This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Car Enthusiast Thread.

Comments

• Hm... Well, I'm partial to FRs, but if you like it it looks like a nice car.
  • Shop just called me to let me know they have finished installing the new sway bars on my SAAB. I can't wait to take it for a drive after work. ^_^
  • Weren't you gonna get a new car?
    No money for a new car, I has a poor. :(
    No money for a new car, I has a poor. :(
    Awww.
  • edited April 2011
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about adding an aftermarket supercharger to one of the family cars which has recently fallen out of warranty. Here's my question: when a supercharger (or a turbo, for that matter) is advertised as producing 340 horses, is your car's total horsepower calculated as the base engine horsepower plus the horsepower produced by the supercharger? And if not, how do I calculate total horsepower?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The only real way is to put in on a dynamometer, and unless you have a V8 on your family car, it will take more than just a supercharger or turbo to get it up to 340whp
  • edited April 2011
    The only real way is to put in on a dynamometer, and unless you have a V8 on your family car, it will take more than just a supercharger or turbo to get it up to 340whp
    Figured as much. I was pretty certain that there was no way that it would just add 340whp. However, reading the manufacturer's website more closely I think that number given might be the total horsepower after addition of a super for this particular car; although I might just leave it stock. It's a pretty mean vehicle as it is.
  • What car is it? That'll help give us a better idea as to what kind of increase you'd get.
  • edited April 2011
    1998 BMW M Coupe. 240HP, 3.2L I6. Not mine, but my dad is driving a much more powerful car nowadays, and so the usage of this one defaults to me over the summer.
  • edited April 2011
    1998 BMW M Coupe. 240HP, 3.2L I6. Not mine, but my dad is driving a much more powerful car nowadays, and so the usage of this one defaults to me over the summer.
    If the engine is in good condition you could probably do get the 340whp with the turbo or supercharger, but you'll probably need to upgrade the cooling, fuel pump, injectors, and headers for a manifold (if installing a turbo). You could get a good 90 extra horses with as little as 5 or 7 psi on the turbo or a smaller supercharer.

But honestly 240HP should be enough to have fun with it, and adding a turbo/supercharger adds maintenance, fuel, oil and tires to an already expensive car.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Yeah, I knew about the extra mods necessary. It was just an idea my dad and I had been tossing around for awhile.
  • Superchargering a car, even with a complete kit, is an enormous undertaking. It requires a great deal of technical skill with tools. If you don't have the prerequisite skill I wouldn't attempt it. The other issue is that you can turn a tame car into a completely wild animal. You'll need a much firmer suspension and better brakes to keep the car under control.
  • edited April 2011
    I just got a new car. Got it on January, I have been liking it a lot since then.
    Tiida
    It`s a Nissan Tiida (or Versa depending where you are at). It's 1.8l 16v 130hp on bio-fuel or 125hp on gasoline.
    edit: I forgot a cool spec about it, the transmission is 6 speed manual.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • Superchargering a car, even with a complete kit, is an enormous undertaking. It requires a great deal of technical skill with tools. If you don't have the prerequisite skill I wouldn't attempt it. The other issue is that you can turn a tame car into a completely wild animal. You'll need a much firmer suspension and better brakes to keep the car under control.
    Yes. Believe it or not, there is such a thing as too much power for a car.
  • None of these things are news to me. It would have been a dealer installation of a Dinan supercharger kit with the appropriate modifications to make said car capable of handling it.

I know cars, just not a whole lot about supers and turbos.
  • There's also a problem with those cars ripping the rear subframe away from the car. More power would undoubtedly make that worse.
  • I'm well aware of the E36 subframe defects. There are a number of fixes, and the car is 13 years old, so one of them will be applied shortly anyway. For all I know the plates have already been reinforced; the car is often stored in a friend's auto shop for the winter, and lots of maintenance is done while it's there. It's pushing 100k with no signs of significant wear, so I'd say it's okay.
  • Usually when you turbo or supercharge a car, you have to open the engine and check the block to see if there is anything to be done to make the engine like new. Before I turbocharged my little Uno I sent it to a shop to re-do the engine. Got new pistons with rings, connecting rods, valves, gasket kit as well as a reconditioning job to make everything fit perfectly. It only had 40k (km) on it. It really is an onerous job, but if you like the autos it's very rewarding when done.
  • Fiat is in America?! When the fuck did this happen?!
  • edited June 2011
    Fiat is in America?! When the fuck did this happen?!
    Probably about the same time Alfa Romeo came back across the pond. Color me excited!
  • Alfa too?

Well, I'm test driving me a Fiat 500 this summer.
  • Yeah, Alfa is entering the market in 2012, and the first cars will ship Q1 2013.

I'm impressed with the price of that Fiat. I'd like to take one for a spin, as well.
  • Well, I'm test driving me a Fiat 500 this summer.
    Unless it's the Abarth model, I'm frowning at both of you.
  • Well, I'm test driving me a Fiat 500 this summer.
    Unless it's the Abarth model, I'm frowning at both of you.
    Ehhhhh....

Anyway, I'm working on an article/audio to explain to newbies the differences between the different drivetrain layouts.
  • What do you guys think of this? If you have any suggestions I'm more than open to them.

http://pastebin.com/Ux8DxU2G
  • edited June 2011
    Ehhhhh....
    Son, I'm am presidential disappoint.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Well, look, not that I wouldn't test drive an abarth if I could, but they don't have it.
  • Here, let me make up for it with a photo from while my mate nick (The Mechanic, As opposed to Daniel, The Audio Guy, and Me, the Fabricator) was moving his Jag today.
  • What do you guys think of this? If you have any suggestions I'm more than open to them.

http://pastebin.com/Ux8DxU2G
    You've covered the basics well for the uninitiated. But who are you writing this for? I seriously doubt anyone who doesn't know these things already really cares to be informed at all.
    Well, look, not that I wouldn't test drive an abarth if I could, but they don't have it.
    Sadly, no Abarth til the end of the year. :(