This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Car Enthusiast Thread.

Comments

• Will you also be using the tuna as well to help juice up your car?
    Duh, don't you know anything about cars?
    Duh, don't you know anything about cars?
    The only thing that I know on how to juice up a car is to put a banana in the tailpipe.
  • I've actually used tuna cans to do quick-and-dirty fixes before. Both the Green car at 1:20 and the yellow car at 1:34 in the video I linked above had repairs made with tuna cans.
  • Duh, don't you know anything about cars?
    Let me tell you, I switched to the premium albacore two months ago, and I haven't looked back since.
  • Let me tell you, I switched to the premium albacore two months ago, and I haven't looked back since.
    Starkist or Chicken of the Sea? It matters.
  • Let me tell you, I switched to the premium albacore two months ago, and I haven't looked back since.
    That premium albacore is great stuff, you can really feel the difference.
  • Your going to like though struts but be ready for a rough ride. Are you going to need new end links or just run without sway bars? I need to move my cusco coilovers from my wrecked white MR2 to the new black one still. I have the front ones off already but I haven't had time to put them on.
  • My plan is to just keep running the stock sways. I think the spring rate should be high enough that it'll be as stiff in roll stiffness as I want, but we'll see. If I go for better sways I'll definitely do the end links.
  • Well because of the drop you might need to upgrade your endlinks to adjustable one. I know I had to when I put in the coilover one my old MR2.
  • I've never heard of that being necessary with a NC mx5.
  • edited July 2011
    Ah, I just found this thread. This is awesome, I knew two of my favorite hobbies (cars, and lurking this forum) would merge together at one point.

As much as I love cars and sports cars of any kind, I am a huge truck guy as well. I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500. Short-wide. It just rolled over 81,000 miles yesterday. It has the 4.3L V6, measured about (conservatively) 190hp, 260lb/ft of torque from the factory. I haven't taken it to a dyno yet, but since it's 2wd, I'm slowly turning it into a street truck since taking it off-roading is impractical ($1200 lift for a 2wd? Looks cool, but I'd rather have a stock 4x4). This truck was babied by my grandma for years until she gave it to me. No engine mods yet, but I'm getting a CAI and a throttle body soon, plus the Big 3 upgrade electrics-wise. I love my truck. It's frustrating at times because it only has a V6 and because I've wrecked it once, but it's still my baby. The front end doesn't line up perfect, but I'm fine with that. I have a TON of mods coming to this truck.

What I have done to it now:
    -Halos
    -Blacked out grille with black bowtie (bowtie is en route)
    -Complete debadge-ing
    -Interior trim painting (This is my current project, still in the works)
    -Running on synthetic oil (not really a mod, but you'd be surprised how many cars still run on conventional)
    -It has new pioneer 6.5" speakers in the doors, but I'm not fond of them. I have planned a complete sound system with 6.5's, 4x6's, and 2 10" Sundown Audio subwoofers with a Sundown 1500w amp.
    -5% tint on the side & rear windows
    -Straight pipe/Muffler delete (It's quite loud)

Pictures for now:

And working on the interior...
    Stock dash texture (Will be smooth gloss by the end of the process)

The paint looks sorta orange in this picture, but trust me, in real life it matches the red on my truck to a tee.

This truck is real special to me. Lots of stuff coming for it. I'll try and keep things updated for anyone who might be interested.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • I've never gotten the truck thing, but it does look like a very nice truck. Is a Vortec 350 swap potentially in its future?
  • I've never gotten the truck thing, but it does look like a very nice truck. Is a Vortec 350 swap potentially in its future?
    Thank you. It definitely is, at least some sort of V8 swap. I'm a fan of the LS7 engine but I'm not sure how it would hold in a truck. Plus they are very expensive. But I'm definitely planning on a V8 swap and a manual 6-speed conversion in the future.
  • Thank you. It definitely is, at least some sort of V8 swap. I'm a fan of the LS7 engine but I'm not sure how it would hold in a truck. Plus they are very expensive. But I'm definitely planning on a V8 swap and a manual 6-speed conversion in the future.
    I like the LS7 a lot, but a LS2 or LS3 with a cam will get you the same power a lot cheaper. I'd also suggest a Vortec 5.3. Same basic design as the LS, but a steel block and they can be had for under $1000 or so. Stock they're rated at 330 hp. With some nice heads and a cam you could get 400 hp without much trouble.
  • about (conservatively) 190hp, 260lb/ft of torque from the factory
    It's frustrating at times because it only has a V6
    it only has a v6
    Find a rake. Make sure the wooden handle-part goes up your ass last.
    Halos
    It's illegal to blind people you asshole.
    Complete debadge-ing
    >bottom left
  • Find a rake. Make sure the wooden handle-part goes up your ass last.
    Clearly you haven't ridden a truck with a V10. :3
  • It's illegal to blind people you asshole.
    Depends on the bulb you put into it, Halos just refer to the light rim around the lights and a projector lens on the main bulb.
  • Clearly you haven't ridden a truck with a V10. :3
    Most people haven't. Most people also do not need a truck, period. This kid here's complaining about a big fucking engine he doesn't even need. Hell, people who do benefit from a pick-up truck are just as efficient with just a simple diesel VW Golf with a cart behind it.
  • Most people haven't. Most people also do not need a truck, period. This kid here's complaining about a big fucking engine he doesn't even need. Hell, people who do benefit from a pick-up truck are just as efficient with just a simple diesel VW Golf with a cart behind it.
    There is a strong V8 and truck culture in America. Step off.
  • There is a strong V8 and truck culture in America. Step off.
    I'm aware. There's also a more significant world-wide culture of thinking the US is mostly filled with morons.
  • I can totally understand where he's coming from. I'm not complaining really, I would just like to have a V8 with some power. Nowadays, car manufacturers are putting V6's in trucks for mainly 2 reasons: cost, and fuel economy. I'm not sure how other brand trucks are, but even the smallest V8 Chevrolet puts in their trucks gets better fuel economy AND gets more power than the six-cynliders. I can only imagine it's the same with the F-150s and Ram trucks.

I don't need it by any means, I just think it would be a lot of fun. I've got straight pipes so it's loud, but it doesn't feel the same as a V8. I don't haul anything but on occasion my family rents a trailer which my truck handles plenty. Plus, it's nice having the bed. I can think of many situations where it's been very convenient for me with a pickup as when it would have been frustrating for my friends who have cars. The only other reason I have a truck is because it was given to me, and because I love the culture of trucks in America, especially where I come from. It's not so much a big deal up north, but here in the south there is a strong culture, and that's just part of who I am, and where I'm from.
    It's illegal to blind people you asshole.
    Like mentioned, the halo's are only decorative and you can't even notice them in the day, they aren't that bright. The headlights themselves are no brighter than the stock ones.
    bottom left
    I realize. Stock debadging, yes, however most of those stickers are off now ('cept for the Zelda one), because over time I just started to think they looked tacky.

I like the LS7 a lot, but a LS2 or LS3 with a cam will get you the same power a lot cheaper. I'd also suggest a Vortec 5.3. Same basic design as the LS, but a steel block and they can be had for under $1000 or so. Stock they're rated at 330 hp. With some nice heads and a cam you could get 400 hp without much trouble.
    I agree, used 5.3's are aplenty locally through craigslist, and aside from the 6.0, there are tons of aftermarket parts and upgrades out there for it. With a 6.0 there would be a lot more, and as a bonus, the modding community for that LS engine is large and very helpful. It's really just up to funds and what comes around once the opportunity in which I can get an engine arises.
  • Not to be rude, but I would like someone to explain to me the purpose of a truck with tons of HP. Trucks are built to haul, and hauling is a function of torque. Torque generally decreases as horsepower increases. Trucks are already heavy, so you need to maintain a certain amount of torque in order to haul just the body; loaded, you will NEVER use something like 400hp. Even people with 400hp sportscars don't regularly use all of that (I know firsthand). So why would you want a high HP engine in a vehicle meant to pull tons of shit?
  • Yeah, Truck Douche-Bag Culture!
  • To be loud so people can perceive you as EXTREME?
  • Not to be rude, but I would like someone to explain to me the purpose of a truck with tons of HP. Trucks are built to haul, and hauling is a function of torque. Torque generally decreases as horsepower increases. Trucks are already heavy, so you need to maintain a certain amount of torque in order to haul just the body; loaded, you will NEVER use something like 400hp. Even people with 400hp sportscars don't regularly use all of that (I know firsthand). So why would you want a high HP engine in a vehicle meant to pull tons of shit?
    Torque does not generally decrease as HP increases, comparing two engines. Are you thinking of how the torque and HP of a single engine relate to engine RPM? (Typically torque falls off as HP rises). Horsepower is just a function of torque and engine speed. More torque means more HP (for a given RPM), and a higher HP engine generally has more torque than a similar engine with less HP.

Horsepower expresses what you can actually do with the torque. Check out the "The Case for Horsepower" and so on here. What it really comes down to is that in America, people talk about engines in terms of HP.
  • Check out the "The Case for Horsepower" and so on here.
    Great link!
  • edited July 2011
    To be loud so people can perceive you as EXTREME?
    I forgot that dick size is measured in dB.
    Are you thinking of how the torque and HP of a single engine relate to engine RPM? (Typically torque falls off as HP rises).
    Yeah, that's what I meant. Herp derp.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited July 2011
    To be loud so people can perceive you as EXTREME?
    I forgot that dick size is measured in dB.
    Fuck, when did this happen? *runs off to make a mount for his DJ Speakers*

Seriously, those things can make bass that'll rattle yer nuts off.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Seriously, those things can make bass that'll rattle yer nuts off.