This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PC vs Console FPS Controls: Nails in the Coffin

12346»

Comments

• Oh god this thread is back.

Kill me.
  • *kills you with a 360 no scope trick shot*
  • *kills you more efficiently with a Logitech mouse*
  • *kills you with a sentry while capping yo flag*
  • *kills you with five foot pedals and a twenty button mouse*
  • *Travels to the future where we control video games with direct neural connections. Kills you IRL by plugging your brain into a power outlet.*
  • edited March 2013
    I think the funniest part about it being put in THIS thread, is that it has nothing to do with controls whatsoever.

It's about the game itself, not what control method you're using - I'd even damned near bet that Tripwire was getting PC Call of Duty players(all of whom would be using Keyboard+Mouse), since Tripwire is a PC-only developer, and RO2 is a PC-only game. And they're not stupid.

I wonder if Scott would even like RO2 or Killing floor? Probably not, I think, he'd probably just call them baby games, either that or over-complex, badly designed and stupid. But I don't think he's played them that much, if at all, not enough N's or instances of "Counter" in the name, so we can't know for sure.

I can guarantee you that it will be gloated about on the podcast, though.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited March 2013
    The real debate that needs to be happening is the joystick/gamepad vs keyboard vs steering wheel/pedals for not-really-sims-but-better-than-arcade-style racing games like Dirt2/3.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Semi-relevant: image
  • edited March 2013
    Well, you know that the Normandy Landing and Omaha Beach was overused as a video game setting when it shows up in a Motorcycle platforming game. Which it has.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • The real debate that needs to be happening is the joystick/gamepad vs keyboard vs steering wheel/pedals for not-really-sims-but-better-than-arcade-style racing games like Dirt2/3.
    Definitely not keyboard. I feel like steering wheel/pedals would be more fun, but possibly more difficult as well? I haven't been able to compare.
  • edited March 2013
    The real debate that needs to be happening is the joystick/gamepad vs keyboard vs steering wheel/pedals for not-really-sims-but-better-than-arcade-style racing games like Dirt2/3.
    Definitely not keyboard. I feel like steering wheel/pedals would be more fun, but possibly more difficult as well? I haven't been able to compare.
    To be honest, I think it depends on the game and the player. Dirt2 was great with keyboard, but Dirt 3 was excellent with a controller, the variable steering and throttle was really helpful. Sonic prefers keyboard in both. Same with Driver:SF - a controller was good, but a keyboard is perfectly fine too. But, you try and play NFS: The Run or Most Wanted(the latest one) with a keyboard, it's fucking horrible.

Sadly, I don't have a wheel to compare, so I can't give a full picture, there.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited March 2013
    The keyboard is preferable to me because I don't have a full sized wheel nor permanently mounted pedals. Also, I can tap the brakes as quick as an ABS with my keyboard whereas I can't with my foot on a pedal. I'm sure, however, that if I converted an Initial D cabinet for Dirt3 and added a handbrake lever, I would very quickly match my skill on keyboard.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Weird fact: While myself and our level artist play with a mouse and keyboard, the coder for Bloodcrusher II plays with a controller, and actually implemented 360 controller support. He doesn't think it's better, per say; he actually said that if we later try to get this onto a console, we'd probably want to make it easier. However, he said he just finds controllers a more comfortable and natural way of gaming, and is willing to trade performance for ease of use.

We both think he is totally nuts.
  • He's right.
  • Well you know what my problem is? I CAN'T FUCKING PLAY GAMES ON MY PC.

Buy me a good gaming rig and maybe I'll play PC games.
  • Should have spent those 50 dollars a Xbox costs and gotten a sick ass gaming rig, screen, peripherals and a Windows copy!
  • edited March 2013
    It depends on the game. Strategy games like Civ5 are only good on PCs. Same goes for games like SimCity. Crazy as it sounds I prefer FPS type games (Fallout series, Mass Effect, Half Life) on Xbox. That's probably because I can sit on the couch in the living room with the plasma. I know this can be done with a PC but it's a pain in the ass for me.
    Post edited by fawpodcast on
  • I'd like to argue that strategy games, and the like, would be better on touch-devices. I don't necessarily mean tablets, just devices where your input is a finger.
  • The number one reason a turn based strategy game is better on the PC is the resolution. A 4X game has lots and lots of numbers and information. That can only be inappropriately and comfortably displayed and read on a high resolution PC monitor.

Exhibit A: this screenshot of a modded Civ IV

Real-time strategy games need PC input just for speed's sake. How you gonna micro with a 360 gamepad?
  • Yeah, strategy games need at least a 2048x1536 resolution. And there is certainly no such tablet device that can handle such a high resolution. Ehhh heh heh....
  • Yeah, strategy games need at least a 2048x1536 resolution. And there is certainly no such tablet device that can handle such a high resolution. Ehhh heh heh....
    Many, many people have uncorrected vision problems and can't fully utilize high resolution on small screens.

• Real-time strategy games need PC input just for speed's sake. How you gonna micro with a 360 gamepad?
    Clearly, we need a new and better way of sending input

• Many, many people have uncorrected vision problems and can't fully utilize high resolution on small screens.

You can just get a magnifying glass at your local pharmacy.

• That way you can enjoy some insanely high resolution strategy gameing whilst simultaneously looking like a cool Sherlock Holmes kind of person
  • Real-time strategy games need PC input just for speed's sake. How you gonna micro with a 360 gamepad?
    Clearly, we need a new and better way of sending input
    I challenge you to a game of strategema!