This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things You Never Expected to Hear Yourself Say

Comments

• Himself. Didn't you know, Scott is everywhere and nowhere?
  • "I was just as much of a threat before and after he touched my junk."
  • I'm switching back to Windows from Mac...
  • Nimu nimu nimu nimu nimu nimu nimu nimu nimu nimu nimu.
  • I'm switching back to Windows from Mac...
    I switched back to Windows from Linux so I can run Adobe software...
  • Also:

I paid real dollars for Adobe Audition.
    I don't really need this old computer hardware anymore.
    Eh, the CAS latency doesn't really matter: RAM is RAM.
    Just install everything to the default location with the default settings.
  • I don't really need this old computer hardware anymore.
    Eh, the CAS latency doesn't really matter: RAM is RAM.
    Just install everything to the default location with the default settings.
    Said the extra same things.
  • It sounds like a cassette tape stuck in a blender.
    PERFECT! :D
    What are you referring to with this?
  • "I think I've read enough SCP for one night."
  • edited February 2012
    It sounds like a cassette tape stuck in a blender.
    What are you referring to with this?
    I preface this with: My roommate was passive-aggressively internet-bitching about my listening to music "too loud", without bothering to ask me to turn it down or actually let me know as it was going on, so last night I decided to find the most incredibly annoying club-sounding bullshit I could find. And then I remembered she HATES Nicki Minaj with a burning passion, and then a friend suggested dubstep, so I found this torturous creation:

Post edited by Anrild on
  • Whelp, looks like I'm a lesbian now.
    According to our friends, so am I. ^_~
    So says the girl who's in an open relationship with one of our female friends. ^_~

So says the girl who's in an open relationship with one of our female friends. ^_~
    Hey now, don't be jealous I got into her pants first. ~_^
  • "I'm going to be a parent."
  • "I'm going to be a parent."
    Congrats!

• I preface this with: My roommate was passive-aggressively internet-bitching about my listening to music "too loud", without bothering to ask me to turn it down or actually let me know as it was going on, so last night I decided to find the most incredibly annoying club-sounding bullshit I could find. And then I remembered she HATES Nicki Minaj with a burning passion, and then a friend suggested dubstep, so I found this torturous creation:
    The non-remixed track is one I played for my girlfriend as an example of how I'm getting old, and don't recognize the names of new pop artists (I only knew Minaj existed after I saw a tweet about her at the Grammy's), and how new pop music makes me think "Kids these days with their music, it just sounds like noise!" So far I've not made to the end of the first chorus of this video:

But that remix track? I just listened to it twice.

• 100 hp seems like enough.
  • 100 hp seems like enough.
    Who are you and what have you done with our George?

• "I have seen way too many vaginas today and none of them were remotely sexy."

CONTEXT: I was in the cadaver lab working on genitourinary stuff. Unshaven, all of them.
  • edited March 2012
    You're on Autopsy rotation? My sis has been in the autopsy lab doing her pathology work for the past half year. It's pretty grueling. I think it makes one kind of sad.
    Also, kind of disrespectful, what you said. I mean, everyone has their way of dealing with cadaver work, but that's just not nice.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited March 2012
    You're on Autopsy rotation? My sis has been in the autopsy lab doing her pathology work for the past half year. It's pretty grueling. I think it makes one kind of sad.
    Also, kind of disrespectful, what you said. I mean, everyone has their way of dealing, but that's just not nice.
    I'm doing a cadaveric anatomy course right now. Different from autopsy rotation (no prosection or dissection involved, just disembodied...parts), but still lots of human matter hanging around.

You will find that medical students have pitch black senses of humor (actually, you probably know that). Also, I don't think what I said was particularly disrespectul in comparison to my instructors remarks while she was standing in front of the actual tissue, talking about how "this woman must have been old; during menopause old ladies sort of dry up down there," while pulling up a shrunken uterus. Or, pointing out the cervix, vagina, and uterus, and then talking about pregnancy, all whilst saying, "Birth is a pooey, bloody, disgusting, painful thing. Don't delude yourself into thinking it's a miracle; it's awful and makes you incontinent. I'm totally having a Cesarean, haha," to a stunned silent audience of students.

I have immense respect for the person that donated that material, for allowing us to learn from and study it; I would never make that above remark in or around the labs or in a professional setting. I think that would be disrespectful. But there's occupational humor in every profession (I love talking to prosectors and morticians, it's the best), and physicians are no strangers to it. No one could find the withered, flayed, embalmed pelvis of any person "sexy," after several years of manhandling that tissue, doubtful even the person to whom it once belonged. I don't think "nice" really comes into the picture when you're dealing in absolutes like that. It's just some deadpan commentary on the cold, clinical nature of what we do.

As for being sad, autopsy work is a lot different than prosection, dissection, or cadaver anatomy. I understand why that's sad; having a little kid straight from the ICU on the slab is a lot different than the embalmed parts I deal with. The stuff we work with is bizarrely impersonal, lending itself to a sort of serene, objectified peace rather than the uncanny disquiet of an full body. The specimens today were hunks of body, from the transpyloric plane to just below the pelvis. It's incredibly difficult to think of them as "people." Human specimens are just that, specimens, and though they were people once, they are no longer.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I never wanted to become a biologist, but I just started to want to EVEN LESS.
  • I never wanted to become a biologist, but I just started to want to EVEN LESS.
    I'm premedical; if I wasn't, I wouldn't be in the cadaver lab, since I am a molecular biologist and most macro systems bigger than cell-level tissue organization and communication are just stamp collecting to us. My actual major couldn't care less about embalmed lady bits.

Biology is fucking awesome, don't even play.

• It's not that it's not awesome, it's that it's not my thing. I want a job that will take me places (literally). Journalist covering foreign affairs is what I'm aiming for right now.
  • Yeah, an art museum sounds awesome.
  • Fucking nancho party.