This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Car Enthusiast Thread.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    A friend of mine is looking to sell me a Datsun 280z for well under $1000. There's some rust damage and it's going to need a new paint job, but that will only cost around $600 and the engine has at least another 100,000 miles (possibly more; the thing is in surprisingly good shape) in it before it will need any major maintenance. It looks like this but with mismatched paint and some minor rust spots:

This is exciting because I've never technically owned my own car, let alone a classic Japanese sports car.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I am so jealous.
  • A friend of mine is looking to sell me a Datsun 280z for well under $1000. There's some rust damage and it's going to need a new paint job, but that will only cost around $600 and the engine has at least another 100,000 miles (possibly more; the thing is in surprisingly good shape) in it before it will need any major maintenance. It looks like this but with mismatched paint and some minor rust spots:

This is exciting because I've never technically owned my own car, let alone a classic Japanese sports car.
    I have one JUST like that one, only in light blue and with the 6 point rims. You can get parts through the internet easy, just a fair warning, all electrical wiring is a NIGHTMARE.
  • I have one JUST like that one, only in light blue and with the 6 point rims. You can get parts through the internet easy, just a fair warning, all electrical wiring is a NIGHTMARE.
    True story. Whoever laid it out must of been fucking silly as a wheel.
  • I'll try to save for my next car (it doesn't have to be immediate as my current Camry will last another 10 - 20 years), however I'm torn between the upcoming Toyota / Subaru collaboration on the Toyota FT-86 / Subaru FR-S and the Nissan GT-R.
    It all depends on how good or bad the performance of the FT-86 is. The other thing about it, is that Toyota are going to try to release it at a price of AUD/USD $30000. Which sounds crazy if it is the first performance car since the Supra line was shut down and it has anything that can hold up to the competition when it is released next year (hopefully it will be released).
    Here's a video of it being tested on the Nurburgring -
  • My brain automatically read AE-86 and then I was disappointed. *sigh*
  • I'll try to save for my next car (it doesn't have to be immediate as my current Camry will last another 10 - 20 years), however I'm torn between the upcoming Toyota / Subaru collaboration on the Toyota FT-86 / Subaru FR-S and the Nissan GT-R.
    It all depends on how good or bad the performance of the FT-86 is. The other thing about it, is that Toyota are going to try to release it at a price of AUD/USD $30000. Which sounds crazy if it is the first performance car since the Supra line was shut down and it has anything that can hold up to the competition when it is released next year (hopefully it will be released).
    That'll be good for the Americans. Did you know they're not allowed to have Skylines, except for certain models?
  • Did you know they're not allowed to have Skylines, except for certain models?
    The R34 and R35 are fine, I thought.
  • edited June 2011
    Did you know they're not allowed to have Skylines, except for certain models?
    The R34 and R35 are fine, I thought.
    Nope, unless they were imported, modified to US safety standards, and certified between 1999 late and early 2005. IIRC, the only company that was allowed to do it was Motorex, and they only ever imported Skyline GTR R32, Skyline GTR R33 and the Skyline GTR R34, and haven't since 2006 - they also got their import eligibility rescinded in 2005, and only some owners of particular year models which have been modified to comply with the standard still have legal cars - unmodified or uncertified cars are illegal, and if you get caught with it, they'll confiscate it and crush it.

The only straight-up and legal import Skylines to the states is actually sold under the Infiniti Marque, as the G35 and G37.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • What? I've seen R35's on the road. I just checked the Nissan site and they sell the GT-R here.
  • edited June 2011
    What? I've seen R35's on the road. I just checked the Nissan site and they sell the GT-R here.
    The R35 isn't a Skyline, it's a successor, and separate from the Skylines now - New Chassis, New engine, and no Skyline badging, being sold badged as a Nissan GT-R. It looks like the Skyline of old, But it isn't a Skyline, it's a spin-off of the original Skyline GT-R models.

The Latest in the Skyline models is the Skyline V36, with the American version being marketed as the Infiniti G37, and the previous model, the V35 (Sold as the Infiniti G35 in the US) was the first skyline that was designed to be US legal right from the factory.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • We also don't get the fancy AWD with a manual transmission. It's automatic and AWD or stick and RWD.
  • We also don't get the fancy AWD with a manual transmission. It's automatic and AWD or stick and RWD.
    Well, that sucks - but is it semi-auto or similar, or is it full P-R-D-2-1 Automatic?
    (though, either way, I'd buy the RWD stick model, most likely, if I only had those two choices.)
  • Well, that sucks - but is it semi-auto or similar, or is it full P-R-D-2-1 Automatic?
    (though, either way, I'd buy the RWD stick model, most likely, if I only had those two choices.)
    It used to be a 5-speed gearbox that was ok, now it's a 7 speed gerabox. Personally, I'd probably go for the 2.5L V6 with AWD. I don't need the 3.7 power, especially with RWD. Intelligent AWD is something I can use all the time.
  • edited June 2011
    It used to be a 5-speed gearbox that was ok, now it's a 7 speed gerabox. Personally, I'd probably go for the 2.5L V6 with AWD. I don't need the 3.7 power, especially with RWD. Intelligent AWD is something I can use all the time.
    I'm just not as confident in AWD cars(Well, not counting AWD in the sense of it being a 4x4 vehicle, like a big ute or an offroad vehicle) - Nothing against them, it's a failing in my ability, but I learned to throw a car about in a battered old shitbox with a welded up diff, and ever since then, I've been mostly fucking about in RWD cars - I've never driven an AWD real fast in anything more than a straight line, so I'd have to re-learn all my hoonin'.

Also, I won't deny I have a Tim Taylor-esqe affection for cramming more powerful engines into things. For example, now, I drive a cargo van that's been tuned out till if I want, I can catch rubber in every gear. Why does a crappy (Originally) 4 banger 1.2 little commercial van need a tuned up 1.6L engine? Shits and giggles, really. I wanted to put a good six in there, but I couldn't find one that would fit.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm just not as confident in AWD cars(Well, not counting AWD in the sense of it being a 4x4 vehicle, like a big ute or an offroad vehicle) - Nothing against them, it's a failing in my ability, but I learned to throw a car about in a battered old shitbox with a welded up diff, and ever since then, I've been mostly fucking about in RWD cars - I've never driven an AWD real fast in anything more than a straight line, so I'd have to re-learn all my hoonin'.
    See, I learned how to drive on a RWD Jeep Wrangler. Then I learned how to drive really fast on a powerful FWD SAAB. Going fast in a AWD is just an extension of good FWD skills. Now I'm back to honing my RWD skills with my MX5.
  • edited June 2011
    See, I learned how to drive on a RWD Jeep Wrangler. Then I learned how to drive really fast on a powerful FWD SAAB. Going fast in a AWD is just an extension of good FWD skills. Now I'm back to honing my RWD skills with my MX5.
    It is a limitation I need to overcome - I can probably drive one reasonably quick - the fundamentals of fast driving do not change that much from system to system - but it'd be basic and comparatively slow to how I throw around a RWD. My FWD skills are pretty good, but I need get down and do some work on the dirt with that - the only FWD car I've ever owned was my Mini(which was admittedly a fucking ball-tearer, for a Mini clubman). The powerful cars I really got my boots into and kicked about were more Holden Monaros and Ford Falcons, old, old models. I think I'll just always be more comfortable with RWD and old-school big iron, but that doesn't give me an excuse not to learn to do better.

Then again, it's always that honing and losing of skill with people like us, isn't it? No matter how good we get, we're still going to have to be letting get rusty some part of the driving arts.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Then again, it's always that honing and losing of skill with people like us, isn't it? No matter how good we get, we're still going to have to be letting get rusty some part of the driving arts.
    Eh, just get good at what you like. Being good at even one drivetrain is a moving target as the cars are constantly changing. In the end, unless you're driving professionally, you're only going to be really good with your own car.

Anyway, details on this hotted up van?
  • edited June 2011
    Eh, just get good at what you like. Being good at even one drivetrain is a moving target as the cars are constantly changing. In the end, unless you're driving professionally, you're only going to be really good with your own car.
    As much as I know this intellectually, I refuse to accept it. I can always be a better driver, no matter how good I am. I'm good at sliding a car about, but I'm not yet as good as or better than Rhys Millen. I can do tricks, but I'm not yet as good as or better than Ken Block. I can Rally, but I'm not yet as good as or better than Mika Hakkinen. And when I am better than them, there will be someone better, a new target to aim for. I've got Petrol in my blood and the rumble of a good engine in my bones. To aim for less is to deny myself.
    Anyway, details on this hotted up van?
    Well, it started life as a 1.2 liter A12 Engine standard Nissan Vanette, and the mob I bought it from(who had used it to shift product around between two relatively close businesses) had put the cargo-grade suspension in it, but I dropped an A15 which had been bored out from a 1.5 to a 1.6 and a new(ish) exhaust. I'm still looking for a good Z20 or vanette model Z24i engine to drop in, but that might be a bit small, I might find something more powerful yet. Also, it's got re-done intakes(to get air more efficiently) and bigger filters, Twin-barrel carby, adjusted gearing(because otherwise it used to really complain in the higher gears and on the highway), and a stronger diff(because the old one was fucked, and I figured I'd upgrade a little). In the meantime, the steering wheel is fucked, the radio is hopeless, the carpet is shite, the headliner is coming down at the back, one of the windows is wired shut because the catch is broken, and my gear-knob comes off if you grab at it wrong. Oh, and the throttle is a bit shite, because I need to replace the throttle cable. and sometimes it sticks a little bit open, so that it'll sit on about one and a half grand or so without your foot on the pedal, depending on where it sticks, and you kinda have to give it a stamp to get it to settle down.
    Also - Seems like a bit of a weak engine, but it's comprised of mostly empty space inside - it's lighter than you'd expect, coming in at just over a ton quarter.

She's a mean old bitch, but she's MY mean old bitch, and I love her.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2011
    I own two 91 MR2's and I just love them. The reason I own to is because my white one just got put into a wall thanks to a hit and run. I just picked up the black one that is in near mint shape to replace it. Lucky for me all of my performance parts weren't damaged in the crash and thanks to the mid engine layout the engine is good to. My coilovers are nearly irreplaceable unless I want to take a trip to Japan. Cusco won't ship my set up outside of Japan. Between me and my brother our house looks like a used car lot.

Side Note: The MR2 spyder is junk compared to the old MR2's and MR2 owners refuse to call it a real MR2.

Here is a picture of the old white one

Edit: Note about importing Skylines. There are very few legal Skylines in the US (R32,R33,R34) but there are a few. Some were imported through a loophole that got shut down really fast. There is a guy to runs a insurance company that owns one of the few R34's that is really involved in our local car seen. It's not hard to register or insure an illegal one. They don't care but the federal government won't allow it. You can have a skyline without issue but unless its one of the few federalized ones don't let it touch the road.
    Post edited by DK1105 on
  • I've actually been in a long so-far unfulfilled search for a "Car guys" forum with the same kind of attitude, reputation, and knowledge as some of the more tech-hardware related forums I frequent. It seems like most of them are even worse than the ATI/Nvidia/AMD/Intel flamewars folks. What I want are highly educated mechanics and engineers talking about cars in an unbiased and reasonable way.
  • I've got a pretty good local forum, but nothing good on an internet wide scale.
  • My brain automatically read AE-86 and then I was disappointed. *sigh*
    Toyota wanted to pay homage to the AE-86 hence why they are naming it like this.
    That'll be good for the Americans. Did you know they're not allowed to have Skylines, except for certain models?
    That's so weird. Its not like American car standards aren't something that the Japanese companies can match. I've still got 2 friends who own R34 models.
    We also don't get the fancy AWD with a manual transmission. It's automatic and AWD or stick and RWD.
    I don't understand the American market's aversion to manual cars. I would choose the AWD manual any day of the year. I've been driving manuals since I got my license however my brother and my Mum still only have Automatic licenses.
    I guess you can use that 3.7 L engine in Australia on the longer roads (there's no need for it but to blast past the speed limit). In WA the roads aren't as bad as Sydney and some of Melbourne. (Sydney is atrocious yet I use to see so many high end luxury and sports cars parked during weekdays in basement parking). The GT-R seems to need specific tires, there's no problem with the nitrogen in the tires though, the majority of tire places offer it.

You guys can laugh at my progression -
    Holden Barina (learning how to drive)
    Toyota Camry (first car of my own, 85 model, first time I drifted down the entry to a freeway unintentionally)
    Honda Civic (92)
    Nissan Pulsar GTIR (92, first high acceleration car, got too expensive to own in Sydney, was constantly getting keyed and the NSW government wanted an arm and a leg each year to keep it)
    Toyota Camry (95, current car, drive to and from work and when moving between states, Sydney to Melbourne to Perth)

Currently have access to drive my brother's Honda Prelude (when he's not looking) or my Dad's Ford Falcon but I don't like driving either of the latter automatic cars as I don't feel I'm in control.

It's pretty terrible when compared to the cars you guys have but hopefully I get a nice car next year or the year after.
  • It's pretty terrible when compared to the cars you guys have but hopefully I get a nice car next year or the year after.
    My car is a pile of shit, and a large, square one at that. It just goes fast, because I have a habit of putting unreasonably powerful engines into things - one which I plan to continue.

Also, This - The Trailer for the Scouts Queensland Banana Bash. I've spoken of it before.
  • FUCKIN' YES. I managed to not only secure a Z24i engine that fits my van, but I got it for free! And it probably won't set the van on fire!
  • FUCKIN' YES. I managed to not only secure a Z24i engine that fits my van, but I got it for free! And it probably won't set the van on fire!
    All it's missing is a little T at the end of that name <_
  • All it's missing is a little T at the end of that name <_<</p>
    That van is only a ton and quarter, a 2.4L is going to scoot it along quite nicely. How many HP Churba? My MX5 (also a ton and quarter) has 170 hp 2.0L and it's quite zippy.
  • edited June 2011
    All it's missing is a little T at the end of that name <_<</p>
    That van is only a ton and quarter, a 2.4L is going to scoot it along quite nicely. How many HP Churba? My MX5 (also a ton and quarter) has 170 hp 2.0L and it's quite zippy.
    Well, since vans have a really high center of gravity, adding power will only make it flip sooner than later, so why not add a turbo to it? that way he can at least entertain passers by when they hear the blowoff valve and only see a vanette on the road.

Wiki says that the engine has about 103/106hp depending on the year, depending on his transmission is probably 80 or 90 at the wheels, so even with a turbo, it would make less than your 170hp
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • edited June 2011
    I've never dyno'ed it, to be honest, but from the starting engine, the work done, and rough gut feel, I'm guessing it at about 100-110 HP. It's rather hard to tell without the dyno, though. Also, unlike the Miata, it's oddly geared, it's nice and low to start off - since I still use it to pull and carry heavy loads(Ton half in the back, and it still takes off pretty well) too, and I need the torque - but climbs pretty well in the higher gears, and starts to top out about 120 Kph, which isn't bad for what it is. Originally, it'd top out not far past 90KPH, and be screaming when you did it.

Also, while I love her, she's a commercial vehicle, and built for comfort nor speed - I'd take a lot of work and time to get her anywhere near a Miata in anything but a straight line limited distance drag - she knows how to boogie, but you still can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, so to speak.

Also, I'm going to have to be careful and keep an eye on it - While I SHOULDN'T have that problem, I do have to be careful, since the entire line was recalled in America when they had the 2.4 in it, because it had a nasty tenancy to catch fire.
    Wiki says that the engine has about 103/106hp depending on the year, depending on his transmission is probably 80 or 90 at the wheels, so even with a turbo, it would make less than your 170hp
    Nope - the A15 Stroker I put in(with the very original A12 motor only putting out 70 horse) originally put out only about 80 horse, but it's been bored out and lovingly modified and tuned since then. The Z24i I'm putting in is an 86, so it should be about 106 horse, and I might be able to tune and mod some extra out of it before I start to toe the border of illegal - which is why I can't put the turbo in legally, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't get the compliance plate, but even if I did, I don't think I'd be able to drive it, since I'm under 25. I might have to resort to just making it crazy in other ways.
    Next stop - Dekotora Van.
    Post edited by Churba on

New used shocks for the miata. Bilstein B8 shocks, the firmest shocks they make before you have to buy full coilovers. I'm planning to pair these with a set of Flyin Miata springs which have over 2.5 times the spring rate of the stock "sport" suspension. Then I'll have a car that corners like a proper sports car. ^_^