This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm Coming to New York!

Comments

• Holy fucking traffic. I'll still make it to Think but my attendance at this meal is getting less likely with every minute that my speedometer doesn't move
  • So are we meeting at 6pm at the pizza place? I think that makes most sense.
  • I'm hanging out at the Flatiron building (Broadway and 23rd), if anyone wants to drop by. Free wifi and tables outside.
  • I can meet at 6:30. I'm super starving, but I need to finish up some stuff at work first.
  • I'll meet at Think later tonight, I still have work.
  • I can meet at 6:30. I'm super starving, but I need to finish up some stuff at work first.
    Sorry we are all bailing, Luke! I'm just pulling into the city now so heading straight to Think as well. The speedometer, it did not move.

• Alright, leaving work now. I should be at the Flatiron in about 10 minutes. I'm wearing a pink shirt and have unkempt hair.
  • edited September 2012
    I'm having terrible luck with cabs today. Want to do pizza some other time, and just meet at Think Coffee?

EDIT: I'm at Think Coffee now.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I'll be there at about 8.
  • You guys suck.
  • You guys suck.
    This is hilariously more organized than anything I've ever had to deal with, re: FRCF members in real life.

If anyone shows up other than you, call it a success.
  • I'm not showing up at all! I REALLY suck. Apparently when you tell your wife you will get into the city around 5:30, go out to dinner, then she will head home afterwards, you still have to take your wife out to dinner if you sat in 90 minutes of the worst near standstill traffic of your life.
  • You guys suck.
    This is hilariously more organized than anything I've ever had to deal with, re: FRCF members in real life.

You're one to talk. You totally flaked on the MA Gaming with Magnusrex and Ikatono.
  • You guys suck.

You're one to talk. You totally flaked on the MA Gaming with Magnusrex and Ikatono.
    To be fair, I did say Sundays were a hard day for me to get in to the city. First train wasn't until half an hour after things started. :P
  • edited September 2012
    Tonight was fun! I won 7 Wonders (first time playing), and lost repeatedly at Spot It. And also Alhambra(?). Still, we had a good turnout, and I finally got to meet Luke and Schnevets in real life!
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I had fun too. All three games I played were pretty social. Alhambra, a game I thought I'd played before but hadn't, is simple but fun. I tried a tactic which turned out to be remarkably average in terms of effectiveness.

Second up was Spot It. I presumed, because I'm pretty good at Set, that I'd also do well in this one. The first game was a pointy finger round (name?) which I joint won with Rym but lost to him in the final. The next game was the hold in hand game, which even after three times explained to me, I wasn't sure of the rules. I'd never even seen it played before. I lost that first round, inevitably, but then rocked into joint second place, only losing one round after the first round I ever played. Emily and I even got a card each as a penalty for me cheating twice, and we still came in ahead.

Then Dixit, in which I discovered the real power of in-jokes and unknowable references.
  • My first time playing 7 Wonders as well (went strong for science but not enough in the end (denied)..), and it was a relaxing game after having played Spot It for the first time, which looking back made me just all shaky for some reason - though it was a blast.

Was good to meet you Luke. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
  • My first time playing 7 Wonders as well (went strong for science but not enough in the end (denied)..), and it was a relaxing game after having played Spot It for the first time, which looking back made me just all shaky for some reason - though it was a blast.

Was good to meet you Luke. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
    So you WERE a forumite! I was wondering that all night...

I feel like I should apologize for some of my own squealing and shouting during Double Fist Spot It. I opted for coffee instead of beer when I arrived at Think. I don't regret that decision, but I was playing Spot It at the height of my caffeine upswing.
  • Luke could not contain himself at Spot It and kept saying things on my cards out loud. He was trying to be helpful, heeheehee.
  • Change of pizza plans! I bought a ticket for the US Open final for Monday afternoon. It starts at 4pm, so I'm guessing it won't finish until after 7.30, which was when we planned to meet. How about we meet at 8.30 instead? That should give me enough time to get over there. I guess.
  • Assuming that is the Men's Final, a) that is awesome b) in the Aussie Open semi final earlier in the year the Djokoviv vs Murray went on for nearly 5 hours.
  • Fortunately, the US Open still has tiebreaks on the final set.
  • Only one set in that semi went to a tie breaker and the last set finished 7-5 so wouldn't have gone to one anyway. That said it could easily be over in 3 hours, got to love a sport without a time limit. Although having a tiebreaker in the final set is abit shit.
  • Oof... looks like 8:30 isn't going to work for me unfortunately... enjoy your pizza, everyone!
  • Just for the sake of decorum, I'll expose myself as the awesome redhead in the vest that played Spot It and Alhambra with any of you dudes who showed up at ThinkCoffee. ;) Sometimes I say things here.
  • I was the guy who failed hilariously at getting Nelson a grilled cheese sandwich and then lost at my first run of 7 Wonders. I think most of you had met me previously.
  • I'm the guy that wasn't there at all. I'm ~2,000 miles away.
  • I'm also the guy that wasn't there at all. I'm ~9600 miles away.
  • I'm other the guy that wasn't there at all. I'm ~24,500 miles away, if you go the wrong way.