deny any chance you can get from getting control.

For n00bs it will work, for advance players they will destroy you.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2012
    So the game comes down to Bridge/Euchre-style signaling systems. It's just baby Whist?

There's a reason I don't actually play games like Euchre anymore.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • So the game comes down to Bridge/Euchre-style signaling systems. It's just baby Whist?

There's a reason I don't actually play games like Euchre anymore.
    Actually that is for 4 players, if we go 5-10 players then it is a card counting game.

• Since my NYCC plans fell though I got board game auction next weekend, anyone interested in me bidding for them?
  • "Man, isn't Archer a great show? Lana certainly has BIG HANDS!"
    That is breaking my rule, since you're implying things about your hand. You could argue that you could do it subtly enough to where the other players wouldn't notice, but that doesn't change the fact that you are breaking the rules, and thus cheating.
  • And I take great umbrage with games that cannot withstand simple conversation among the players. It's a conflict of interest, and in my opinion a weakness.
  • Much as I hate dickholes who exploit loopholes in games, I gotta kinda side with Rym on this particular thing.
  • Looks like this thread has quieted down a little.

Just got a pay-rise, and im looking to invest in some new sweet games. Does anyone have any recommendation to really good games that has been released in the last 2 years or so worth spending my precious pounds on?

Just got a pay-rise, and im looking to invest in some new sweet games. Does anyone have any recommendation to really good games that has been released in the last 2 years or so worth spending my precious pounds on?
    Eclipse
  • If you can get five consistent players for a couple sessions, Risk Legacy is interesting at the very least.

Eclipse
    This!
  • edited October 2012
    The last two years have been very good for gamers, last year especially. What type of games do you like? Fast casual? Deep Euro? 4+ hour dudes-on-a-map? Miniatures? Card games? At least shout out some games that you've enjoyed in the past and you'll get some recommendations on where to move from there.

Anyways.

Played a shit-ton of board games this weekend but mostly all casual stuff b/c we had couples over two different times. Revealed a few earlier Kickstarter games to be duds (Diceafari, Super Showdown), and some simple dice games to be way more fun than expected (Doodle Dice, Ligretto Dice). Played some average silly card games (Kittens In a Blender, We Didn't Playtest This At All).

Also played some lame games. Tried The Big Fat Tomato Game from Gamewright, who had a knack for developing kid's card games that have all-ages appeal. This one stunk though. Stick with Gubs if you want to play a light card game with kids. Morphology is $10,000 Pyramid but instead of talking, you create a model out of random objects, string, dowels, cubes, etc. Cool concept but got boring.

Wits & Wagers does great things with the tired trivia game genre, but it not recommended with 4 people (the manual says best with 6+, but box says 4 players and up).

Incan Gold is a classic for big groups. Can't go wrong. Timeline also turned out to be a ton of fun. You guess when things were invented/discovered in relation to things that have already been played to the table. Very fun to laugh and try to work out the thought process when people are way off the mark. Could get old quickly as people start to remember all of the dates, as we got through the whole deck in 2 games.

Post edited by Matt on

Eclipse
    This!
    Always Eclipse. The new expansion is so dope.

• edited October 2012
    Eclipse
    I asked about this in the store this weekend. It's coming back for a third printing, so you might want to wait unless you want to pay heinous eBay prices.
    Post edited by pence on