This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• Watched all of Band of Brothers over the weekend, and it was good.
  • Watching Buffy for the third time. I'm almost at the end of season 2.
  • I can't believe that there are only two episodes left in Game of Thrones. Start working on season 2 already HBO!
  • edited June 2011
    Just finished the second season of Underbelly on Churba's recommendation. It's a crime drama (rather than the History Channel type show I was expecting) about various drug trafficking periods in recent Aussie history. Really good show thus far (it's got that edutational shit down) with a great deal more fucking than I expected going into it.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Just finished the second season of Underbelly on Churba's recommendation. It's a crime drama (rather than the History Channel type show I was expecting) about various drug trafficking periods in recent Aussie history. Really good show thus far (it's got that edutational shit down) with a great deal more fucking than I expected going into it.
    Yeah, it's really good - I got hooked on the Gangland Wars part of the series (which portrays 1995–2004 in melbourne), and then really enjoyed the follow up/prequel seasons, Underbelly: Tale of Two cities (Portraying Weed smuggling and trade in 1976-1987, focusing on the Mr Asia Syndicate) and Underbelly: The Golden Mile (Portraying the organized crime and running of King's Cross in sydney - where I've spent some time - and happens partially concurrently with the original underbelly, happening between 1988 and 1999). I've Met one of the characters from the show - well, the bloke he's based on - John Ibrahim, he's a pretty alright bloke.

Also, Keep your eye out, there's a new series coming up, Underbelly: Razor, set in the 1920's and 1930's sydney, focusing on the famous battle between Tilly Devine and Kate Leigh, The Queen of Hearts and the Queen of Clubs, The Vice Queens of Sydney.

We honestly do really good drama.
    If anyone wants to catch some, Look for these names:
    East West 101 (Sydney based, Police Drama)
    Rush (Melbourne, Police Drama focused on a Tactical Response team)
    Offspring (Comedy drama, Family based)
    Dangerous (Drama, Forbidden love between the Affluent and street criminals such as drag racers and Ram raiders)
    Winners&Losers; (Comedy-Drama, Four high school friends who were losers win the lottery after a school reunion)
    Packed to the Rafters (Family oriented Comedy-Drama, kinda like Modern Family)
    Bed Of Roses (Comedy-Drama)
    Rake (Courtroom drama, a Rakehell barrister defends clients, who are usually guilty)
    Cloudstreet (Family Drama, based on the novel of the same name, Historical - or at least, the closest we have to it)
    Above the Law (About a group in an apartment block, living above a copshop)
    Changi (About the Changi Prisoner of War Camp, Run by the Japanese, historical mini-series)
    The Circuit (Lawyer drama)
    CrashBurn (An extremely Current-times relationship drama show)
    Dirt Game (Mining Drama - yeah, seriously)
    East of Everything (A travel writer comes home to Byron Bay-esque Broken Bay, has Dramas)
    Fireflies (Rural Firefighters drama business)
    Going Home (An interesting one - Set on a commuter train, with a different cast every episode, with dramas and commentary involving up to the minute events - and the content was partially controlled by the viewers.)
    Jessica (Period country related drama - pretty heart-rending)
    The Strip (Police drama, around the Gold Coast - I'm randomly an unpaid extra in this one, bonus points if you spot me)
    Tripping Over (Friends in london and friends in Australia decide to travel to each other's countries, meet in singapore, tragedy happens, and they they travel on and back.)
    Spirited (supernatural comedy-drama - a woman lives in an apartment inhabited by the ghost of an 80s rockstar)
    Tangle (Family Drama)

And Of course, The really Big ones - Love my Way and Secret Life of Us. As a bonus, there's also the film Lantana, which is a real gut-kicker.
  • Everyone is gaga over the Wire at the office lately.
    Best written show ever made. Seriously, this show is amazing.
    I haven't seen the Wire (doesn't seem to be my cup of tea from what I know if it), but Idris Elba is a brilliant and I will probably give it a shot just because he is an amazing actor.
    I haven't seen the Wire (doesn't seem to be my cup of tea from what I know if it), but Idris Elba is a brilliant and I will probably give it a shot just because he is an amazing actor.
    He was mean to Jim Halpert. That is not cool.
    If you're a big fan of Idris Elba, and honestly, everyone should be, you should check out a BBC show called Luther. I don't know if they've brought it over to the US yet, but it's excellent and he's phenomenal in it.
  • I have Luther on Netflix. Because of The Wire and how much I'm loving Treme, I may get HBO for HBO Go which is EVERY HBO Show, Every Season, No Streaming Limit on TV, PC, Phone for the First Year of it's launch. And I wanna watch...

Game of Thrones
    Bored to Death
    Eastbound and Down
    Deadwood
    Six Feet Under
    Oz
  • edited June 2011
    I have to agree with the comments above in regards to the Wire.
    In my opinion it is the most brilliant TV show ever made. The narrative is much more long form and set in an almost novel or essay like format. The opening scene of the first episode completely encapsulates the main theme that is explored over the 5 seasons.

If you want to see a pretty cool miniseries with the same intensity in regards to detail as the Wire, see "Generation Kill". It covers the Marine corp perspective of the American incursion into Iraq.

I'm currently enjoying -
    - Game of Thrones
    It is intriguing, however I'd have to ask someone who is a fan of the novels as to how well it has been translated to screen. I seem to despise the characters I'm meant to despise and relate to the characters that I'm meant to relate to plus I do enjoy Tyrion Lannister's perspective of his world.

-Treme
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Kate, watch The Wire. Seriously. It explores social issues more deeply than any other TV program I've ever seen.
  • edited June 2011
    You may not realize it right away, but if you're a human being, The Wire is your cup of tea. It's way, way, way more than the cop show it appears to be.
    Kate, watch The Wire. Seriously. It explores social issues more deeply than any other TV program I've ever seen.
    Exactly.
    If you want to see a pretty cool miniseries with the same intensity in regards to detail as the Wire, see "Generation Kill". It covers the Marine corp perspective of the American incursion into Iraq.
    True, but kinda gives the wrong impression. I'd say that it covers the perspective of the individual guys who were the "point of the spear" in the American incursion into Iraq. It's a much more personal, ground-level perspective. It's a really great show. The book was interesting, too, as was Nathaniel Fick's book on the same subject.

I've also gotta rave about Deadwood. It's more or less tied with The Wire for "best thing ever filmed", as far as I'm concerned. Maybe slightly behind, for the fact that it doesn't really get a proper ending.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited June 2011
    If you're a big fan of Idris Elba, and honestly, everyone should be, you should check out a BBC show called Luther. I don't know if they've brought it over to the US yet, but it's excellent and he's phenomenal in it.
    Seeing Luther last year is what made me a fan. It came out on BBC America last summer/fall, I believe.
    I've also gotta rave about Deadwood. It's more or less tied with The Wire for "best thing ever filmed", as far as I'm concerned. Maybe slightly behind, for the fact that it doesn't really get a proper ending.
    I didn't like Deadwood. To be fair to the show, I only saw four episodes, but the anachronisms and archetypical characters killed it for me.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited June 2011
    To be fair to the show, I only saw four episodes, but the anachronisms and archetypical characters killed it for me.
    It starts out a bit slowly, I'll admit that. The characters are not nearly as archetypal as they initially appear. One in particular is one of the most complex, interesting characters I've ever seen on film. If the anachronism bothers you, though, I got nothing for that.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I've also gotta rave about Deadwood. It's more or less tied with The Wire for "best thing ever filmed", as far as I'm concerned. Maybe slightly behind, for the fact that it doesn't really get a proper ending.
    Deadwood is 2nd best for me, I'm actually rewatching it, going through season 2 up to that episode where Al is passing those kidney stones. The characters in that show were so great, Al Swerengen has got to be one of the most memorable characters from TV shows.
  • edited June 2011
    He was mean to Jim Halpert. That is not cool.
    I've never seen that show The Wire. Who are you talking about? The only new person that has been on The Office recently is Will Ferrell. He was mean to Jim and mean to Pam. Was Will Ferrell on The Wire? Also what is The Wire? Is it a comedy show about cable installers in the vein of the Starz TV shorts/show Head Case (I mean just crazy. Batshit crazy and irreverent and nonsensical. And has celbs playing themselves?)? Cause if it is and has Will Ferrell I would watch the hell out of that shit.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • To be fair to the show, I only saw four episodes, but the anachronisms and archetypical characters killed it for me.
    It starts out a bit slowly, I'll admit that. The characters are not nearly as archetypal as they initially appear. One in particular is one of the most complex, interesting characters I've ever seen on film. If the anachronism bothers you, though, I got nothing for that.
    Anachronisms in and of themselves can be fine. It was the overuse of modern vernacular combined with pat characters that bothered me. I might give it a try at some point on your recommendation.
  • Been watching Glee with my girlfriend because she watched an episode over one of her friends and got hooked. It combines my love of A Capella music and some very cracked humour.

The overuse of autotune and non-vocal instrumentation makes my teeth grate however. Some songs they do are quite awesome though.

• I've never seen that show The Wire. Who are you talking about? The only new person that has been on The Office recently is Will Ferrell. He was mean to Jim and mean to Pam. Was Will Ferrell on The Wire? Also what is The Wire? Is it a comedy show about cable installers in the vein of the Starz TV shorts/show Head Case (I mean just crazy. Batshit crazy and irreverent and nonsensical. And has celbs playing themselves?)? Cause if it is and has Will Ferrell I would watch the hell out of that shit.
    Awesome attempt at troll though what are you watching an office for?
    Oh hai guys, who else watched Game of Thrones last night?
  • I'm finally watching Lost. It's pretty compelling, but I find myself caring less and less about what happens on the Island and only being interested in the character flashbacks.
  • Oh hai guys, who else watched Game of Thrones last night?
    My, what a delightful caricature of beloved Game of Thrones writer George R. R. Martin! He appears to be so very happy.

As it happens, I did indeed watch the aforementioned televisual treat. I found it to be most excellent in every conceivable way!
  • I'm following Game of Thrones too, I just need to watch the 9th episode. I've found the universe building of the writers to be really enjoyable (in addition to all the characters own stories).
    I especially enjoy the point that there is a lot of character development and chaos while still having an inevitable slow push towards what may be 3 sided battle and I can only guess the 3 sides will have to band together against the creatures from the north.
  • I'm finally watching Lost. It's pretty compelling, but I find myself caring less and less about what happens on the Island and only being interested in the character flashbacks.
    Try to stay that way. Quite a few of the people I know who were more invested in the island story than the characters themselves were disappointed in the end.
    1. Try to stay that way. Quite a few of the people I know who were more invested in the island story than the characters themselves were disappointed in the end.

Quickly I realized that the point of the show is to craft interesting characters and put them in crazy situations to see how they react. Most of the time it's pretty surprising.

For instance, I keep complaining to my friends that I want to know how Locke got in the wheelchair. So much that one of them came back and said, "Don't you think how he got out of the wheelchair is a better question?" And... no, because the random magic of the island is less important than the character drama. How he got in the wheelchair will make the fact that he no longer needs a wheelchair all the more powerful.
  • I'm currently working my way through The Larry Sanders show. Hey Now!
  • Damn you Game of Thrones for being such a good show. I've read all the books and knew what happens in the episode yet I looked down and my left hand was clenched in a fist. I love this show for not only throwing crazy twists at its viewers (not treating them like idiots) but also for throwing them in episode 9 of 10, not the typical season finale, to catch viewers even MORE off guard.