This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• FWIW, I don't have my SSD for gaming anymore. SSD is scratch space for video/audio editing. Even CS I play from a spinnind disk.
    IIRC, your SSD isn't 256GB. And Counter-Strike doesn't have the load times of NS2.
  • It's 32GB... =P
  • What RPM is your disk? Or should I be looking at some other metric such as cache size?
  • What do people think of the hybrid hard drives? Do they work? Do they give enough speed boost to be worth it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178339
  • How much impact does HDD cache have on performance? Does a high amount of cache on a 5400 RPM drive give better performance than a low amount of cache on a 7200 RPM drive?

Is SSD better than even the best spinning disc? Is there a sweet spot?
  • edited June 2013
    How much impact does HDD cache have on performance? Does a high amount of cache on a 5400 RPM drive give better performance than a low amount of cache on a 7200 RPM drive?

Is SSD better than even the best spinning disc? Is there a sweet spot?
    I don't know about the cache and the RPMs. I do know that even the crappiest SSDs are incredibly fast compared to even the fastest magnetic discs. The magnetic discs can only approach SSD speeds when you them striped with a hardware controller and such.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited June 2013
    Does SSD have a read/write limit the way thumb drives do?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • edited June 2013
    Does SSD have a read/write limit the way thumb drives do?
    Yes. It is so large, you will never have to think about it. By the time you hit it, you will be able to get another SSD that is bigger for way less. But, it is another reason not to store data on SSD, just programs.
  • What RPM is your disk? Or should I be looking at some other metric such as cache size?
    3.5" 7200RPM. The 10K desktop drives are usually just 2.5" drives in a 3.5" holder and thus aren't actually faster. You could try optimizing like windows on one drive and everything else on another, but I found the tiny performance boast to not be effort all the configuration effort.
  • With an SSD, Windows 8 on my computer boots in five seconds. That's more than worth it to me.
  • What do people think of the hybrid hard drives? Do they work? Do they give enough speed boost to be worth it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178339
    Not worth it from my experience.
  • Modern games lag on my 560 Ti. Bronz stole my 7870XT, so I don't have that any more. What do I do? Will a 660 be able to run games, or do you need a X80/Titan for 2560x1440 at 60FPS vsync. Which of the X80's is the most value for my money currently? Should I just buy another 7870 XT for like 10 bucks since that ran the things I tested just fine? It glitches on Win 8 though...
  • The 780 isn't THAT much more expensive than the 680, which itself is a big jump in price from lower models.

I don't know about good benchmarks though.
  • edited June 2013
    If I was just gaming I would get a 660 or 670. I got a 680 because I'm Adobe Creative Clouding AND gaming. Waiting for a 760/770 is not a bad idea either.
  • I noticed some lag on my 560Ti, but I'm thinking it's more of my Mobo/CPU since it's from 2007. I'm not doing any hardcore online gaming, other than TF2/BL2, so I'm in no rush to upgrade right now. Also, monies.
  • I'm trying to decide between the AMD 8 core CPUs and the new Intel Haswells i5s. What's better for gaming? I have a few months to wait until I haz the cash for the upgrade.
  • I'm trying to decide between the AMD 8 core CPUs and the new Intel Haswells i5s. What's better for gaming? I have a few months to wait until I haz the cash for the upgrade.
    I would not get an AMD period. The CPU really doesn't matter so much for gaming. GPU matters most. I had an 8800GT in my Core 2 Duo, and I upgraded it to a GTX460 or 470, and it was a HUGE boost. Core 2 Duo was not a bottleneck at all.

Since the CPU performance hardly matters for gaming, concentrate on reliability and stability, which means Intel.
  • Tom's Hardware has a monthly roundup of the best graphics cards for the money. They haven't done June yet, but here's the one for May:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
  • I would not get an AMD period. The CPU really doesn't matter so much for gaming. GPU matters most. I had an 8800GT in my Core 2 Duo, and I upgraded it to a GTX460 or 470, and it was a HUGE boost. Core 2 Duo was not a bottleneck at all.

Since the CPU performance hardly matters for gaming, concentrate on reliability and stability, which means Intel.
    Depends on the game, although the vast majority of games are mostly GPU-bound. If you're into hard core simulation games though, some of them are much more CPU-intensive.

When I get around to building my next gaming rig, I definitely am going to go the big CPU and GPU route (within budget/reason) as I do like the hard core simulators as well as regular games (plus, I intend my desktop to be a workstation I can cruise on for 5-6 years or so, if possible).
  • Some games (cough... Bethesda... Cough) do not work so well with multi core CPUs. In those instances you have to edit the ini file for the game and tell it not use the other cores.
  • edited June 2013
    Some games (cough... Bethesda... Cough) do not work so well with multi core CPUs. In those instances you have to edit the ini file for the game and tell it not use the other cores.
    WTF? What kind of moron programmer writes code that doesn't run well on multi-core CPUs? Either you write purely single-threaded code that doesn't care about how many cores you got, or you write multi-threaded code with proper synchronization so they'll work fine no matter how many cores you got. If you can't write multi-threaded code that runs properly on multi-core CPUs (assuming a reasonable amount of testing/debugging before shipping, of course), you shouldn't be writing multi-threaded code. Ugh.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
    I would not get an AMD period. The CPU really doesn't matter so much for gaming. GPU matters most. I had an 8800GT in my Core 2 Duo, and I upgraded it to a GTX460 or 470, and it was a HUGE boost. Core 2 Duo was not a bottleneck at all.

Well I have an AMD 6870 and a Core 2 Quad 9550 and my computer struggles with BF3 a bit. My GPU is supposed to be fairly decent, but it has trouble 1600x1000 resolution with BF. I'm not so sure the CPU actually can't keep up, I think it's more that the 1333MHz FSB is bottle necking things. It's a 4 years old for me, 6 year old tech, I think it's time to upgrade the base components.

Well I have an AMD 6870 and a Core 2 Quad 9550 and my computer struggles with BF3 a bit. My GPU is supposed to be fairly decent, but it has trouble 1600x1000 resolution with BF. I'm not so sure the CPU actually can't keep up, I think it's more that the 1333MHz FSB is bottle necking things. It's a 4 years old for me, 6 year old tech, I think it's time to upgrade the base components.
    Are you sure, are are you just guessing? Go collect some data/evidence.

Are you sure, are are you just guessing? Go collect some data/evidence.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/356207-33-6870-frame-rate-drops-battlefield
  • Scott asking someone to collect data on something?
    Yeah, you would think that he would seek out the answers himself by doing a quick Google search.
    Scott asking someone to collect data on something?
    Yeah, you would think that he would seek out the answers himself by doing a quick Google search.
    I meant data as in looking at his system performance monitors and such. Is the CPU running at 100%? Are there perhaps graphics settings enabled that the GPU doesn't support so the CPU is doing the GPU's work? Not Google research.
  • It's more a comment on Scott's tendency to make baseless assertions on the podcast, which he seems to do less on the forum.
  • edited June 2013
    With a 6870 I'm supposed to average about 50+ frames a second on high detail settings at 1080P. I have everything low or off and I'm only barely managing 50 with a lower res monitor. Also, BF3 multiplayer maps are massive and grind on the CPU a lot more than you think. So yeah, I think the GPU is not the issue here. Whether it's the FSB or the CPU doesn't really matter because the solution is the same.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited June 2013
    I'm running a Asus EAH6850, at decently high detail (Though I keep AA at 2x) I get 40-60 FPS at 1080 even on maps like Strike at Karkand (Probably the highest mix of size and density.). It takes a dive to 20-30 when things get hectic but as long as NS2 runs fine, I'm not too concerned.
    Post edited by Omnutia on