This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• Rearranged the cables for better airflow and now have a rest temp of 38-40 depending on how hot ambient is. Max is 58.
  • The cause of my woes seems to be bent CPU socket pins. No idea how this happened. I was super careful. <_>
  • Update on the new case: I noticed that before, if the GPU sensor hit 66 degrees, games would usually crash. Now I can set the GPU into it's most casual fan speed mode and it will max at 67 degrees without games crashing.
  • My GPU regularly hits 100°C without issue.
  • It depends on the chip, but the temps modern chips are comfortable at are just nuts these days.
  • I think the temp sensor isn't located within the chip itself like CPUs are these days.

Careful about going up to 100c. The CPU may be fine but the board may begin to bend. This was the RROD cause, the board would bend and break off any solder joins that weren't done properly.
  • What is the consensus on getting the $199 chrome book and putting Linux on it? Is it worth it?
  • Pete just likes his Chromebook straight up, I don't think he's felt the need to mess with it.
  • Here's my current build, not showing side fan.
  • Soo. How bad is it if your PSU fan stops working? I just recently noticed this today as I was about to clean it.

I'm pretty sure this means I shouldn't use my PC until I replace it with a new PSU. :(

So much for BL2, unless I want to play it on my HTPC.
  • Mine stopped a while ago. My computer was mostly fine until I was gaming. Then it would just shut off. Your fan might not spool up until it's needed though so that may be normal operation.
  • Yeah, I read that some fans don't start going after a while, but I don't think mine is the case. At least it didn't say that in the manual I recently found online. Apparently the people who made my computer forgot to include that. I recently found out my case had a removable screen to clean off the dust in the front. I've had the thing for almost 7 years now.
  • So in order to replace my PSU, I need to remove my large Zalman fan from the CPU. So my question is, should/can I remove the fan with CPU together from the mobo? Or should I just remove the fan from the CPU leaving it on the mobo? If I remove the fan from the CPU do I need to put on new thermal paste? I really don't want to bother taking it to the computer store to where they may charge me.

Halp! :(
  • Hey Ro, if you want to catch me on skype I can tell you more in depth but I would go with removing the motherboard as you may have the PSU bumping into it as you remove it. Any time you take the cooler away from the CPU, you have to wipe it down with alcohol and put new paste on it so that air bubbles don't form (Try super hard to avoid dust.).

Does your case have the square cutout on the back that lets you get to the underside CPU bracket? Looks like this from the back.

• No idea. Man. As much as I want to learn about this, I'm pretty fucking exhausted from my new work schedule.

I'm probably better off asking friends or getting installed by the people I purchased the PSU from. They did say if they had spare time they could install it real quick for me.

Thank you, though.

One day I will learn. Perhaps when I upgrade my mobo, CPU, & RAM.
  • My child broke her/his drawing tablet board this week. S/he has always been rough on cords and I think the cord got stressed and broke. I plan on taking it apart and seeing if I can fix it but since it will likely happen again I am looking at a few options:

1) Surface Pro - the idea of drawing directly on the surface and running full windows software is very appealing.

2) Bamboo Tablet - I could get another bamboo tablet (with a stronger cord?) This would be the cheapest option.

3) build a new gaming rig with a multi-touch monitor.

Anyone have experience drawing on PC with any of the above options?
  • How old is she/he?
  • Why are you referring to your child as if you don't know there gender? Are they transgendered or something?
  • S/he is 14.
  • If you can afford it, all out Surface Pro sounds like an awesome present for that age.
  • What about the laptops where the screen turns and swivels so it lays flat over the keyboard? Those are more like the original 'tablet' PCs.
  • edited July 2013
    The few genderqueer people I know prefer the gender-neutral "they" for pronouns, but ultimately if you want to be respectful you ask them what pronoun they want and always use that one. S/he would be appropriate only for somebody who asked you to refer to them that way. If you don't know, ask.

I hate breaking cords when the rest of the thing is unbroken. I have heard very good things about the Surface Pro, as well, and it will probably last longer.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I'm not an expert. I know Mike Krahulik reviewed some tablet like that, and liked it a lot, but was given it for free... and I think it was kind of expensive.
  • I think Steve just doesn't want to put information of any kind about his kids on the internet.
  • What do you guys recommend for monitors that aren't horribly expensive? That's pretty much the first thing I'm buying once I have a job until I can afford a new PC, but I don't want to shell out hundreds for an Ultrasharp.
  • I got a 1080 Dell monitor from craigslist for $60.
  • I'm not an expert. I know Mike Krahulik reviewed some tablet like that, and liked it a lot, but was given it for free... and I think it was kind of expensive.
    That was the Surface Pro.

• edited July 2013
    Trying to decide between a 7950 and a 760. I'm heavily leaning towards the 760. (They are both the exact same price). Last time I was in this situation it was between the 7870XT and 660 Ti, and I'm very glad I went with the 7870XT. It performed much better than it was reported to do after a software update and has not given me any trouble. Having been forced to use 2x560Ti for a bit now, I'm weary of the hassle that comes with picking Nvidia. Framerates have also been all over the place, while the AMD seemed to be more consistent (as I've also noticed doing research on which to buy between 7950 and 760.) That being said, one of my two 560 Ti's has a defect and they have different amounts of RAM which makes SLI very finicky. Using one for graphics and one for PhysX was also less than ideal.

I have to decide today. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit: I play games at 2560x1440, so the additional vram provided by the 7950 might make a difference.
    Post edited by Aria on
  • Compare benchmarks on Anandtech.
  • I did. 7950 was more for the money, but ended up buying the 760 4GB version for $320, since it is slightly better. 7950 3GB was $260.