This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PC vs Console FPS Controls: Nails in the Coffin

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I loled at that. I wonder how many more graphics console games are? 10? 100?
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • edited March 2011
    Thats some good trolling there. I especially like the parts where its not half-life Deus Ex in the picture and how the pc game is about 10 years older than the Xbox game.
    FTFY
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I wondered if that was Deus Ex, but since I haven't played it I wasn't sure.
    And now I feel old...
    And now I feel old...
    I'm not THAT young. I'll be 20 next week...Oh wait that makes it worse doesn't it?
  • I'm not THAT young. I'll be 20 next week...Oh wait that makes it worse doesn't it?
    I'm so old and I'm only 26. Why didn't anyone tell me aging accelerates rapidly once you turn 20???
  • now he's going to start talking about how he remembers playing Final Fantasy 7 when HE was 7.

7!
  • edited November 2011
    This video is so beautiful.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • It's okay, Scott. We all can't do things. I can't program. You can't make it out of 1992. But that's okay, we're all unique.
  • People have seen this, right? If not, I think this is the perfect thread for it.
  • People have seen this, right? If not, I think this is the perfect thread for it.
    I still laugh every time that little robot runs into the wall.

• It's only funny because Scott's right, and yet still wrong.
  • edited November 2011
    This video is so beautiful.
    So why don't you just setup Quake 2 and play that? Or mod Quake 3 to play as fast as Quake 2?
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • you know what, if Quake 2 had a decent game finder I'd be playing Action quake still.
  • you know what, if Quake 2 had a decent game finder I'd be playing Action quake still.
  • edited November 2011
    It's only funny because Scott's right, and yet still wrong.
    Pretty much. I take the piss, but I still love quake, and I'd love to see a modern remake - I use that word very specifically, pretty much for the reasons in the video he linked, because quake like the version in that video isn't quake, it's a quake imitation - but that doesn't mean I think modern games are bad. It's different strokes for different folks. Just like ScoJo and Scott, I would indeed still be playing AQ if it wasn't a fucking ball-ache to do so, but I'm also playing BF3 right now, and enjoying the hell out of it, while also looking forward to arkham city, despite that it's apparently a cheap version of Bayonetta with a batman reskin.

Or, really, the TL:DR version of most of what I have to say on the topic - If I want to play quake, I'll play fucking quake. If I want to play BF3, I'll play BF3. And it doesn't fucking matter that they're different, or one is faster, or one has more weapons, or whatever the fuck else, because I like them both. If you don't like a modern game like BF3? Don't play it, dumbass! There are games to match your tastes, play those! Nobody has a gun to your head forcing you to play games you don't like, so be an adult and choose the entertainment you enjoy, rather than just following the herd.

Also, No matter how pretty a dress you put on it, your opinion is still just your opinion. I can use ten dollar words to put in my two cents just as well as you can, but that doesn't make either of us right, no matter how much we claim objective fact.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited November 2011
    Yea, don't confuse me with Rubin on this subject, while I love quake and quake like games, i also have a lot of fun playing different kinds of FPS's I just don't tend to play them multiplayer. I'm sure I'll really like "modern" FPS style games multiplayer when I'm 80 and need the slow action so my horrible reflexes at that time can handle it :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Yea, don't confuse me with Rubin on this subject, while I love quake and quake like games, i also have a lot of fun playing different kinds of FPS's I just don't tend to play them multiplayer. I'm sure I'll really like "modern" FPS style games multiplayer when I'm 80 and need the slow action so my horrible reflexes at that time can handle it :-p
    I think the big problem is that Rubin doesn't think there's a niche for modern FPSes. Or rather, that there shouldn't be.

• edited March 2013
    The second article was great, especially the later part of the discussion. What I absolutely love about ArmA (duh) is that adrenaline rush that I encounter right before an engagement. The anticipation, the threat, the unknown variables. It's completely exhilarating. No other game provides that experience. None.

When games provide you with training wheels to help you never fail, it's so easy to blow off failure; quick respawns and lack of any consequences for dying makes the games the emotional equivalent of fast food. It's the entertainment version of vanishing caloric density, the games have all the lights, bells, and whistles, but no satisfaction in the long term.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • There's nothing wrong with modern FPSs. They're just a different "genre" from older FPSs, the latter of which are not well represented in modern gaming.
  • What's extra funny is that this is Quake 3. Compared to old Quake 1 pro matches, it looks like baby's first slow motion deathmatch. ;^)
  • What's extra funny is that this is Quake 3. Compared to old Quake 1 pro matches, it looks like baby's first slow motion deathmatch. ;^)
    What's even more interesting is that listening to the commentary, the speed and so-called twitch skills aren't what mattered the most. In that 1v1 duel it was really all about map and item control, knowing the precise second the item would appear, knowing how much health and armor the opponent had, and where they were. Since they were both had extremely high aiming skills, that aspect of the game canceled out. If they had played against me, they could have ignored the spawn time of the red armor, and just found me and killed me repeatedly.

I never really took a 1v1 FPS that seriously, but now I see that it has all these aspects that are completely absent from a CTF or a death match. I would love to see some similar commentaries by pros in those other game modes.
  • I <3 Tripwire.
    What's even more interesting is that listening to the commentary, the speed and so-called twitch skills aren't what mattered the most. In that 1v1 duel it was really all about map and item control, knowing the precise second the item would appear, knowing how much health and armor the opponent had, and where they were. Since they were both had extremely high aiming skills, that aspect of the game canceled out. If they had played against me, they could have ignored the spawn time of the red armor, and just found me and killed me repeatedly.

I never really took a 1v1 FPS that seriously, but now I see that it has all these aspects that are completely absent from a CTF or a death match. I would love to see some similar commentaries by pros in those other game modes.
    I once encountered a reddit comment that talked about 1 vs 1 Quake and how much of it is the control of level and items and such. It was quite interesting, but that video was the first time I was able to see it in action like that. Though that video would have been a lot less interesting without the commentary, but maybe that's the problem in spectating all games, if you don't understand it fully, you can't appreciate it fully and more you understand the more you can appreciate high level play.

I once encountered a reddit comment that talked about 1 vs 1 Quake and how much of it is the control of level and items and such. It was quite interesting, but that video was the first time I was able to see it in action like that. Though that video would have been a lot less interesting without the commentary, but maybe that's the problem in spectating all games, if you don't understand it fully, you can't appreciate it fully and more you understand the more you can appreciate high level play.

Exactly! This is why people who know football are always trying to explain it to people who don't like it. Of COURSE you don't like it. If you don't know how the game works, it's not enjoyable.
  • It took longer than I expected for Scott to bring this up.
  • Console controls are better
  • edited March 2013
    This is why TWITCH and other e-sport websites are so good. Explain WTF is going on.

A good commentator can make almost anything watchable/exciting.

Edit: What a great match above!
    Post edited by InvaderREN on