This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

WTF of Your Day

Comments

Seems as if the criminal has been found.
  • Hearing aids are fucking weird. The sound of rustling grocery bags is overwhelming. Clicky pens are the most irritating thing in existence. Tissues make a sharp noise. I can hear my hair when I rub my head gently. I can hear my keys move in my pocket when I walk.

Grocery shopping was an interesting and exhausting experience.

Amon Amarth sounds more awesome.

It's a strange new world.
  • What happened that you needed a hearing aid?
  • What happened that you needed a hearing aid?
    Oh, right. Not everybody knows this story.

6 years ago, as part of a routine physical, I discovered that I have mild to moderate hearing loss in both ears. Given the pattern of loss (take a normal hearing curve and mute it 15 - 20 db), my audiologist thinks I could have had the loss from birth.

So nothing really "happened." I didn't wake up one day and say "Wow, everything is quieter." I just found out that I have hearing loss during an examination. It hasn't changed in 6 years.

About two months ago, I had a hearing aid evaluation. The audiologist said, "I'm sure you've heard this before, but you're a candidate for hearing aids." "Nope, nobody ever told me that. Let's do this thing."

My insurance covers $3000 for hearing aids, so I got some nice stuff.

• GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    What happened that you needed a hearing aid?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, Pete, but is this related to how you have hearing damage?

EDIT: Ninja'd

Post edited by Geo on
  • Hearing aids are fucking weird. The sound of rustling grocery bags is overwhelming. Clicky pens are the most irritating thing in existence. Tissues make a sharp noise. I can hear my hair when I rub my head gently. I can hear my keys move in my pocket when I walk.
    Welcome to what hearing is like for everyone else. ;^)

• As someone with a super-vigilant sensory disorder, I'd like to say that you all don't even know the half of it.
    Welcome to what hearing is like for everyone else. ;^)

The toilet makes a horrifying noise when it flushes.

How the fuck do you people deal with this?

• edited August 2012
    You'll get used to it I imagine, but even for folks that hear perfectly their whole lives sometimes sounds jump out. Every once in a while my house creaks and scares the absolute shit out of me.

Have you listened to music since you got the hearing aids?
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • The toilet makes a horrifying noise when it flushes.

There is a reason many children are afraid of flushing the toilet. That shit is LOUD and TERRIFYING in certain places, especially the really forceful ones in some public restrooms.

• Hell I'm scared of some flushing toilets and hovers for that same reason. You learn to be pretty spritely in the long term.

You should make a blog dedicated to new experiences from having a hearing aid. I could see it being amusing and enlightening.

You should make a blog dedicated to new experiences from having a hearing aid. I could see it being amusing and enlightening.

It could be a Tumblr. I'll call it "Fuck You [Noun]" and fill it with pictures of things that make awful noises.

It could be a Tumblr. I'll call it "Fuck You [Noun]" and fill it with pictures of things that make awful noises.

I would read that, also be prepared for the power of vacuum cleaners once you clean, that is a fun experience.

• Clicky pens are the most irritating thing in existence.
    I find this really ironic.
  • Clicky pens are the most irritating thing in existence.
    I find this really ironic.
    So does everyone. I know, karma and all that. So I'm declaring a truce in the pen-clicking war.

• Notice how you can hear every single mouse-click.

Notice how now you can't not hear every single mouse-click. ;^)
  • You can now hear yourself breathing.
  • I want to light my keyboard on fire.
    And everyone else breathing.

And other people chewing... even when their mouths are closed.
  • I want to light my keyboard on fire.
    Get a mechanical one, it makes awesome sounds.

I have a coworker who chews with his mouth open and smacks his lips. He sounds like a fucking animal.

I have a coworker who chews with his mouth open and smacks his lips. He sounds like a fucking animal.

Some of us have chronic respiratory and sinus issues...

Honestly, I've never understood the people who get all riled up by someone chewing nearby. I figure it's some kind of PTSD or weird social disorder that causes them to be so hypersensitive to it. It's just eating, which everyone does.
  • I can not stand people eating with their mouth open nor the sound of chewing. I know its finicky but there is nothing worse then trying to have a mean with some fucker slapping his lips and sloshing his food around. I get that some people have sinus issues but that is not carte blanche to show us the fucking food in your mouth.

Hell I can barely tollerate my own sounds eating to give you some context. That and people who can't use cutlery properly.

Some of us have chronic respiratory and sinus issues...

Honestly, I've never understood the people who get all riled up by someone chewing nearby. I figure it's some kind of PTSD or weird social disorder that causes them to be so hypersensitive to it. It's just eating, which everyone does.
    Heh, I am bothered by chewing and crunching, though the severity of the annoyingness comes and goes. Sometimes it gets so bad it takes all my will not to say something or leave the room (the latter sometimes I have to do, saying something would be rude though). Also I hate the sound of myself chewing if I'm eating something particularly crunchy or.. chewy. I'll cover my mouth and look all embarrassed and sometimes even apologize for eating loud. ._.

Also I hate guy in cube behind me that gets out these super loud chips/snack things every day around 3pm and crunches so loudly! >.<
  • I can not stand people eating with their mouth open nor the sound of chewing. I know its finicky but there is nothing worse then trying to have a mean with some fucker slapping his lips and sloshing his food around. I get that some people have sinus issues but that is not carte blanche to show us the fucking food in your mouth.

Hell I can barely tollerate my own sounds eating to give you some context. That and people who can't use cutlery properly.
    Right, and I assume that you have some sort of mental issue. Chewing is just chewing.

• I have a coworker who chews with his mouth open and smacks his lips. He sounds like a fucking animal.

I also have one who does this. Some day he's going to summon elder spawn.

• TWS this is for you

I even got the sing along version so you can sing along.

Right, and I assume that you have some sort of mental issue. Chewing is just chewing.
    Not when someone does not have the curtsy to close their mouth or even close it as best as possible whilst eating. I get that noise is more me but if you do not have the manners to hide the food that is swilling round in your mouth sit with the kids.