This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• I don't see myself overclocking a processor or running more than the highest standard ram for the processor and motherboard in the near future. My core 2 duo is still enough for everything I do. The only time that changes is if I'm going to need to crunch some major data, but in that case I'm probably talking about work which is a different animal entirely.
  • Faster RAM does nothing if you're not clocked to use it. It has zero effect (other than a slightly increased tolerance for heat) if you don't use it.
    From what I know, most Sandy Bridge motherboards and CPUs do support DDR3 as fast as 2133MHz; it's just that the official figure is 1333MHz.

However, the more important point is that even when the faster RAM speed is actually used, it still makes for the tiniest of performance gains.

See here for benchmarks and information.
    The bigger issue (as I learned the hard way) is that CPUs at certain clock speeds can't handle certain RAM speeds, at least with the Sandy Bridge architecture. Had some 1666MHz, and had to send it back to get some 1333MHz, because my motherboard auto-overclocked to compensate. My CPU kept overheating and the system kept going into failsafe auto-shutdown.
  • Wait wait, should I have not ordered those chips?
  • Wait wait, should I have not ordered those chips?
    Nah, you're fine. Your CPU is a mean bitch; she'll take it.
  • WEI on my old busted Core 2 Duo desktop that I use every day.

CPU 6.6
    Memory 6.9 (giggity)
    Graphics 7.4
    gaming graphics 7.4
    HDD 7.7 (SSD)

No real point in upgrading anytime soon.
  • I was looking for a laptop to replace the netbook I've been using for the last year or so. After an initial search and such I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MX0WHU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I looked at other laptops with similar specs and realized that they were about $400 dollars more. Good choice?
  • Kind of a budget system:

CPU 7.3
    Memory 7.3
    Graphics 7.7
    HDD 5.9

High graphics on BF3 is fine but Metro 2033 has been heating up my GPU more than I'd like so I think I'll get some better fans. The CPU never tops 55 with the Freezer 7 Pro but there's not a lot of airflow around the graphics card. I suppose that's what BTX was meant to solve but it never caught on.
  • I was looking for a laptop to replace the netbook I've been using for the last year or so. After an initial search and such I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MX0WHU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I looked at other laptops with similar specs and realized that they were about $400 dollars more. Good choice?
    For that money just get Lenovo X series.
  • Processor: 7.5
    RAM: 7.8
    Graphics: 7.7
    HDD: 5.4
  • Processor: 7.4
    Ram, Graphics, Gaming Graphics: 7.8 (I think they're unwilling to give 7.9)
    HDD: 5.9 (Oh no, I don't have an SSD!)

Then again, I built my computer last summer. It's fairly new.
  • edited May 2012
    I got some 7.9s; I'll post the specific result when I got home. They definitely hate on you for not having an SSD, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah, I've noticed that on everyone running the check.

Really, 7.9's? Huh. 7.8 just seems like such a bitchy score to give.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Here's mine:
    Processor: 7.6
    RAM: 7.8
    Graphics: 7.9
    Gaming graphics: 7.9
    HDD: 7.9
  • Processor: 7.5
    Graphics: 7.7
    Penis: 7.8
  • So, my new ram arrived today and I installed it, but I'm just getting error beeps. Wtf. How do I fix this shit?
  • Look up what the beep code means.

Boot up with every combination of chips (old and new). It will be a tedious process to determine the problem.
  • So, my new ram arrived today and I installed it, but I'm just getting error beeps. Wtf. How do I fix this shit?
    Hmm, is the RAM properly seated in its slots? Did you add the new RAM to the old RAM or replace the old RAM?

There are a bajillion things that could cause this. The most recent time I've seen it, it was because I got some incompatible RAM. Apparently, despite doing all the due diligence on making sure my RAM and motherboard were matched, there was some very minor revision that wasn't described on either the motherboard's or the RAM's (Crucial.com) website that resulted in an incompatibility. Fortunately, Crucial exchanged the RAM at no charge (except for shipping the old RAM back) and the new RAM worked fine.

• Fuuu. I've completely replaced all 4 chips, so should I just put each one in the first slot one at a time or what?
  • Ok, no matter which of my new chips go in I get ram error beeps. Fantastic.
  • edited June 2012
    Well, the beeps have stopped but now I don't even know if its booting as the screens arn't going on.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Well, the beeps have stopped but now I don't even know if its booting as the screens arn't going on.
    How new is your motherboard. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many newer motherboards require RAM to be installed in groups of 3? Or do you have some of your older chips in there?
  • edited June 2012
    I had 4 chips before and 4 now. I am pretty sure its not the ram now; I'm almost certain I was putting it in wrong. Now I have this unrelated screen thing that happens with both my old and new chips.

If its not one thing, its another...
  • edited June 2012
    Well, the beeps have stopped but now I don't even know if its booting as the screens arn't going on.
    How new is your motherboard. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many newer motherboards require RAM to be installed in groups of 3? Or do you have some of your older chips in there?
    Nah, it's mostly dual-channel these days, and besides, dual/triple channel don't force you to have 2/3 sticks. If it doesn't work with one stick, it won't work with more.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Ok, so. The computer itself is turning on bo problem, no beeps or whatever. However, none of my other computet stuff is going. Screens aren't getting signal and keyboard and mouse aren't lighting up. Please advise.
  • Sounds like a motherboard short or something. Did you mess with anything else in the case?
  • edited June 2012
    Nope, but the ram is on the processor so it seems likely I might have fucked that up. If so, do I need a new processor?
  • Make sure you put the RAM in ALL THE WAY.
  • I have done so. I didn't at first.
  • Nope, but the ram is on the processor...
    Do you mean the motherboard? Your ram is snapping into the motherboard.

Are any fans spinning? Are there any lights on at all? Did you make sure when you push down the RAM it snaps in all the way as Scott said?
  • So, you were replacing your RAM on a previously-working computer and now it won't start? Did you do anything other than replace the RAM?

Also, does it work with the old RAM?