This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• Not sure. What is in the expansion?
  • Not sure. What is in the expansion?
    Did everyone have a role card to act as a bonus ability to find out who each other person was?
  • Nope. The bonus cards were given out each turn by the leader.
  • Thank you Luke for confirming that Resistance is a far superior game to any of the many iterations of werewolf/mafia. No player elimination and a constant stream of interesting decisions due to plot cards but Resistance way over the top.

• I've heard much about resistance being the not-crap Mafia. I'll definitely play it next chance I get. However, I'm also still interested in playing "real" mafia.
  • This good because I just did that kickstarter and I'm getting all the versions of Resistance with it apparently.
  • Ooo I was tempted to do the Kickstarter for Coup, but have been backing a bit too much lately. I honestly don't know too much about that particular game, but all of my trusted people rave about it. Coup has been very hot with people who had a chance to play it based on Essen copies, but once it hits wide distribution, it will be another huge hit if it lives up to the hype.
  • You can play Coup with a deck of regular playing cards and some poker chips (K = Duke, Q = Contessa etc.), that's how I've played it. I like it a lot.
  • It's official: Lang-Guini > Cards against Humanity when it comes to the apples to apples genre of party game.
  • Except that I can't find where the fuck I can buy it! It looks like they've only distributed it through their kickstarter, and not to everyone else.
  • Except that I can't find where the fuck I can buy it! It looks like they've only distributed it through their kickstarter, and not to everyone else.
    Tiki Tiki Games. Call them and ask to buy one, they have been working on an online store for a bit but be happy to take a phone order.
  • I'm sorry, is it 1997 again and no one told me? I have to order by phone? This shit feels surreal.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm sorry, is it 1997 again and no one told me? I have to order by phone? This shit feels surreal.
    I concur, I told them to get with the times, but with working GDC, E3, and TooManyGames they have been a tad busy as of late.

If you want the next time I am over there I can pick you up a copy.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • It appears that I now own the expansion for the Lupin the 3rd board game.
  • Bought Eclipse for iPad.

Damn, there's a lot to keep track of, and the tutorial is kind of useless as an introduction. Taking a break to actually go read the rules was a far better use of my time.

Won my first game: me versus a peaceful AI and a normal AI.
  • I usually play Mage Knight as a solo game, but I had two friends over last night and we played with the expansion as a three-player co-op game. Having a big tough guy stomping around the map and working together to take down his army made for an entertaining evening.
  • So you play it like Ogre?
  • So far, I can only win Eclipse against two AIs if 1. I find some crazy ancient engine parts, 2. I dump a ton of points into research, and 3. I go on a crazy killing spree with my now-badass ships.
  • So far, I can only win Eclipse against two AIs if 1. I find some crazy ancient engine parts, 2. I dump a ton of points into research, and 3. I go on a crazy killing spree with my now-badass ships.
    What is worth victory points in Eclipse?

Conquering more hexes
    Researching a ton of tech
    Building orbitals and monoliths (requires researching a ton of tech first)
    Winning Battles

Yes, you can only get more victory points than other people if you get more science or more killing than them. You can do this without the crazy ancient engine part luck. You just have to look at what ship customizations your opponents have built, and customize your ship to be the rock to their scissors. If they go with stronger weapons, you need hull. If they go with more weapons, you need shields. If they go hull, you need stronger weapons and computers to make sure they hit. Also, missiles are amazing.
  • To be pedantic, orbitals don't grant VP.

The first thing to learn, IMHO, is early ship builds. If human, get 8 materials together by turn 2 or if that's not going your way 3. Use your base interceptor and dreadnaught, upgrade the blank spot on both ships with a single hull (improved if you could snag it) and attack a single ancient immediately.
  • You're right on the orbitals. I haven't played since MAGFest.
  • Speaking of iOS Eclipse... I read somewhere that they got one of the rules pretty wrong. In the iOS version, you collect resources from colonized planets BEFORE you have to balance your budget. I don't remember the physical game rules well enough, but supposedly that order is reversed, and you should not be able to collect resources from a sector you are un-influencing during upkeep.

Overextending your influence seems like a much more viable and powerful tactic in the iOS version then I remember from the few times I've played the physical game. Don't really recall though, maybe I just wasn't playing it right ahah.
  • If that is the case, the rule is definitely wrong.
  • It's more nuanced than that. If you have to abandon a sector, you won't get any Materials or Science from that sector that turn - but you still get the Economy.

Definitely a game-changer.
  • It's more nuanced than that. If you have to abandon a sector, you won't get any Materials or Science from that sector that turn - but you still get the Economy.

Yeah, the whole point of abandoning is that you lose the economy, but your economic price is lower since you are using less influence.

Ahh, ok. I'm decently sure you get to keep everything in the iOS version, cause I got stomped once by a bot who kept expanding and retracting influence like crazy, and he had an absolute ton of Materials and huge fleet. It wasn't making sense to me how he was going so incredibly broke every round but still pulling ahead. Maybe I was just playing bad though?
  • Quote from Ecilpse rulebook page 24. Emphasis mine.

The Money Storage Marker may not move
    below zero; if that would happen, you must trade other Re­
    sources (Science and Materials) for Money, or give up control of some of your sectors by removing Influence Discs
    from the hexes and returning them on your Influence Track
    until the Influence Cost is small enough. All Population
    Cubes from these hexes are moved to their respective Pop­
    ulation tracks on your Player Board. Cubes from gray (wild)
    squares may go on any track, and cubes from Orbitals may
    go to either the Money or Science track. Note that if you
    have to return Money cubes from the hex, they return to
    the Money Population track, reducing the Income as well
  • Question: Orbitals and monoliths stick around on the hex they were created. Can you take over someone else's structures if you win the hex? I'm assuming so...
  • edited June 2013
    Question: Orbitals and monoliths stick around on the hex they were created. Can you take over someone else's structures if you win the hex? I'm assuming so...
    Yes. Whoever influences the hex uses the orbital and scores points for the monolith. Doesn't matter if they took it by force, or (re)claimed abandoned ones.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Oh ok, gaining income from de-influenced sectors is a known bug that they're fixing whenever they release the first patch. So yeah, that's definitely how the game works at the moment. There's not much reason to not expand like crazy.